Thread: Aw4 repair? Or replace?

Default Aw4 repair? Or replace?

Hey guys, I have some serious questions for you. Let me start off by telling you this is my first mopar vehicle and it's been a hell of a time learning all the different stuff. So I discovered quick connect transmission lines last week on my aw4, the line has been leaking really bad like a quart a day minimum so I went under to look, I saw the line and figured it was like a regular fitting with the flared pipe and proceeded to tighten the adapter, the leak slowed and I gave it one last 1/4 turn and it snapped the transmission housing off. Think if it was a light bulb I broke the socket in half, there is no way I can helicoil or drill and tap anything since it broke off. I'm just about done with dropping it, been busy at work and will have it done tomorrow night. Do you think I can get some sort of pipe welded to plumb off of? Or will I need a whole new transmission? And the next question is, if I can't find a 4x2 since no one seems to have them... If I swapped in a 4x4 transmission with no intention of using the front wheels, would I just need a longer driveshaft or is there other things I would need to worry about? Thanks in advance guys!

Default Re: Aw4 repair? Or replace?

Well, first off, welding the housing could probably be done to repair it, but you would need to disassemble the tranny to drill and tap it. The 2WD tranny is the same as the 4WD tranny except for the tail shaft and tail housing. To run the 4WD tranny, you would also need a transfer case behind it with the 4WD rear drive shaft. Otherwise you would have to disassemble both transmissions and swap the parts over. So if you get the 4WD tranny, might as well get a transfer case to put on the back and call it good. Who knows you might want to finish that up and have 4WD
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

You know I thought about that, a slow swap as I get money and go to the jy. I'll post some pics tomorrow once it's dropped to show you what I mean. And I figured since its dropped I might as well do everything I can with the opportunity so I was going to drop the oil pan pull the valve cover to replace the gaskets, maybe get the rear main seal done while it's all open, and I was considering an oil pump or an oil pump rebuild since I have over 200k I figured I'm running on borrowed time. Anything else you think I should worry about? Timing chain, water pump? Also thank you again for your help

OK, post pics when you can
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Hey, sorry about that, got tied up at work and ended up postponing the drop to tonite. Here are some photos of the part I busted out....
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Sorry to see that! Tough circumstances for sure that something so small could ruin a whole transmission. Hope you get it fixed easily and not too hard on the wallet.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.
    Last edited by XJ Wheeler; 03-26-2015 at 10:54 AM.

So good news everyone! I went to a new upullit in my area and got a 100 transmission with only 100k miles! Picked up a full size spare and some sensors and switches and a transmission cooler and paid about 150! But the lines and wiring wAs all cut so I gotta drop both pans and switch over everything, but come on 100 tranny? Wtf? That place is stupid cheap 4 rims and 10 tires! 100 motors! Crazy! So now I'm going to hopefully have it in by Monday night after work. Thanks for everything guys!

oderdene is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Good find, congrats
    '91 XJ Limited | 4.0 H.O. I6 | AW-4 | NP242J | D30 | C8.25 | BFG KM2 33x10.50x15 | front winch bumper ...

Certainly a good day
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers