Thread: Full spring pack vs. Shackles

Default Full spring pack vs. Shackles

I noticed that when I go to purchase Rusty's 4.5" lift kit with the 4.5" rear leaf pack (not AAL), they give you the option of going either a full 4.5" spring, or a 3" spring with 1.5" shackles.
    Why is it that the 3" spring - 1.5" shackle combination is more expensive than the 4.5" full leaf spring? It seems to me it should be the other way around, but then again, I'm new to this.
    Is there an advantage to having the shackle set-up?

Thanks.

Default Re: Full spring pack vs. Shackles

Generally get more flex with the 3" spring and 1.5" shackle. But nothing wrong with the 4.5" pack, if its cheaper go that way.
    01 XJ /4" lift /33" DC Muds
    / M/T Sidebiters/ Surco / Hi-lift /Pilot Navigator lights / Bad Apple Fab diff gaurds / Midland/ Wilson / Front and rear receiver hitches / Rusty's LCA's / Magnaflow / AEM Intake / TB spacer / Jet Stage 1 / Pioneeer & Fusion Sound / AJ's Super rails / Warn Skid / BW Flat Flares/ Bedlined Rockers and Quarters / Big Daddy Tie Rod / Rustys Steering Brace

Is one or the other more likely to sag more, in the long run?

Shackles tend to wear springs faster because of the added flex
    01 XJ /4" lift /33" DC Muds
    / M/T Sidebiters/ Surco / Hi-lift /Pilot Navigator lights / Bad Apple Fab diff gaurds / Midland/ Wilson / Front and rear receiver hitches / Rusty's LCA's / Magnaflow / AEM Intake / TB spacer / Jet Stage 1 / Pioneeer & Fusion Sound / AJ's Super rails / Warn Skid / BW Flat Flares/ Bedlined Rockers and Quarters / Big Daddy Tie Rod / Rustys Steering Brace

If your rig is a dedicated trail rig then go for the shackles, but if it is a DD them go for the packs. That's my opinion, others may vary.
    Hey bubba get your hand off my ass,

Some days it is just not worth it to gnaw through the leather restraints.

R.I.P. Brian 96_XJ Perrine 1990-2011

I would go for the packs. Your spring is set up so it has a long and short side. It is also angled with the long side higher than the short. Engineers who are smarter than me set it up this way to be able to provide a longer spring on one end and improve the ride over a level spring. When you use an extended shackle, it lowers the rear of the spring and puts a more equal load on both sides. The longer side will flex more. Lots of guys like shackles for this reason. But it causes the rear of the spring to flex more than the front under full stuff and will eventually take the temper out of the spring if used hard off road. I would rather protect my investment with the full pack minus any shackles.

You can also add in the shackle relocation brackets to correct your shackle angle. You will also improve your flex without having to run a new (lift) shackle.

Just another idea.

It's all fun and games till your driveshaft falls out from to much flex and letting your rear axle drop down to far. I would go with full leafs!