Cleaning Your Neutral Safety Switch - Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
DetoursUSA.com
Advertise on xjtalk

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk > It's Technical... > Technical "HOW TO" Articles

Notices

Technical "HOW TO" Articles How to stuff. If you are doing it chances are good someone else would like to know how! Get your camera and snap some pictures during that repair or upgrade!

Old 10-09-2009
Moderator Emeritus
Melissa's Information

Groans: 1
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Chats: 1
Melissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant future
windows_xp_2003ie
Default Cleaning Your Neutral Safety Switch

This is my first write up, plus my first time cleaning a NSS, but here goes anyways.

Tools needed are a 12mm socket, flat head screw driver, electrical cleaner, dielectric grease, and very fine sand paper ( I used 200 grit )

Locate your NSS, on my 93 it was on the left side of my tranny at the front.
This is the mess that greeted me when i located it

First thing I did was to unplug the sensor from in the engine compartment and clip the two zip ties holding the NSS wires to other wires, I found the plug on the left, at the back of my valve cover, by the dip stick tube.

Next I crawled under and attacked the NSS

I used the 12mm socket to remove the top bolt, then I bent back the tabs on the lock washer behind the lower big nut. I found that the big nut was only finger tight, but this is how it should be (I was told). after I removed the big nut and lock washer, I found there to be a rubber gasket under the lock washer, don't lose this gasket, it's hard to see when everything is dirty, but it's there. After I had a this part done, I replaced the large nut a couple turns back on and used my flat head screw driver as leverage on the big nut to help pull the NSS off straight, do not twist off the NSS as it can damage it.

Once off, I had one very dirty NSS to deal with

In this picture, there is the NSS, the top bolt, big nut, lock washer, and rubber gasket.

Now the fun part

Remove the six screws holding the part together, but be careful when you seperate the part, as the arm inside does have two spring loaded brass contacts that might want to take a leap for freedom, and they would be almost impossible to find again. After open here are some pics of the inside goodies.

After tearing apart the inside I soaked all the pieces in electrical cleaner and then let them dry completely. I then used the 220 sand paper and sanded all the contacts, including the two brass ones from the arm.

Before

After

Oh...so pretty now

So now that everything is all clean and pretty, I used the dielectric grease and gave everything a good smear with it.

Now, put all the pieces back in, put the two halves back on, and replace the six screws.

All thats left is to reinstall the NSS back on your rig the way you took it off and pug her back in.

Make sure your reverse lights are working, and that your jeep will only start in park or neutral, and wa la..................your good to go

Last edited by Melissa; 10-09-2009 at 11:11 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Melissa For This Useful Post:
96xj (10-09-2009), COSXJFAN (10-09-2009), DETOURS (10-10-2009), Mudderoy (10-09-2009)
Old 10-09-2009
Level: Cherokee XJ
nah's Information

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chats: 0
COSXJFAN is a splendid one to beholdCOSXJFAN is a splendid one to beholdCOSXJFAN is a splendid one to beholdCOSXJFAN is a splendid one to beholdCOSXJFAN is a splendid one to beholdCOSXJFAN is a splendid one to beholdCOSXJFAN is a splendid one to beholdCOSXJFAN is a splendid one to behold
windows_xp_2003firefox

Nice job Mel!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to COSXJFAN For This Useful Post:
Melissa (10-09-2009)
Old 10-09-2009
Super Moderator
Mike's Information

Thanked 1,345 Times in 998 Posts
Groans: 14
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Chats: 3
BlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond repute
windows_xp_2003ie

Excellent write-up!!!

Some days it is just not worth it to gnaw through the leather restraints.

R.I.P. Brian 96_XJ Perrine 1990-2011
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueXJ For This Useful Post:
Melissa (10-09-2009)
Old 10-10-2009
DETOURS's Information

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Chats: 1269
DETOURS has a reputation beyond reputeDETOURS has a reputation beyond reputeDETOURS has a reputation beyond reputeDETOURS has a reputation beyond reputeDETOURS has a reputation beyond reputeDETOURS has a reputation beyond reputeDETOURS has a reputation beyond reputeDETOURS has a reputation beyond reputeDETOURS has a reputation beyond reputeDETOURS has a reputation beyond reputeDETOURS has a reputation beyond repute
windows_xp_2003ie

You are a dirty girl after all......

CHECK US OUT ON FACEBOOK:
Detours Off Road Hardware
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DETOURS For This Useful Post:
Melissa (10-10-2009)
Old 10-11-2009
Super Moderator
Mike's Information

BlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond reputeBlueXJ has a reputation beyond repute
windows_xp_2003ie
Icon11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky "D" View Post
You are a dirty girl after all......

