Thread: Crazy Dome Lights vs. Door Position Issue

Default Crazy Dome Lights vs. Door Position Issue

Hey there, so here's the picture:

1992 XJ Laredo 4 door, 4.0l, AW4, No real upgrades except a mild lift

Now that you know that stuff (which has nothing to do with my issue) here is my issue. I was re-wrapping the headliner and upper trim in my XJ yesterday, and I noticed something as I was cleaning up. With the door open, all four dome lights turned on and off as normal, except the passenger rear, which stays on. With the door closed, however, none of the lights turn on. Could this be a fuse issue, as in there is a seperate circuit going to the overheads with the door open vs. shut?

Thanks!

Default Re: Crazy Dome Lights vs. Door Position Issue

Same circuit. They are supposed to be hooked together. I would have to check the current going to it to be sure what is happening.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

There are "door pins" at each door. These are basically just a plunger switch with two wires. It's a normally open circuit (with the door closed) ...as soon as the door opens, it closes the circuit, (completing the circuit) basically it connects the one wire to the other, sending a ground trigger thru the circuit to turn on the lights. Sometimes these wires will get corroded, or the metal contact surface of the plunger switch will oxidize and you'll get intermittent issues. These plunger switches are serviceable, and can be "reconditioned" with ease. They are usually just threaded into the door jamb and can be backed out and cleaned.
    Now...there is the possibility that this "switch" is inside the door lock/latch mechanism, which makes this procedure much more difficult. But I know at least on the late model XJ's (97-01) they are just plunger switches that are screwed into the door jamb. If broken, Junk Yard replacements are super inexpensive, or universal replacements can be purchased at any car audio store.
    5" lift, 33's. Armored, Lighted, Chipped, & Locked up Front. Soon to come: winch, gears, axle shafts, and more...
    Built Not Bought - Senior Member
    TheVoiceofJosh.com/

It is so crazy. It's kind fo like in the house, when a light has two switches, and one is halfway turned on and off, the other doesnt work... Except all of my switches are completely pushed in by the doors...
    "My jeep doesn't leak oil or coolant, that's just sweat from all the horsepower."

I'm wondering if one of those switches isnt hooked up backwards.... but its weird that it was working fine until you messed with the headliner.
    It sounds like a switch is hooked up backwards... did you unplug anything? Then plug it back in, maybe backward or something? Maybe switched plugs or something? I'd re-trace your steps.
    5" lift, 33's. Armored, Lighted, Chipped, & Locked up Front. Soon to come: winch, gears, axle shafts, and more...
    Built Not Bought - Senior Member
    TheVoiceofJosh.com/

Thats the weird part. I actually didnt even pull the headliner. Ill I did that day was trim, and I wiggled the overhead console around a bit to check something. I am going to pull the console down today and look to see if theres a bad connection in there or something. Thanks for the help guys!
    "My jeep doesn't leak oil or coolant, that's just sweat from all the horsepower."

You might check the wires on the passenger side A pillar. The current goes from battery to the the light and the door switch IIRC only grounds it. So I am thinking you may have a pinched or partially broken ground wire touching metal.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff