Setting Timing on 4.0 jeep - Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
http://www.ironman4x4fab.com
Advertise on xjtalk

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk > It's Technical... > OEM/Factory

Notices

OEM/Factory Adding or repairing items that came from, or would have come from the factory. (ex: replacing alternator, won't start, water pump, etc...)

Old 03-27-2011
Crawlin'
Scott's Information

Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Chats: 3834
XJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant future
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default Setting Timing on 4.0 jeep

Alright after talking with Justin from WORP I have decided that I might need to A. check my timing and B. adjust my timing...
At this point I DO have a timing light and I do have a jeep that is running
what I DON'T have is knowledge of how to adjust the timing and how to CHECK it properly Ive checked youtube for jeep specific but came up with nothing.
Can anyone show me where the indicators are on the crank pulley and also I need to know how to adjust the timing... I am PRETTY sure its on the distributor but where do I clock it?
Old 03-27-2011
Done gone to the Dark Side
Matt's Information

Thanked 1,412 Times in 663 Posts
Groans: 5
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Chats: 13348
msmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Setting Timing on 4.0 jeep

here is my info i dug up!

Adjusting the Dist cap

Hope it helps If your still lost I'll dig up my light and you can swing by
Old 03-28-2011
Crawlin'
Scott's Information

XJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant future
windows_xp_2003firefox

I have a light what Im wondering is on the crankshaft pulley shown in the very last pic above is where is the indicator? shouldnt there be some sort of indicator when at idle it sits in that field when looked at through the timing gun...
Old 03-28-2011
Mall Crawler
James's Information

Thanked 1,819 Times in 1,058 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Chats: 22456
bigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond repute
windows_98_nt_2000ie

The only indicator on the crank pulley, will be a small groove on the rear of the pulley. If you look down at your pulley, with the belt on, you can see just a small amount of the metal pulley behind the belt. The groove your looking for will be there.
Old 03-28-2011
Payless 4WD Chico Ca
Mark's Information

Chats: 2951
xj4life2 has a reputation beyond reputexj4life2 has a reputation beyond reputexj4life2 has a reputation beyond reputexj4life2 has a reputation beyond reputexj4life2 has a reputation beyond reputexj4life2 has a reputation beyond reputexj4life2 has a reputation beyond reputexj4life2 has a reputation beyond reputexj4life2 has a reputation beyond reputexj4life2 has a reputation beyond reputexj4life2 has a reputation beyond repute
windows_xp_2003ie
View xj4life2's Twitter Profile

Uhmmm timming on a 4.0 is computer controlled based on the signal from the cam pos and the crank pos sensor you should not have to adjust it at all. If you do the computer will try to put it back where it thinks it should be.
Old 03-28-2011
I drive a geezer jeep
Chip's Information

Groans: 2
Chats: 7190
LizardRunner has a reputation beyond reputeLizardRunner has a reputation beyond reputeLizardRunner has a reputation beyond reputeLizardRunner has a reputation beyond reputeLizardRunner has a reputation beyond reputeLizardRunner has a reputation beyond reputeLizardRunner has a reputation beyond reputeLizardRunner has a reputation beyond reputeLizardRunner has a reputation beyond reputeLizardRunner has a reputation beyond reputeLizardRunner has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
windows_vistaie

I have to agree with Payless on this one. the only time you "set the timing" is when you're replacing the timing chain and sprockets or changing the cam. In those instances you are setting to timing marks on the sprockets. Our wonderful sensors do the rest and any trying to manually set it will just make it AFU.
2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , but green bits will be going under the hood. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight
Old 03-29-2011
Crawlin'
Scott's Information

windows_xp_2003firefox

ok so what would cause the whole back firing now when I let off throttle... I was talking to worp a few days ago and he said it sounds like a timing issue... so what am I lookin for here? I DID take my light to it today and noticed that it fluctuated at idle but when placed under about 3500 RPMs it holds steady while increasing the RPMs it moves up a little bit, but when I let off the little dot dances around on the dial area... I opened up the distributor to check things out and found nothing out of place but I did clean the surface of the rotor which really wasnt an issue so im lost...
Old 03-29-2011
www.racingforthecure.ca
Jenssen's Information

Chats: 1500
JENSSEN has a reputation beyond reputeJENSSEN has a reputation beyond reputeJENSSEN has a reputation beyond reputeJENSSEN has a reputation beyond reputeJENSSEN has a reputation beyond reputeJENSSEN has a reputation beyond reputeJENSSEN has a reputation beyond reputeJENSSEN has a reputation beyond reputeJENSSEN has a reputation beyond reputeJENSSEN has a reputation beyond reputeJENSSEN has a reputation beyond repute
windows_xp_2003firefox

Check your EGR,...
2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo
1994 Grand Cherokee
1990 Comanche Eliminator
1990 Comanche Sport Truck
1989 Comanche Sport Truck
1988 Comanche
1986 Comanche Metric Ton Turbo Diesel
1989 Cherokee Chopped Comp Rig

WWW.RACINGFORTHECURE.CA
Old 03-30-2011
I drive a geezer jeep
Chip's Information

Groans: 2
Chats: 7190
LizardRunner has a reputation beyond reputeLizardRunner has a reputation beyond reputeLizardRunner has a reputation beyond reputeLizardRunner has a reputation beyond reputeLizardRunner has a reputation beyond reputeLizardRunner has a reputation beyond reputeLizardRunner has a reputation beyond reputeLizardRunner has a reputation beyond reputeLizardRunner has a reputation beyond reputeLizardRunner has a reputation beyond reputeLizardRunner has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
windows_vistaie

could be the CPS or the TPS. When my CPS was going out, two things would happen, it would surge a tad when first warmed up and on occassion while doing 40 at 1000 rpm it would just die, rpms would drop to zero and then suddenly it would start back up from a press of the gas pedal. Replacing the CPS took care of both those problems. Just a few days ago I thought I was starting to have problems with the TPS but checking it all out I found a loose ground wire to the body and tightening that after a good cleaning has stopped the problem.
2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , but green bits will be going under the hood. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight
Old 03-30-2011
Crawlin'
Scott's Information

windows_xp_2003firefox

where exactly is the EGR on this thing?
I forgot about that DUH it totally makes sense!
Old 04-03-2011
Level: Cherokee XJ
Mike's Information

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chats: 289
ice_cold is just really niceice_cold is just really niceice_cold is just really niceice_cold is just really niceice_cold is just really nice
windows_vistaopera

Have a CPS issue here, did what is on this site to test it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/9...s-good-905398/

It was while reading it I found out about back fires and other CPS issues.

Now I have to find and replace the sucker
Old 03-30-2013
Level: Hummer (H2)
Aaron's Information

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chats: 0
goofyjeeper is on a distinguished road
windows_vistasafari

the cps hook up is above your intake manifold back by the firewall, and the sensor is is in the top of your tranny.. not a hard thing too replace.. but what is a tps?? i'm runnin outa things too check, and my buddy says mine has advanced timed, mayb jumped a tooth or somthin...
Old 03-30-2013
Super Moderator
Steve's Information

Thanked 6,054 Times in 4,250 Posts
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Chats: 1662
4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute
macossafari

tps is throttle postion sensor.
Griffin radiator
On board air
Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
30 gal gas tank
lockers
And a bunch of other stuff