Front Brake repair - Now got a popping noise - Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
DetoursUSA.com
Advertise on xjtalk

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk > It's Technical... > OEM/Factory

Notices

OEM/Factory Adding or repairing items that came from, or would have come from the factory. (ex: replacing alternator, won't start, water pump, etc...)

Old 02-06-2011
"Just some guy"
Tony's Information

Thanked 5,353 Times in 3,320 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Chats: 24998
Mudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
windows_xp_2003safari
View Mudderoy's Twitter Profile
Default Front Brake repair - Now got a popping noise

Over a week ago I replaced my calipers, rotors and pads. I went ahead and put on the new stainless steel brake lines I've had for over a month. Everything went find and even my first ever brake bleeding went great.

After a few days of driving I noticed a light popping noise during heavy breaking. It only happened during breaking and it may have been popping the whole time but the frequency of the pop would change as I came to a stop.

Everything works fine, and the wheel wasn't loose.

I waited to post about this because I wanted to see if maybe I just hadn't put the calipers on right and they were jumping. I took off the front wheels today and checked everything. Fine no issues.

I put the wheels back on and went for a short test drive. Same popping noise. Anyone have any idea?

Old 02-06-2011
Mall Crawler
James's Information

Thanked 1,796 Times in 1,047 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Chats: 22450
bigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond repute
windows_98_nt_2000ie
Default Re: Front Brake repair - Now got a popping noise

popping noise i think would be either hub bearings, u-joints, or ball joints.
Old 02-06-2011
"Just some guy"
Tony's Information

Mudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
windows_xp_2003safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim350 View Post
popping noise i think would be either hub bearings, u-joints, or ball joints.
The popping is directly related to braking. Everything has been replaced except the ball joints. Once I got it off the ground tonight I started moving the wheels and nothing moved. I really don't think it's axle u-joints, or ball joints.
Old 02-06-2011
Done gone to the Dark Side
Matt's Information

Thanked 1,385 Times in 652 Posts
Groans: 5
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Chats: 13290
msmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
windows_98_nt_2000firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
The popping is directly related to braking. Everything has been replaced except the ball joints. Once I got it off the ground tonight I started moving the wheels and nothing moved. I really don't think it's axle u-joints, or ball joints.
Tony we need to have a look since the track bar is bent everything is no longer at home position. The pulling during breaking could be from dog tracking. Do you have anyone around that can follow you while you drive to verifiy the front end is off?
Old 02-07-2011
"Just some guy"
Tony's Information

Garage
windows_vistafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmoorenburg View Post
Tony we need to have a look since the track bar is bent everything is no longer at home position. The pulling during breaking could be from dog tracking. Do you have anyone around that can follow you while you drive to verifiy the front end is off?
New track bar (with new flexible joint!) will be shipped out today!
Old 02-08-2011
"Just some guy"
Tony's Information

Garage
windows_vistafirefox

Ok riddle me this...

Yesterday on the way home, no popping and no pull to the left during breaking.

Same result this morning on the ride in. I was hesitant to post anything for fear it would come back!

What I did Sunday was take the wheels off, look at everything, check how tight the bolts were holding the new calipers on and then I dropped the new stainless steel brake lines so I could put the brackets that came with them on. I re-bled the front calipers.

The popping and pull was still there then.
Old 02-08-2011
Moderator Emeritus
rene's Information

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chats: 8037
rguignard has a reputation beyond reputerguignard has a reputation beyond reputerguignard has a reputation beyond reputerguignard has a reputation beyond reputerguignard has a reputation beyond reputerguignard has a reputation beyond reputerguignard has a reputation beyond reputerguignard has a reputation beyond reputerguignard has a reputation beyond reputerguignard has a reputation beyond reputerguignard has a reputation beyond repute
windows_vistafirefox

call ghostbusters

http://www.ghostbusters.com/
Old 02-15-2011
"Just some guy"
Tony's Information

Garage
windows_vistafirefox

Popping noise has not returned and if there is a pull it is a very very slight one. We'll see what happens when it rains. Seems like the pull was worse just after a rain storm.
Old 02-15-2011
Level: Cherokee XJ
PolarXJ's Information

Chats: 7
PolarXJ is a jewel in the roughPolarXJ is a jewel in the roughPolarXJ is a jewel in the roughPolarXJ is a jewel in the rough
windows_xp_2003safari

To me, still seems like a possible ujoint. Try making sharp turns in a parking lot (slowly) in reverse and forward. Listen and feel. A bad joint can make it kinda hop/jerk like when its in four wheel drive..just not as bad. This could explain the pull (on/off) as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to PolarXJ For This Useful Post:
Mudderoy (02-15-2011)
Old 02-24-2011
Level: Cherokee XJ
Mike's Information

Chats: 289
ice_cold is just really niceice_cold is just really niceice_cold is just really niceice_cold is just really niceice_cold is just really nice
windows_xp_2003safari

Popping sound? Does the sound remain constant or is it a single pop when you apply the brakes? When you apply your brakes this will cause the vehicle to "roll" forward on its suspension. Did you look at the LCA's? etc? Is it a loud pop, metallic ?

If its not any of those...Wayne must have sent some midgets over to pop popcorn under you truck while your driving to mess with the Pretty Red XJ
Old 02-24-2011
"Just some guy"
Tony's Information

Garage
windows_xp_2003safari

No noise, I have to roll down the window and scream so people know I'm coming now!
Old 02-24-2011
Site Subscriber!
Od's Information

Thanked 1,017 Times in 526 Posts
Chats: 91
oderdene has a reputation beyond reputeoderdene has a reputation beyond reputeoderdene has a reputation beyond reputeoderdene has a reputation beyond reputeoderdene has a reputation beyond reputeoderdene has a reputation beyond reputeoderdene has a reputation beyond reputeoderdene has a reputation beyond reputeoderdene has a reputation beyond reputeoderdene has a reputation beyond reputeoderdene has a reputation beyond repute
windows_98_nt_2000firefox

Old 02-25-2011
Show Me The Trails
Mar's Information

Chats: 251
modestmar00xj is a jewel in the roughmodestmar00xj is a jewel in the roughmodestmar00xj is a jewel in the rough
macossafari

hey did you ever fix your problem with the noise, cause i was going to ask you; where did you buy your brake lines from?
6.5'' Rough Country lift, 35x12.5x15 BFGoodrich M/T's, 15'' Cragars Beadlocks, Rusty's TBS, A.A. SYE, Optima (red top) Battery, CB Radio w/5'' Fire Stick Antenna, Flowmaster Super 44 Dual Custom Exaust, 4 Cheep 2'' Bumper Lights, Custom Front bumper /w Stinger, Yakama Bike Rack, Garmin GPS, Kenwood 6.5'' Indash Radio, 4 6.5'' Kenwood Speakers, 12' Alpine Type R Sub In Custom Jeep Enclosure, Alpine mono Amp, Ect.
Old 02-25-2011
"Just some guy"
Tony's Information

Garage
windows_xp_2003safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestmar00xj View Post
hey did you ever fix your problem with the noise, cause i was going to ask you; where did you buy your brake lines from?
Morris 4x4...