The very best kind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueXJ For This Useful Post:
96xj (10-17-2009), Melissa (10-11-2009)
Old 10-12-2009
Level: Cherokee XJ
nah's Information

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
COSXJFAN is a splendid one to beholdCOSXJFAN is a splendid one to beholdCOSXJFAN is a splendid one to beholdCOSXJFAN is a splendid one to beholdCOSXJFAN is a splendid one to beholdCOSXJFAN is a splendid one to beholdCOSXJFAN is a splendid one to beholdCOSXJFAN is a splendid one to behold
windows_xp_2003firefox

WOW, Spanky got thanked for calling Mel a dirty girl!! I like Mel more and more every time I log on!! LOL!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to COSXJFAN For This Useful Post:
Melissa (10-12-2009)
Old 10-12-2009
"Just some guy"
Tony's Information

Thanked 5,450 Times in 3,364 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Chats: 25294
Mudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
windows_vistafirefox
View Mudderoy's Twitter Profile

Yeah she's a hoot.
Old 10-12-2009
Moderator Emeritus
Melissa's Information

Melissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant future
windows_xp_2003ie

The Following User Says Thank You to Melissa For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2009
wait for it, wait for it.
Steve's Information

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Chats: 113
alwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant futurealwaysxj has a brilliant future
windows_xp_2003ie

nice job. i needed to do this on my last heep but never got the chance to do it (sold it)
i was told that you will have a hard time getting them off that you will probably brake them getting them off.

did it come off pretty eaisy then?
01, Tera Flex 6" long arm kit, jks quick disco's,jks bar pin eliminators, Fox 2.0 shocks I won for 5 bucks, Tom woods Sye with rear drive shaft, Tera flex rear disc brakes, custom front bumper, customer rear bumper, rage roof rack. H4 head lights, k&n intake and cone, black steelies with 285x75x16 retreads, metal gas skid. Finally I have a nice jeep no more pos.
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 10-12-2009
Moderator Emeritus
Melissa's Information

windows_xp_2003ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysxj View Post
nice job. i needed to do this on my last heep but never got the chance to do it (sold it)
i was told that you will have a hard time getting them off that you will probably brake them getting them off.

did it come off pretty eaisy then?
Surprisingly, it was pretty easy to get off. I was was just real careful in making sure I pulled it off straight and not twist it at all. The worst part of the whole thing was getting to the 2 zip ties above it and getting them cut, after that it went very smooth. It was well worth the time and effort.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Melissa For This Useful Post:
96xj (10-17-2009)
Old 10-17-2009
NickM
's Information

Chats:
windows_vistaie

Thanks, Melissa. I went ahead and did this myself yesterday, and now I have reverse lights!
Yay!

Nick
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Melissa (10-17-2009)
Old 10-17-2009
Super Moderator
Mike's Information

windows_xp_2003ie

I have pulled one off of one of my spare transmissions and taking it apart and cleaning it for a ready to go spare is Mondays project Mel. Thanks for your write-up. It is as good as I have ever seen on the NSS subject.

Some days it is just not worth it to gnaw through the leather restraints.

R.I.P. Brian 96_XJ Perrine 1990-2011
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueXJ For This Useful Post:
Melissa (10-17-2009)
Old 10-17-2009
Moderator Emeritus
Melissa's Information

windows_xp_2003ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
Thanks, Melissa. I went ahead and did this myself yesterday, and now I have reverse lights!
Yay!

Nick
That was the best part about it for me, having reverse lights again

I didn't even care that I had to clean it in the first place because my Jeep would not start, it was the reverse lights that made me the happiest
The Following User Says Thank You to Melissa For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2009
Voldemort
's Information

Chats:
windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
That was the best part about it for me, having reverse lights again

I didn't even care that I had to clean it in the first place because my Jeep would not start, it was the reverse lights that made me the happiest
SO your xj did not start at all and after the cleaning it started fine?
Old 10-18-2009
Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
muddeprived's Information

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
muddeprived is a splendid one to beholdmuddeprived is a splendid one to beholdmuddeprived is a splendid one to beholdmuddeprived is a splendid one to beholdmuddeprived is a splendid one to beholdmuddeprived is a splendid one to beholdmuddeprived is a splendid one to behold
windows_xp_2003firefox

Excellent write-up. I saved this for the future.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to muddeprived For This Useful Post:
Melissa (10-18-2009)