Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Super Moderator
Steve's Information
Thanked 5,323 Times in 3,783 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Chats: 1592
4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to set driveline pinion angles
by 4.3LXJ 05-15-2011, 01:22 PM

Since I am not a member, and since you do not have an official post on how to set driveline pinion angles, I thought I would post here. Driveline pinion angles come up often and I get tired of going through the same thing repeatedly, so I thought a post was in order so we would all have access to this information. It is also easier for me to just give a link to our own website. So here it is.

It is not all that hard. You just need to do what professionals do. I have done this many times. First, you need to purchase an angle finder, or if you have an Android, download an angle finder app. The angle finders are cheap and look like this:

The pic above shows you how to measure off the pinion. Then place the angle finder on the the fill plug or any other vertical machined surface on your transfer case and measure that. Next, what you do depends on whether or not you have a SYE or standard set up.

If you have a standard setup with a stock tcase, your driveline geometry needs to like like this:

If this is the case, you will subtract one value from the other and that is the number of degrees you need to change the pinion. It needs to match as close as possible the angle on the tcase. This can be done with shims, or if you have not welded your spring purchases you can rotate the axel housing till you get the right angle and then tack weld them in place.

If you have an SYE (slip yoke eliminator) and a double cardan U joint on the tcase end of the driveline, then the geometry you need is this:

To get this, loosen the ubolts and place a jack under the pinion and raise the pinion until the driveline angle is the same as the pinion angle, or an easy way to put it is just raise it until the pinion U joint has no angle to it. It needs to look like this.

Measure the new pinion angle and then subtract the first value from the second and then that is the amount of shim you need, or if you have not welded the spring pads then tack weld them in that position.

As long as you have not exceeded the angle the U joints will accommodate without the yokes hitting, you will have vibration free driving.
Griffin radiator
On board air
Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
30 gal gas tank
lockers
And a bunch of other stuff

Last edited by 4.3LXJ; 08-14-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Views 15872 Comments 8
The Following User Says Thank You to 4.3LXJ For This Useful Post:
LizardRunner (05-23-2011)
Total Comments 8

Comments

Old 05-15-2011
Bear(Mr.Hardcore)
Bernard's Information

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Chats: 25988
4x4Dalton has a reputation beyond repute4x4Dalton has a reputation beyond repute4x4Dalton has a reputation beyond repute4x4Dalton has a reputation beyond repute4x4Dalton has a reputation beyond repute4x4Dalton has a reputation beyond repute4x4Dalton has a reputation beyond repute4x4Dalton has a reputation beyond repute4x4Dalton has a reputation beyond repute4x4Dalton has a reputation beyond repute4x4Dalton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to set driveline pinion angles

Great info man. Thanks alot!!
Old 05-30-2011
Show Me The Trails
Mar's Information

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chats: 251
modestmar00xj is a jewel in the roughmodestmar00xj is a jewel in the roughmodestmar00xj is a jewel in the rough
macossafari

very interesting! thanks for the post!
6.5'' Rough Country lift, 35x12.5x15 BFGoodrich M/T's, 15'' Cragars Beadlocks, Rusty's TBS, A.A. SYE, Optima (red top) Battery, CB Radio w/5'' Fire Stick Antenna, Flowmaster Super 44 Dual Custom Exaust, 4 Cheep 2'' Bumper Lights, Custom Front bumper /w Stinger, Yakama Bike Rack, Garmin GPS, Kenwood 6.5'' Indash Radio, 4 6.5'' Kenwood Speakers, 12' Alpine Type R Sub In Custom Jeep Enclosure, Alpine mono Amp, Ect.
Old 08-08-2011
"Just some guy"
Tony's Information

Thanked 5,090 Times in 3,198 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Chats: 24604
Mudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
windows_xp_2003safari
View Mudderoy's Twitter Profile

Ok I remembered to check this before I put the rear drive shaft back in.

The yoke is 15 degrees and then measuring from the shaft of the transfer case is 5, maybe 6 degrees. So I'm only 10 off!!!!

Do they make shims specifically for aligning the axle? Standard parts places? I'll ask O'reily's when I return the starter core tomorrow.

I guess it's 15 degrees because of the rear shackle...
Old 08-08-2011
Super Moderator
Steve's Information

4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute
macossafari

Tony.

It is not the angle of the shaft since you don't have an SYE. It is the angle of the transfer case yoke compared to the angle of the pinion yoke.
Griffin radiator
On board air
30 gal gas tank
lockers
Old 08-08-2011
Done gone to the Dark Side
Matt's Information

Thanked 1,319 Times in 629 Posts
Groans: 4
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Chats: 13082
msmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
windows_98_nt_2000firefox

Rough Country sells the shims. I would wait till you do a SYE to shim it. I know mine is wrong but the plan is to a bastard pack and shim it to get rid of the blocks. Also I had no real choice on the SYE due to the slip yoke drive shaft play. You can see i'm way out

Old 08-08-2011
"Just some guy"
Tony's Information

Mudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
Tony.

It is not the angle of the shaft since you don't have an SYE. It is the angle of the transfer case yoke compared to the angle of the pinion yoke.
Hmmm so the end of the shaft coming out of the transfer case, the flat end that is perpendicular to the ground isn't the same as the back of the transfer case?
Old 08-08-2011
Super Moderator
Steve's Information

macossafari

Yes, it should be. You can just measure the flat machined part of the tcase. If you had a 10 difference between that and the angle of the face of the yoke then you would have a vibration so bad you could not stand it. I don't want to be confusing about this. The two angles need to be as close as possible.
Griffin radiator
On board air
30 gal gas tank
lockers
Old 08-08-2011
"Just some guy"
Tony's Information

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
Yes, it should be. You can just measure the flat machined part of the tcase. If you had a 10 difference between that and the angle of the face of the yoke then you would have a vibration so bad you could not stand it. I don't want to be confusing about this. The two angles need to be as close as possible.
I'll measure it tonight, and take some picture so we can see if I'm doing it right.

I agree I figured the vibes would be pretty bad with that big a difference. But they are not... A mystery!