How to check OBD (I&II) codes without a scanner - Page 2 - Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
jeeptalkshow.com

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk > xjtalk Articles > Articles

Notices

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Super Moderator
Jim's Information
Thanked 4,159 Times in 2,497 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Chats: 3154
Brasscatz has a reputation beyond reputeBrasscatz has a reputation beyond reputeBrasscatz has a reputation beyond reputeBrasscatz has a reputation beyond reputeBrasscatz has a reputation beyond reputeBrasscatz has a reputation beyond reputeBrasscatz has a reputation beyond reputeBrasscatz has a reputation beyond reputeBrasscatz has a reputation beyond reputeBrasscatz has a reputation beyond reputeBrasscatz has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Default How to check OBD (I&II) codes without a scanner
by Brasscatz 08-22-2012, 07:56 PM

Thanks again to Scott (XJ4IV) for bringing this to my attention. I had my check engine light come on during my drive home the other night, and was planning to take it up to the auto parts store the next day to have the codes read. Scott told me that Jeep made it possible on later models to read your trouble codes without using a scanner.

Pre- 97 Jeeps can be read by putting the key in the ignition and turn the key to run (not start), then off, then run, then off, then run (that's 3 runs and 2 offs). Leave the key in the run position. The check engine light will turn on for a few seconds, then turn off, then (sometimes after 20-30 seconds) start flashing. The flashes are counting out 2-digit trouble codes. Fast flashes count up each digit, with a longer pause between digits. 55 indicates the end of all codes. Once you've got your code list, consult the list below to see what they mean.

97+ I did the same procedure, but in addition to my check engine light flashing, my digital odometer flashed the 2 digit codes as well.

In addition, here are some videos that show how to run these checks:

96 and under

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6e1Q23pGd0"]jeep cherokee check engine light OBD1 - YouTube[/ame]

97 and newer (video is of my test on my 97)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYz-j-HMIjI"]Checking OBDII codes on '97+ Jeep Cherokee - YouTube[/ame]

And another video showing how to test your instrument panel functions on a 97+. I don't know if this works on any other Jeeps.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEeIuTWjdlg"]Jeep Cherokee Instrument Cluster Self Test Diagnosis - YouTube[/ame]

Comments

Old 04-14-2015
Level: Cherokee XJ
Pete's Information

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chats: 9
Poorboy is a splendid one to beholdPoorboy is a splendid one to beholdPoorboy is a splendid one to beholdPoorboy is a splendid one to beholdPoorboy is a splendid one to beholdPoorboy is a splendid one to behold
Garage
unknownfirefox
Default Re: How to check OBD (I&II) codes without a scanner

Renix era ('87 to '90) XJ's do not have a check engine light that is used for diagnostics. The Renix system for all intents and purposes doesn't have any code capabilities whatsoever. The check engine light in a Renix is only for emission maintenance reminders, not diagnosis. '91 and up do use and display a check engine light.

Sent from my potato by Tapatalk.