Transmission Dipstick Tube Leaking? - Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
DetoursUSA.com
Advertise on xjtalk

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk > It's Technical... > OEM/Factory

Notices

OEM/Factory Adding or repairing items that came from, or would have come from the factory. (ex: replacing alternator, won't start, water pump, etc...)

Old 09-03-2013
Jeeper X
Jake's Information

Thanked 3,415 Times in 2,122 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chats: 1246
XJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
macossafari
Default Transmission Dipstick Tube Leaking?

Alright, so when i was changing out my transmission mount a few weeks back i noticed some fluid on the trans dipstick tube. Now i have quite a few different leaks going but i think it may be leaking from the connection where the tube goes into the transmission pan. For the life of me i can't find any information about that connection anywhere. Is it an o-ring to seal it, welded together, or just holding together with hopes and dreams? I'm gonna be dropping the pan and changing out the trans fluid soon so i might as well replace the seal if i can.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1378242374318.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  44.4 KB

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

My build - http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11360

<><
Old 09-03-2013
Level: Cherokee XJ
Jeff's Information

Chats: 0
F1Addict is a jewel in the roughF1Addict is a jewel in the roughF1Addict is a jewel in the rough
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Transmission Dipstick Tube Leaking?

I'm pretty sure it's a brazed connection.
The Following User Says Thank You to F1Addict For This Useful Post:
XJ Wheeler (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013
Mall Crawler
James's Information

Thanked 1,794 Times in 1,046 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Chats: 22450
bigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond repute
windows_98_nt_2000safari

Where it comes out of the pan its welded. Where it comes apart to drop the pan its just pressed in there without a o-ring....I think.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigjim350 For This Useful Post:
XJ Wheeler (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013
Jeeper X
Jake's Information

XJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond reputeXJ Wheeler has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
macossafari

Okay, thanks guys. Now i really hope it isn't leaking there. Probably coming from one of the other leaks.

<><
Old 09-04-2013
Matt's Information

Chats: 640
ArmyGuy45 is a glorious beacon of lightArmyGuy45 is a glorious beacon of lightArmyGuy45 is a glorious beacon of lightArmyGuy45 is a glorious beacon of lightArmyGuy45 is a glorious beacon of lightArmyGuy45 is a glorious beacon of light
windows_98_nt_2000ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Wheeler View Post
Okay, thanks guys. Now i really hope it isn't leaking there. Probably coming from one of the other leaks.

I just recently changed my trans filter and my dipstick looked like that. I replaced the o-ring where they separate and now I don't leak. You will need to grease it when you put it back together.

Word of caution, I dropped my pan to replace the filter and when I bolted it back up I may have partially stripped one of the bolts near the rear of the transmission next to the mount bar since the angle was horrible. Go REALLY slow when putting those bolts back in. The bolts seem like they are made out of a harder marital than the transmission case.

2001 XJ Limited 4dr I6 Auto.

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!"

Capt. John Parker, Lexington militia
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArmyGuy45 For This Useful Post:
F1Addict (09-04-2013), XJ Wheeler (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013
Jeeper X
Jake's Information

Garage
macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyGuy45 View Post
I just recently changed my trans filter and my dipstick looked like that. I replaced the o-ring where they separate and now I don't leak. You will need to grease it when you put it back together.

Word of caution, I dropped my pan to replace the filter and when I bolted it back up I may have partially stripped one of the bolts near the rear of the transmission next to the mount bar since the angle was horrible. Go REALLY slow when putting those bolts back in. The bolts seem like they are made out of a harder marital than the transmission case.
Thanks for the advice! I usually try to be careful when tightening into aluminum anyways but i'll take the extra, advised caution. First time dropping a trans pan for me. Studied up and ready to go.

<><
Old 09-04-2013
Jeff's Information

F1Addict is a jewel in the roughF1Addict is a jewel in the roughF1Addict is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

That's good advice. The bolts at the rear are partially obscured by the trans cross-member, a swivel head comes in handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Wheeler View Post
Thanks for the advice! I usually try to be careful when tightening into aluminum anyways but i'll take the extra, advised caution. First time dropping a trans pan for me. Studied up and ready to go.

I changed my filter and trans fluid a couple months ago (first time for me, too). The most difficult part was threading the dipstick through all of that mess to get the pan out and back in. Just be patient and don't force anything, it does come out with the proper contortions. It took a little less than 8 pints (one gallon) to refill when I was done. My initial fill was 6 pints (I think), then I drove it about three miles, parked, ran the shifter through every gear with the engine running, put it in park (on level ground) and, with the engine still running, filled until both circular windows in the dipstick consistently had a film of trans fluid. It took almost two pints to get there. Good luck and have fun.
XJ Wheeler (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013
Jeeper X
Jake's Information

Garage
macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Addict View Post
That's good advice. The bolts at the rear are partially obscured by the trans cross-member, a swivel head comes in handy.

