Thread: fill up empty engine block. how does the vacum system work

Default fill up empty engine block. how does the vacum system work

drained the engine block on a 89 jeep 4.0 to refill is should i use the thermostat housing? put coolant in the thermostat hole until it's full? is there another way to fill the block? also i took apart the vacuum system near the air box apart and it seems i'm missing a few lines. if some people with similar years could post pics of there system so i could make sure i have the hoses that would be great take care all

Do you still have the plastic bottle mounted on the passenger side firewall? If you do then put the rear up on ramps and then pull the temp sender from the rear of the head on the drivers side. Fill the bottle until you have nothing but coolant coming from the sender hole. Put the sender back in and get the Jeep back on level ground and fill the plastic tank to the fill line and you are done.
    I used teflon pipe tape on the threads of the sender but you can use other stuff to seal the threads.

As for the vacuum lines mine has been so altered that you wouldn't gain much from a pic of mine. The OEM was color coded but mine have all been replaced by black so they would be hard to see in a pic anyway.

i got nothing in the block now. i did take the coolant sending sensor out and drained it. i was thinking that the only way to fill the block again would be through the thermostat hole. i have a new thermostat to put in but i know that if i fill the radiator up through the bottle that it won't get coolant to the engine until the thermostat opens. i was thinking that i could put coolant in the lower radiator hose but i have the therm out figured that would be easier but not sure. yea i have my vacuum lines all mixed up. i figured out most of it but i think some how i lost a few lines.

i got the block filled. I just filled it through the thermostat hole. then blew air in the upper radiator hose to see where the water was in the engine. now my only problem now is the vacuum lines. the stupid repair manual is very veg on the vacuum lines. i Need a Visual to see where two lines go. also i have a hose that is pluged on one side with some type of plastic its near the windshield wiper washer fluid container and it runs on the side of the fender near the motor mount where is it lying there. i don't get if it was connected at one time because i know i never took it off of anything. it is hooked nothing but then i don't understand why it would be hooked to something and be plugged.