Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How I get free or very cheap tools

Default Re: How I get free or very cheap tools

When my father used to work at one of the junkyards near where we live, I used to work with him on the weekends, and I was always the one that was allowed to search through all the new junkers coming in or the ones that were out back and clean whatever tools, or stereo equiptment was in them, and thats how we always had gotten tools. Granted my dad used to buy from the snap-on guy and the SK guy that came every week but thats besides the point... While I worked there( from about 5 years old till I was 11) I must have found at least 6,000 worth of tools that people forgot in their old cars. Along with tons of other stuff...
    '94 Cherokee SE, 15x8 Black Rock D-window rims, 31x10.50-15 BFG KM2, Rusty's 3" AAL w/ 1.5" shackles and 1.75" coil Spacers, adj track bar and lower control arms. Riddler front diff cover, ruff stuff rear cover, D30 front, Chry 8.25 rear, hella 700FF's K&N air filter, flowmaster super 44

Just thought I would share something. I went shopping for some torx bits tonight and went to sears as usual to buy craftsman stuff. I like their warranty. Any, they have a new line called evolv.

These are regular craftsman tool with the full warranty that in this case only cost 10 for the whole set. They are made from recycled craftsman tools that have been warrantied.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

bad luck is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

I used to get tools in pawn shops too. But I agree with Steve it seems like you can buy new for just as cheap as most of the pawn shops. And if I buy nice new expensive tools they just get lost or "borrowed" I do buy some tools on ebay, if they are american made and a decent price.

I grew up similar to the OP, with a Dad who had minimal tools and didn't believe in buying metric tools.

I picked up a large collection of tools that now include everything from wrenches and sockets to mighty vacs, impact screwdrivers, torque wrenches, a bunch of specialty VW tools, and even a monstrous cherry picker.

Yardsales- tons of opportunities here, especially when you find estate sales

Craigslist- A while back I found an ad on craigslist where a guy was selling a nice rolling box for 200. He took a job with the border patrol and needed to move ASAP. I went and picked it up, and his wife emptied all the tools out of it. He called me back a couple hours later and asked me to come back- the tools were supposed to be included with the box! I ended up with a full set of sae and metric SK sockets and wrenches from that one, then sold the box for 150 a couple years later.

Coworkers- When I started working in shops I noticed that a lot of the older techs had huge collections of broken Crafstman tools that they had long ago replaced with Snap On, etc and never got around to exchanging. I bought a whole mess of them for pennies on the dollar, and exchanged them at Sears.

I've never had much luck with pawnshops. Their prices are overinflated, and they usually want to sell the whole package box and all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12