headlight switch problem - Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
jeeptalkshow.com

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk > It's Technical... > OEM/Factory

Notices

OEM/Factory Adding or repairing items that came from, or would have come from the factory. (ex: replacing alternator, won't start, water pump, etc...)

Old 11-21-2009
Level: Cherokee XJ
Carlos's Information

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chats: 6
greenchevy will become famous soon enoughgreenchevy will become famous soon enough
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default headlight switch problem

i changed this a few years back. I changed the switch when it went bad but it didn't work completely. When turn the knob till it clicks the interior lights doesn't turn on when. When you open the front doors the the lights don't turn on. When you open the back two doors or tailgate the interior lights turn on. i can turn the headlights on and dim the lights. What sounds like the problem? 89 jeep wagoneer limited 4.0 ook I got to looking at it again and i found that the ground wire wasn't on the switch. My next question is why won't my seat belt light won't turn off. also when you open the front doors do only the lights one the bottom near the doors turn on not the roof interior lights?

Last edited by greenchevy; 11-21-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-21-2009
pvt.Tadpol xj
's Information

Chats:
windows_vistaie
Default Re: headlight switch problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenchevy View Post
i changed this a few years back. I changed the switch when it went bad but it didn't work completely. When turn the knob till it clicks the interior lights doesn't turn on when. When you open the front doors the the lights don't turn on. When you open the back two doors or tailgate the interior lights turn on. i can turn the headlights on and dim the lights. What sounds like the problem? 89 jeep wagoneer limited 4.0 ook I got to looking at it again and i found that the ground wire wasn't on the switch. My next question is why won't my seat belt light won't turn off. also when you open the front doors do only the lights one the bottom near the doors turn on not the roof interior lights?
Hopefully this will not be a mystery repair! boy those can take a lot of time to trace down and repair, But maybe this can help you. go ahead and check all of your fuses in the fuse block. Also some of the early 90s XJs have a relay under the dash close to the steering column just for the interior lighting, and it might be easy to distinguish by its unusal color most relays are just BLK but the one you are looking might be med. Brown. Good Luck
Old 11-22-2009
Level: Jeep Wrangler
YellowSub2000's Information

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chats: 1
YellowSub2000 will become famous soon enoughYellowSub2000 will become famous soon enough
windows_xp_2003ie

Also, on the door frame area there are switches (door switches). They are thin needle like do dads (Technical term). These can go bad or stick often. They are not expensive to replace, and might be your problem.
Old 11-22-2009
Super Moderator
Steve's Information

Thanked 8,616 Times in 5,946 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Chats: 1809
4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
macossafari

So the lights work when the tail or back doors open. Your switches are bad or not getting power. This is not a fuse problem. Pull them and check them if you have an ohm meter. If not, use a test light. Sounds like the switches are the problem. They wear out over time or get dirty inside.