My long arm build - Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
http://www.ironman4x4fab.com
Advertise on xjtalk

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk > It's Technical... > Modified

Notices

Modified Have a question, or an answer for those MODIFICATIONS we all love doing to our XJ? Put it here. Non OEM/factory.

Old 03-16-2010
wait for it, wait for it.
Steve's Information

Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Chats: 109
alwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant future
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default My long arm build

so i started to build a long arm for my jeep. since i just put some Rubicon express 7.5" coils on the front to make me level and i still had the short arms with out a drop bracket's. So this is what i have done so far. i ordered some creeper joints from trail-gear with some bungs cost with shipping was 101.52. Then i ordered some bushings from poly performance with shipping they were 37.95. Then i got 65 inches of 2" 1.25 Dom tubing for the arms with tax it was 58.37 Then i had to make or buy a mount for the arms i came across this from Clayton off road.http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id=174 i looked at it and thought well hell i can make that for a lot cheaper so off to the garage i go to see what metal i have on hand i had all the metal except the plate's to bolt both pieces together. so i went today to my local metal store and got some scrap 3/16 flat plate for the mounts and for the radius mounts on the lower long arm payed 4.38 for that. So i will be in to this build when it is all said and done a little over two hundred i hope. So far i have the cross-member almost done just need to drill some more holes and unbolt the stock one and bolt the new one in. More to come sorry no pics today it was too dark to take pics they will be coming though.
01, Tera Flex 6" long arm kit, jks quick disco's,jks bar pin eliminators, Fox 2.0 shocks I won for 5 bucks, Tom woods Sye with rear drive shaft, Tera flex rear disc brakes, custom front bumper, customer rear bumper, rage roof rack. H4 head lights, k&n intake and cone, black steelies with 285x75x16 retreads, metal gas skid. Finally I have a nice jeep no more pos.
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 03-16-2010
Super Moderator
Steve's Information

Thanked 5,323 Times in 3,783 Posts
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Chats: 1592
4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute
macossafari
Default Re: my long arm build

Now you are talking. That is the way to go about it. Good luck. If you need any;thing else, just ask
Old 03-17-2010
Level: Jeep Commander
Ed's Information

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chats: 0
Captain Ruggy will become famous soon enoughCaptain Ruggy will become famous soon enough
windows_xp_2003ie

Awesome, I have been waiting to see a good long arm build. Please post lots of pics.

Could you also post up a materials list. I would like to see exactly what you bought to build them.

Can't wait to see how they turn out.
Old 03-17-2010
Steve's Information

alwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant future
windows_xp_2003ie

yep i will post all the pics i can. ups says my parts came today cannot wait to get it done.
01, Tera Flex 6" long arm kit, jks quick disco's,jks bar pin eliminators, Fox 2.0 shocks I won for 5 bucks, Tom woods Sye with rear drive shaft, Tera flex rear disc brakes, custom front bumper, customer rear bumper, rage roof rack. H4 head lights, k&n intake and cone, black steelies with 285x75x16 retreads, metal gas skid. Finally I have a nice jeep no more pos.
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 03-17-2010
Steve's Information

windows_xp_2003firefox

finely ups came to visit me today. i got all my joints and bungs and bushings today. now i need to go and pick up my link material this week end. when i got home today i made some progress on my cross member for the long arm's to mount to. here is some pics of the cross member and the joints and bushings.

now to the fabrication part.

here you can see how i beveled the edge of the piece before welding it to the flat plate to get a better weld penetration.

here is what you will see when you look under the jeep. i still have to make some mounts for the unibody and the long arms but pretty much done.

this is how it what will mount to the tranny and the tcase

it is coming along nicely i think i should have everything done this week end with a lot more pics for you all.
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 03-17-2010
Level: Jeep Commander
Ed's Information

Chats: 0
Captain Ruggy will become famous soon enoughCaptain Ruggy will become famous soon enough
windows_98_nt_2000ie

Looks good. What size is that c channel you're using for your crossmember?
Old 03-17-2010
Steve's Information

windows_xp_2003firefox

it is 4 inch 3 1/16 and it is not channel i cut the middle out of the 4 inch stuff i used for the center section.
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 03-17-2010
Super Moderator
Steve's Information

4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute
macossafari

Good deal. You are building your cross member right. Make sure you can remove it without touching your suspension.
Old 03-17-2010
Steve's Information

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
Good deal. You are building your cross member right. Make sure you can remove it without touching your suspension.
yep i like that idea i was just going to mount the long arms to the bottom of the frame rail then i seen the cross member from Clayton and thought that would not be hard at all to make. i really hope it works out good for what i need.
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 03-17-2010
Super Moderator
Steve's Information

macossafari

That is how I built mine. It allows you to service things or repair a tranny or exhaust without disassembling any more of the Jeep
Old 03-17-2010
Super Moderator
Mike's Information

Thanked 1,344 Times in 997 Posts
Groans: 14
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Chats: 3
BlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond repute
windows_vistaie

Good work so far. I am very interested in this since I plan on long arms for the MJ.

Some days it is just not worth it to gnaw through the leather restraints.

R.I.P. Brian 96_XJ Perrine 1990-2011
Old 03-18-2010
Steve's Information

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
That is how I built mine. It allows you to service things or repair a tranny or exhaust without disassembling any more of the Jeep
hey you mind snaping a pic of it for me just to compare ideas and see if i would like to change anything to make it better. thanks
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 03-18-2010
Super Moderator
Steve's Information

macossafari

Your cross member is not quite as wide as mine. Mine bolts on to the suspension mount itself and also allows me to remove the suspension by accessing the bushing bolt. Maybe later today

Here is a pic of the cross member as it was bolted up to the tranny while clocking the tcase. Yu can see the end, how it is cut out to access the bushing bolt. It exerts no rotational leverage on the mount this way.

Old 03-18-2010
Moderator Emeritus
rene's Information

Chats: 8037
rguignard has a reputation beyond reputerguignard has a reputation beyond reputerguignard has a reputation beyond reputerguignard has a reputation beyond reputerguignard has a reputation beyond reputerguignard has a reputation beyond reputerguignard has a reputation beyond reputerguignard has a reputation beyond reputerguignard has a reputation beyond reputerguignard has a reputation beyond reputerguignard has a reputation beyond repute
windows_vistafirefox

are you running a atlas tc ?
Old 03-18-2010
Steve's Information

windows_xp_2003ie

do you have any pics of it mounted in the jeep?
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_