Project Cheap XJ - Page 39 - Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
jeeptalkshow.com

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk > Member Rigs > My Build

Notices

My Build Your build, someone else, don't care. You built it or 3rd party add on fine too!

Old 08-25-2017
Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
Donovan's Information

Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Chats: 174
TeXJ is a splendid one to beholdTeXJ is a splendid one to beholdTeXJ is a splendid one to beholdTeXJ is a splendid one to beholdTeXJ is a splendid one to beholdTeXJ is a splendid one to beholdTeXJ is a splendid one to beholdTeXJ is a splendid one to behold
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Project Cheap XJ

Had a Fram filter collapse on me. Never will use one. It only takes one to ruin your motor.

1997 AW4 sport, 4.0L, 33's
Old 08-25-2017
Ryan's Information

Thanked 1,390 Times in 581 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chats: 70
Pinkyman has a reputation beyond reputePinkyman has a reputation beyond reputePinkyman has a reputation beyond reputePinkyman has a reputation beyond reputePinkyman has a reputation beyond reputePinkyman has a reputation beyond reputePinkyman has a reputation beyond reputePinkyman has a reputation beyond reputePinkyman has a reputation beyond reputePinkyman has a reputation beyond reputePinkyman has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeXJ View Post
Had a Fram filter collapse on me. Never will use one. It only takes one to ruin your motor.
Yeah ive heard bad things about the Fram, i figured STP had to be at least a small step up.
Old 08-25-2017
Donovan's Information

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Chats: 174
TeXJ is a splendid one to beholdTeXJ is a splendid one to beholdTeXJ is a splendid one to beholdTeXJ is a splendid one to beholdTeXJ is a splendid one to beholdTeXJ is a splendid one to beholdTeXJ is a splendid one to beholdTeXJ is a splendid one to behold
windows_98_nt_2000firefox

I know some filter companies are made by others, not sure on the STP either.

1997 AW4 sport, 4.0L, 33's
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Ryan's Information

Pinkyman has a reputation beyond reputePinkyman has a reputation beyond reputePinkyman has a reputation beyond reputePinkyman has a reputation beyond reputePinkyman has a reputation beyond reputePinkyman has a reputation beyond reputePinkyman has a reputation beyond reputePinkyman has a reputation beyond reputePinkyman has a reputation beyond reputePinkyman has a reputation beyond reputePinkyman has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
windows_98_nt_2000safari

Not much new here. Just been busy working on the house and all. I did bring the Xj home the other day, and hopefully soon ill have enough stuff out of the garage so that i can park it in there.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Ryan's Information

Garage
windows_98_nt_2000safari

I found out that I must have a rather large draw somewhere. When it sits for over a week or two, my battery will be too dead to do anything at all.

This weekend if i have time, im going to get the battery on the charger and pull the fuses for all of my aftermarket stuff (light bar, rock lights, amp, winch etc....) and see if that remedies the issue until i have more time to dig into it. Otherwise i may put a battery disconnect on it somewhere.
XJ Wheeler (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago
Super Moderator
James's Information

Thanked 2,417 Times in 1,653 Posts
Chats: 38880
bluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
macossafari

XJ looks good @ her new home.. But said, hurry up and clean out my home before the snow comes in!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkyman View Post
I found out that I must have a rather large draw somewhere. When it sits for over a week or two, my battery will be too dead to do anything at all.

This weekend if i have time, im going to get the battery on the charger and pull the fuses for all of my aftermarket stuff (light bar, rock lights, amp, winch etc....) and see if that remedies the issue until i have more time to dig into it. Otherwise i may put a battery disconnect on it somewhere.
I'd say try disconnecting the winch and see if that alone will take care of the drain.. Wouldn't think the other items should be allowing a draw unless the switches for them are on, or in the case of the amp the radio is on.. unless for some reason the amp is getting a remote on signal without the radio on...
Old 1 Week Ago
Ryan's Information

Garage
windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedragon436 View Post
XJ looks good @ her new home.. But said, hurry up and clean out my home before the snow comes in!! LOL

I'd say try disconnecting the winch and see if that alone will take care of the drain.. Wouldn't think the other items should be allowing a draw unless the switches for them are on, or in the case of the amp the radio is on.. unless for some reason the amp is getting a remote on signal without the radio on...
Oh shes in the garage now, so no worries there. I disconnected my winch, and the battery still died after about a week. So i will probably start disconnecting all my aftermarket stuff until i can narrow it down.

Old 1 Week Ago
Super Moderator
James's Information

bluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkyman View Post
Oh shes in the garage now, so no worries there. I disconnected my winch, and the battery still died after about a week. So i will probably start disconnecting all my aftermarket stuff until i can narrow it down.

That sucks, looks like it'll be disconnecting one accessory at a time, until you find the one that fixes the drain... Been trying to keep an eye on mine, as I add new accessories, to see if I notice any drain...
Old 3 Days Ago
Ryan's Information

Garage
windows_98_nt_2000safari

I think I may have found part of my battery issue. I went to charge the battery the other day, and the positive terminal was cracked and not even tight! I have new ones coming today, so we will see what happens, then I may have to start looking for a draw.

I also scored a free neoprene winch cover from one of the local guys, and it seems to fit pretty well. That should help with the salt from the MN winters. I also finally got my car trailer home and found a spot for it behind the shop.

Last edited by Pinkyman; 2 Days Ago at 09:50 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pinkyman For This Useful Post:
4.3LXJ (2 Days Ago), abebehrmann (3 Days Ago), XJ Wheeler (23 Hours Ago)
Old 2 Days Ago
Super Moderator
James's Information

Garage
macossafari

Yeah, my positive cable looked way worse then that.. Decided to replace/upgrade them with some much better and thicker cables & marine terminals.
Old 2 Days Ago
Ryan's Information

Garage
windows_98_nt_2000safari

Well last night I changed out the cable ends. The old ones were pretty ratty. I also checked for a draw. Weird thing was, it was at 43mA, and after i pulled the fuse #16 under the hood for the (junction block, TCM, and under hood light) it went down to 0mA, and my test light went out. I put the fuse back in, and it went up to 19-20mA, which should be acceptable.

It was sitting at 12.43 volts when I went to bed last night, and i woke up to it at 12.42 8 hours later this morning. Hopefully that is an acceptable draw, and my loose and cracked cable ends were just making it act up..... Ill be checking it again when I get home tonight, and I may drive it to the gas station to fuel it up, and then i can check it again after it sits a few more days to see where its at.

Last edited by Pinkyman; 2 Days Ago at 08:38 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pinkyman For This Useful Post:
4.3LXJ (1 Day Ago), abebehrmann (12 Minutes Ago)
Old 1 Day Ago
Ryan's Information

Garage
windows_98_nt_2000safari

I did the old Seafoam treatment on the Xj last night, and wow what a difference! It smoked to the high heavens, but it runs so much smoother now, and its MUCH quieter!

Both videos were taken when it was warmed up to operating temperature.

Heres Before:

https://youtu.be/hUXXptlwLTU

And After:

https://youtu.be/J0S-tUGgkfo
Old 1 Day Ago
Super Moderator
Steve's Information

Thanked 8,655 Times in 5,973 Posts
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Chats: 1816
4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
macossafari

That is a real difference
Griffin radiator
On board air
Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
30 gal gas tank
lockers
And a bunch of other stuff