Thread: Need help with a No Start Rebuild

Default Need help with a No Start Rebuild

So I just finished the rebuild and install of my "new to me" engine. Everything is back in place. It turns over perfectly fine but it won't fire at all. It's getting fuel, and spark and I believe it to be in time...can you Jeep veterans assist me with this dilemma....anything will help.

Default Re: Need help with a No Start Rebuild

Is the distributor installed correctly? Cylinder #1 at TDC rotor pointing at the #1 tower on the cap. Firing order?

I believe that it's correct. What is the steps for that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

TDC is marked on the crank pulley and the compression stroke begins after the INTAKE valve opens. Remove #1 spark plug to and make sure you have the compression stroke. If you put your thumb over the spark plug hole you will feel the pressure building on the compression stroke as you turn the engine.
    Turn the engine clockwise by the crank pulley bolt, never turn it CCW. Turn the crank and set the pointer to the TDC (0) mark, which should correspond to the FIRST time the piston raises to the top after the intake valve opened and closed. Then turn the distributor until the rotor points to the terminal for #1 cylinder (that should be at 5 oclock as viewed from the pass side), and clamp it down. Now double check the other wires after you replace plug#1 and wire it. The engine should start - if it doesn't, you have another problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ok....so i did exactly what you said and it act/sound like it wanted to start but nothing :-( I even smelled exhaust fumes. What do you think should be next?

Leave the distributor clamp just loose enough that you can turn the dist by hand. Have someone crank it and turn the dist slowly in either direction and see if it fires. If it does not, check your previous work making sure engine is at TDC compression stroke and rotor points just before the #1 wire. It may be a tooth off or 180 degrees out.
    If it smells like gas it may be flooded in which case with the key off put a brick on the gas pedal overnight and it may fire right up tomorrow. Remove brick before attempting to start it :0)

So, heres the delimna, I removed the old/original engine that was in my jeep. I purchase a running engine from forum user SpecFab (which i owe 100...almost forgot again). Yes, it was running because I heard and seen it run before we pulled it. Got it home and cleaned it. I purchased a new timing set, gasket set, valve cover gasket, tune-up kit, expansion plugs, thermostat and water pump. When those came in, I removed the head, rocker arms and all from that engine and used the old head assuming it was good (probably a stupid move). I think I'm gonna just purchase a new head bolts, valve cover gasket and head gasket and place the original head back with the original engine since it ran together and start there. I know I placed the timing set on correctly but I'll do it all again to get it together right.* What do you guys think?

Pull the timing cover and make sure the marks line up with cyl 1 at TDC
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Did you use a torque wrench when you put the head on?

Yes I did.