Silly Check engine light o2 sensor - Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
ShopJeepParts.com
Advertise on xjtalk

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk > It's Technical... > OEM/Factory

Notices

OEM/Factory Adding or repairing items that came from, or would have come from the factory. (ex: replacing alternator, won't start, water pump, etc...)

Old 10-09-2011
Red XJ Owner
John's Information

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chats: 1102
Joliet Johnny is a splendid one to beholdJoliet Johnny is a splendid one to beholdJoliet Johnny is a splendid one to beholdJoliet Johnny is a splendid one to beholdJoliet Johnny is a splendid one to beholdJoliet Johnny is a splendid one to beholdJoliet Johnny is a splendid one to behold
Garage
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default Silly Check engine light o2 sensor

My check engine light has come on so I went to Advanced to have them pull the code from it. It came back with a downdraft o2 sensor. The odd thing is that my XJ runs smoother and quieter than it ever has and gas mileage is about the same. I also noticed I can sit in traffic longer before the temp gauge creeps up. This is my 1st vehicle with 2 o2 sensors and in the state of IL we need to emissions test before we can renew plates every 2 years (eg. 1999 will be tested this year because its 2011 but 2012 I dont have to do it) I want to replace both sensors but Im unsure of which brands of o2 sensors to buy and the 1999 XJ uses the same sensor both before and after the cat right?
Old 10-09-2011
Dusty Grocery Getter
Carves's Information

Thanked 1,718 Times in 901 Posts
Groans: 3
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Chats: 2800
Carves has a reputation beyond reputeCarves has a reputation beyond reputeCarves has a reputation beyond reputeCarves has a reputation beyond reputeCarves has a reputation beyond reputeCarves has a reputation beyond reputeCarves has a reputation beyond reputeCarves has a reputation beyond reputeCarves has a reputation beyond reputeCarves has a reputation beyond reputeCarves has a reputation beyond repute
windows_xp_2003ie
Default Re: Silly Check engine light o2 sensor

My understanding of the info in the FSM is that its the upstream sensor, that does the fuel mix fine tuning .... and the downstream one just provides comparison results against the programmed preset values ... so the PCM can "see" when the cat is inneffective and trigger the CEL.

What was the actual code they pulled ??

Bad connections in the wiring and a dodgy sensor are probably the main issues to consider.

NGK/NKN are rumoured to be original equipment ... RockAuto normally has 'em.

The different part numbers normally relate to the connector type & wire length .... not that one O2 sensor is different from another.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carves For This Useful Post:
jeepxj95 (10-10-2011), Joliet Johnny (10-10-2011)
Old 10-13-2011
Level: Jeep Compass
Tyler's Information

Chats: 0
cyclone70 will become famous soon enough
windows_xp_2003ie

Wait at least a few days before replacing anything.
We have had the MIL light go on and go back out in a few
days because of crappy fuel.
Adj. Elec. Fan Tstat
Air Lift Rear Bags
2 1/2" S/S Exhaust System
Onboard Air for Airbags
Old 10-13-2011
Super Moderator
James's Information

Thanked 1,002 Times in 730 Posts
Chats: 27641
bluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond repute
windows_xp_2003firefox

The O2 sensor before and after the cat are different part numbers.. I was wondering this when I had my CEL cut on.. then again I drove it that way for almost a year with the CEL on for the rear O2 sensor.. Apparently one is a heated O2 sensor and one isn't.. at least that is the way it was explained to me on why one is more expensive than the other.. I just picked up one out of the JY to make sure that my vehicle side of the harness wasn't messed up, and my CEL light went out instantly and haven't seen it since..
Old 10-13-2011
Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
Jon's Information

Thanked 1,579 Times in 783 Posts
Chats: 15711
prerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond reputeprerunner1982 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
windows_98_nt_2000firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedragon436 View Post
The O2 sensor before and after the cat are different part numbers........Apparently one is a heated O2 sensor and one isn't.. at least that is the way it was explained to me on why one is more expensive than the other..
I was going to mention this as well, but my only experience with O2 sensors has been on a Chevy Blazer so I was not sure it that was the case with an XJ or not.

Red Dirt Jeeps

Old 10-13-2011
Tim's Information

Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Chats: 16
dagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant future
windows_98_nt_2000safari
View dagr8tim's Twitter Profile

I don't have a downstream sensor because the PO deleted the cat. I was considering looking at the wiring schematic for the heated o2 and seeing if I could rig up a simulator to get rid of my CEL.
Old 10-13-2011
"Just some guy"
Tony's Information

Thanked 5,086 Times in 3,195 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Chats: 24582
Mudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
View Mudderoy's Twitter Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8tim View Post
I don't have a downstream sensor because the PO deleted the cat. I was considering looking at the wiring schematic for the heated o2 and seeing if I could rig up a simulator to get rid of my CEL.
100 for a CAT, 44 for a pipe from the header to the cat (with the O2 bung) and 65 for a bosch O2 sensor.
Old 10-13-2011
Tim's Information

dagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant futuredagr8tim has a brilliant future
windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
100 for a CAT, 44 for a pipe from the header to the cat (with the O2 bung) and 65 for a bosch O2 sensor.
I've got the cat from my 98 with 02. The PO just welded an adaptor to a chunk of straight tail pipe and put it in place of the cat.
Old 10-13-2011
"Just some guy"
Tony's Information

Thanked 5,086 Times in 3,195 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Chats: 24582
Mudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
View Mudderoy's Twitter Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8tim View Post
I've got the cat from my 98 with 02. The PO just welded an adaptor to a chunk of straight tail pipe and put it in place of the cat.
There's other ways to do it of course, I was just giving you worse case which to me sounded easier than trying to fab up something to fool the computer.
Old 10-13-2011
Tim's Information

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
There's other ways to do it of course, I was just giving you worse case which to me sounded easier than trying to fab up something to fool the computer.
I know. Tinkering with electronics is more fun. Althought I do not know if it would be illegal to build a simulator to make your computer think it had a sensor that was non existent.