Thread: HELP! - I need info on 2wd to 4wd swap

Default HELP! - I need info on 2wd to 4wd swap

well the title says just about all of it except this. my jeep is GREEN, hah and also that its a 1993 2wd 4.0 HO 4door. i've got a ax15 5 speed and the 8.25 rear end, but enough of that.
    i'm wanting general info on what transfer case and axle to swap in and basically what to look for at the pic-a-part and what not. I'm mechanically inclined and able to do the swap however i've owned muscle cars all my vida and this is the first jeep i've ever had. how i can say that i've been dreaming this build for a year.

Default Re: HELP! - I need info on 2wd to 4wd swap

I don't know all the specifics on the tcase but msmooresburg (Matt) has done a this swap and likely knows the specifics.
    I have the same AX15 and i know I have had a hard time finding the correct lenth front DS both times ive replaced mine.

Tail shaft from a 4wd AX15 and a 231 transfercase, If it were me I would go to a JY and take the front axle,trans and transfer case and driveshafts out of the same veh it will make life alot nicer for ya. Good luck
    Aint got no whistle, don't belch out smoke, but my V10 aint no joke !!!

Which transfer case depends on what you want for 4WD. The NP231 is the standard tcase, but the full time version is the NP242. So, outside of that there are a couple of things to look for. One is the spline count on the output shaft of the tranny. They came in 21 and 23 spline. The later AX15s had the 23, not sure what year that started. The other thing is the vacuum switch for the front end. The early D30s had an axle disconnect that is operated by the vacuum switch on the back of the tcase and had mechanical speedo cable. The 96 and up for sure had electronic speedo and speed sensor for the OBDII. Same cases, just different inputs and switch and speedometer stuff. It can all be changed however. But the best thing to do is find another 87 - 95 donor rig and get the tranny, tcase, front and rear driveline, tcase linkage and front end. Steering and suspension are the same.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

sweet another local guy . The swap is easy and straight forward. My 91 started out as a 2wd (see my build thread) I got a parts jeep but pickapart is down the road from you. pm me i'll get ya started
    Trailer Queen Jeep Member (Hoping Bigjim350 will show me how to wheel since 2011)
    Now charging a shop fee!

Was just looking at the new issue of JP magazine and they have an article on a 2wd to 4wd swap. Its in a MJ with a AX15 so everything should be the same for you. Gives great general info.