Thread: ECU geting very hot.

Icon9 ECU geting very hot.

My ECU is getting very hot I can drive for a while but eventually get so hot that it shut the engie off I let it sit for a few minutes to cool it down it will start and run fine until it is hot again what could cause this? I am at my wits end tomorrow I am getting a new ECU from my friend and if it does the same thing I guess I'll start looking at electrical but I haven't touched any electrical.

it gets so hot you can't touch it and I have actually seen it smoke

edit: also thought it was worth mentioning that if I restart it right away it will start it will idle extremely low and it will only run on 3 cylinders I have tried unplugging and replugging every connector

I'm pretty sure theres water damage to my ECM

will it hurt to spray the ECM connectors with wire dry I use it on my spark plugs when they get wet but don't want to ruin it anymore
    Last edited by Andrew XJ; 06-03-2014 at 10:37 PM.
    Its my pride and joy, it's known as, the addiction 1999 4.0 4x4. It took years to find but only seconds to love, But most people never know the joy because, it's a jeep thing

Default Re: ECU geting very hot.

I just looked up on jeeps unlimited and someone had nearly the exact same problem so I guess tomorrow I'll find out if my computer is bad when I use my friends
    Its my pride and joy, it's known as, the addiction 1999 4.0 4x4. It took years to find but only seconds to love, But most people never know the joy because, it's a jeep thing