Thread: How To Install Detours Tailbone!

Default How To Install Detours Tailbone!

This "How To" Article is for those of you who Bought the Detours Tailbone Rear Tire Carrier. Mine didn't come with instructions,.. so I just winged it when I did my install. If there's was anything I came across that I was confused about I just checked Detours Web site for reference. He has the instructions listed there.

Tools you will need are just your basic hand tools and some sort of cut off wheel, Saw Zall, or what ever it is you normally use to cut metal. YOU WILL HAVE TO CUT YOUR FACTORY REAR BUMPER SKIN! Now Onto the install.

Well I picked up my Detours Tailbone on Thursday evening. This is what it looked like after unpacking it, and making sure everything was there.

I started painting the kit Friday evening when I got home from work.

Then finished painting Saturday morning.

Figured while I was waiting for it to dry I could start pulling off my factory bumper and brackets. By that time everything was dry enough to handle so I started the install.

And this is the back brace that the front main structure bolts to. It sandwiches the rear cross member between the two pieces.

Then I took measurements so I could start trimming my factory bumper skin to fit over the D Ring Mounts.* Now these next few pictures are compliments from Detours instructions page. I forgot to stop and take pictures during this procedure.*

Then I drilled the holes needed and installed the outside brackets to sandwich the bumper skin between the subframe and the outer mounts.*These pics are also compliments of Detours instructions page.*

Then I installed the tire carrier onto the spindle and adjusted my latch accordingly. Then installed my 33x12.50 spare onto my new Detours Tailbone Tire Carrier.

My final thoughts are that its a pretty stout unit for the price. There are a few things I would have probably done differently if I would have designed it. But all in all I am a very happy customer. We will see if it stands up to some abuse over the years of use. But so far I am very pleased with my purchase.
    Last edited by aquickmopar; 11-15-2012 at 05:08 PM.
    99 Cherokee Classic 4DR, AW4, NP231- A.A. SYE Tom Woods Drive Shafts. D30 4:10's Locked D44 4:10's Locked
    Lift:
    6.5" RE Lift W/ Control Arm Drop Brackets.
    Wheels&Tires:
    15x8 Mickey Thompson Classic II's
    33x12.50's
    Armor:
    L.M.P. Front Winch Bumper W/Custom Stinger
    Smittybilt H2O 10,000LB Winch
    Rustys Front Approach Skid,
    Engine / Tranny Skid &
    T-Case Skid
    Mopar Gas Tank Skid
    Custom4x4Fabrication Sliders
    J.C.R. Lower Rear Quater Armor
    Detours TailBone Rear Tire Carrier

Default Re: How To Install Detours Tailbone!

Thanks for the writeup.... I've been thinking about picking up the tailbone as a great option to complete a rear bumper w/ tire carrier and D-ring attachments for hitting the trails... Look forward to seeing reviews after some trail use and some time with it installed...
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Default Re: How To Install Detours Tailbone!

You are not seeing double. This write up was added to the articles.