I changed my filter and trans fluid a couple months ago (first time for me, too). The most difficult part was threading the dipstick through all of that mess to get the pan out and back in. Just be patient and don't force anything, it does come out with the proper contortions. It took a little less than 8 pints (one gallon) to refill when I was done. My initial fill was 6 pints (I think), then I drove it about three miles, parked, ran the shifter through every gear with the engine running, put it in park (on level ground) and, with the engine still running, filled until both circular windows in the dipstick consistently had a film of trans fluid. It took almost two pints to get there. Good luck and have fun.
I was questioning how much it would need to refill anyway. So, thanks!

<><
Old 09-05-2013
Super Moderator
Jim's Information

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,923 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Chats: 3130
Brasscatz has a reputation beyond reputeBrasscatz has a reputation beyond reputeBrasscatz has a reputation beyond reputeBrasscatz has a reputation beyond reputeBrasscatz has a reputation beyond reputeBrasscatz has a reputation beyond reputeBrasscatz has a reputation beyond reputeBrasscatz has a reputation beyond reputeBrasscatz has a reputation beyond reputeBrasscatz has a reputation beyond reputeBrasscatz has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
windows_98_nt_2000safari

If I remember correctly, the level should be checked with it running at operating temp and the tranny in neutral instead of park

The Following User Says Thank You to Brasscatz For This Useful Post:
XJ Wheeler (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013
Matt's Information

ArmyGuy45 is a glorious beacon of lightArmyGuy45 is a glorious beacon of lightArmyGuy45 is a glorious beacon of lightArmyGuy45 is a glorious beacon of lightArmyGuy45 is a glorious beacon of lightArmyGuy45 is a glorious beacon of light
windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasscatz View Post
If I remember correctly, the level should be checked with it running at operating temp and the tranny in neutral instead of park
Neutral and I only added 5 qts so add a few and check it before adding more.

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!"

Last edited by ArmyGuy45; 09-05-2013 at 10:02 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmyGuy45 For This Useful Post:
XJ Wheeler (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013
Site Subscriber!
Od's Information

Thanked 1,001 Times in 523 Posts
Chats: 91
oderdene has a reputation beyond reputeoderdene has a reputation beyond reputeoderdene has a reputation beyond reputeoderdene has a reputation beyond reputeoderdene has a reputation beyond reputeoderdene has a reputation beyond reputeoderdene has a reputation beyond reputeoderdene has a reputation beyond reputeoderdene has a reputation beyond reputeoderdene has a reputation beyond reputeoderdene has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasscatz View Post
on my tranny dipstick, "hot level check idling in park". should I check when idling on N?
XJ Wheeler (09-06-2013)
Old 09-05-2013
Matt's Information

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by oderdene View Post
on my tranny dipstick, "hot level check idling in park". should I check when idling on N?
Mine says N, 2001 XJ, so I dont know if they changed it. Hayes manual says to check in N. Page 1-12

Last edited by ArmyGuy45; 09-05-2013 at 12:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmyGuy45 For This Useful Post:
XJ Wheeler (09-06-2013)
Old 09-05-2013
Jeff's Information

At some point they switched from Park to Neutral in the FSM. Mine says to check it in Park, as does my dipstick but I've got an old copy of the FSM and an even older copy of the XJ. I would guess that when the FSM switched to "Neutral" the factory had a surplus of "Park" dipsticks they wanted to get rid of.

My understanding is that there is no difference in the fluid level between N and P. In both positions the valve body and servos are doing the exact same thing, the only difference is the parking pawl which wouldn't affect the fluid level reading.
XJ Wheeler (09-06-2013)
Old 09-05-2013
Jeff's Information

Quote:
Neutral and I only added 5 qts so add a few and check it before adding more.
That's a full quart more than what I needed to refill (8 pints). The amount you will need depends on many factors. Check the dipstick frequently to make sure you don't over-fill which is worse than under-filling.
Old 09-05-2013
Matt's Information

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Addict View Post
That's a full quart more than what I needed to refill (8 pints). The amount you will need depends on many factors. Check the dipstick frequently to make sure you don't over-fill which is worse than under-filling.
Opps, I thought I read yours as 8 qts. Sorry.