Thread: Newbie needs help! 1996 XJ Check Engine light.

Default Newbie needs help! 1996 XJ Check Engine light.

So I have just recently picked up my 1st XJ. It is a 96 and all was great until this morning. I got in and started her up and the Check Engine light is staying on. I did the manual error code retreaval and found it to be error 25-the idle air control. I have read in the Haynes manual that I may need to take it to the shop due to the fact that replacing the IAC valve may not correct the problem. Should i just change it and see if the check engine light goes out or is there something else to check that could be causing this code?

P.S. Also when I started her up this morning I had to keep it revved up until it got warm or it would just die. Once It was warm I had no problems? Thanks for any suggestions.

Default Re: Newbie needs help! 1996 XJ Check Engine light.

The first thing I would do is take it off and clean it.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

just replace it , it is only 36 , why take the chance of it failing again
    1996 classic -4.0 - NP231j with OMIX SYE with Tom Woods Drive Shaft - HP D30 - C8.25 - 3.55 Gears - 6.5 RC lift - M/T 35x12.5x15 Baja Claws On M/T Black Signature Series Wheel 15x10 cast Aluminum -Rusty Front Prerunner Bumper - Smittybelt RXC8 8,500LBS in Front and Champion 10,000LBS in Rear - Custom Rear Bumper - Iron Rock Off Road OTK Steering - Cut Fenders- Crystal Clear H/L Housing with 8K HIDS - Bed lined Rockers and Quarters-

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

yes i would take it off and clean it and then see if that helps.
    then if not like 96xj said it is only 36 nto bad if you have to change it out.
    01, Tera Flex 6" long arm kit, jks quick disco's,jks bar pin eliminators, Fox 2.0 shocks I won for 5 bucks, Tom woods Sye with rear drive shaft, Tera flex rear disc brakes, custom front bumper, customer rear bumper, rage roof rack. H4 head lights, k&n intake and cone, black steelies with 285x75x16 retreads, metal gas skid. Finally I have a nice jeep no more pos.
    .,=====o00
    //___l__,\____\,___
    l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

How many miles are on it? From what I understand (someone may have fed me a crock of bull) is that the factory default is 85k or so for the check engine light to come on, supposedly to "prompt" a replacement of the O2 sensor. I just put a piece of black electrical tape over the idiot light and kept driving it with no problems.

Clean it with some carb n choke cleaner and see if that helps. If not then replace it. You don't have to take it to a shop.I have a 96 and when mine went I replaced it and it's been fine ever since.

Take it from a mechanic. Pull the IAC, clean it with a can of carb cleaner, while you're at it clean the whole throttle body. This will take the whole can of cleaner and a couple of towels if you do it right. The IAC runs off of vacuum and any "gum" will affect its performance. Afterwards it will take it a minute to run right again as it will have it's "snoot" full of cleaner. Reset the light (you can do it manually by unhooking the battery cable for about 10-15 minutes). If problem reoccures change IAC. Oh yeah. IAC stands for idle air control. It's found on the side of the intake plenum. Don't confuse it with the TPS (throttle position sensor). If you need more info or pictures let me know.