What the What? Zinc... - Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
jeeptalkshow.com

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk > General > Product Reviews

Notices

Product Reviews Bought something new? How'd you like it? Write your review of the product here.

Old 05-19-2017
Site Subscriber!
Dave's Information

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chats: 7
Infidel Edition has much to be proud ofInfidel Edition has much to be proud ofInfidel Edition has much to be proud ofInfidel Edition has much to be proud ofInfidel Edition has much to be proud ofInfidel Edition has much to be proud ofInfidel Edition has much to be proud ofInfidel Edition has much to be proud ofInfidel Edition has much to be proud ofInfidel Edition has much to be proud of
Garage
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default What the What? Zinc...

So I'm breaking in my newly rebuilt engine and didn't drop for break in oil as you can just get some straight 30 weight and add zinc to get pretty much the same thing for like 1/3. Run it for the first 3-5 hours (200-250 miles) and then change it.

Though sometimes tricky to find, Auto Zone has 1 gal Rotella SAE 30 for like 16 and I picked up a bottle of Zinc from O'Reilly's Auto the other day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170518_160123951_HDR.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	657.9 KB
ID:	10255

When I ran into the local auto parts store (Mike's / he's a great guy), I wanted to grab another bottle of Zinc, I noticed the same bottle on the shelf...
Mike jokingly asked why I'd buy a bottle of nothing ~ and when I told him what I was doing, he said he could order some Zinc additive for me.

Puzzled, I said, "isn't that zinc?"

Mike: "didn't you read the label?"

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170518_160133018_HDR.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	469.2 KB
ID:	10254

"Does not contain Zinc or Phosphorous"
................WHAT THE WHAT!

So my zinc additive will be in today.
** he said, though this does roughly the same thing for an older engine, it's not the best thing for a new engine because it'll reduce the vital wear-in of the rings and such.....
But be a badass everyday!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 07-06-2017
Super Moderator
James's Information

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,651 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chats: 38871
bluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
macossafari
Default Re: What the What? Zinc...

OK... could of sworn I posted in this thread already... Guess it didn't apply when I said post reply... oh well... Yeah that's good that you had someone that stopped you from wasting more money and even more so from wasting more money by possibly damaging or not really properly breaking in your new engine... The unfortunate part is... I'm sure many people have been like yeah, I did run zinc additive for the break-in of my engine, I don't know what happened... all because of the way they lightly put does not contain zinc on the back... Guess I'll have to make sure when I finally get to that stage on my build to remember to pickup either true break-in oil, or if I do the 30wt route, to make sure I get some real zinc additive to make my own break-in oil... Thanks for that heads up Dave!!
Old 07-06-2017
Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
Denver's Information

Thanked 2,242 Times in 1,357 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Chats: 1233
denverd1 has a reputation beyond reputedenverd1 has a reputation beyond reputedenverd1 has a reputation beyond reputedenverd1 has a reputation beyond reputedenverd1 has a reputation beyond reputedenverd1 has a reputation beyond reputedenverd1 has a reputation beyond reputedenverd1 has a reputation beyond reputedenverd1 has a reputation beyond reputedenverd1 has a reputation beyond reputedenverd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: What the What? Zinc...

crazy what some people bottle and sell these days

RED 98 XJ with 4.5" lift, ZJ steering, front and rear locked on 33's
Cobra CB, SYE, bumpers, 10K winch, lights
,___________
//___l__,\____\,00_
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]|
(o)_)--(o)_)--(o)_)