Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saddest day of my life

Default Re: Saddest day of my life

Hey, a couple feet of hose and some clamps will get it done! Gotta do what you gotta do!

So lets cover all bases here. I replaced the brake hoses, calipers, and wheel cylinders. The rear cylinders were frozen so they were definitely junk. Got it all back together and the darn thing STILL had a spongy pedal. With that being said I popped the master off today, it was leaking all into the brake booster. Get the new one on there bleed the entire system. PEDAL IS STILL SPONGY! Brakes work great, they lock up, don't drag, they're all grabbing but the darn pedal is spongy! As you guys may have caught onto, the frikkin PO had the Helen Keller equivalent of an auto mechanic working on this thing. The darn nuts for the brake lines were all stripped out. Shout out once again to my dad for sitting there with a grinder to make a wrench fit on them again. Somebody had screwed with the pushrod in the brake booster and had it all out of whack so dad adjusted that for me, the pedal grabs where it's suppose to now but still SPONGE!

Forgive me if there is a very obvious post regarding my issue at hand but I am using an ancient laptop that leaves me with little patience to browse a forum.

Y'all got any ideas on this sponge I call my brake pedal?

Sure Emily. Did you use rubber brake hoses? They will swell under pressure. I know you used new ones, but they don't make stuff like they used to. Stainless steel braided hoses give a much firmer feel. And just for giggles, have dad look at the firewall and under the dash to make sure stuff doesn't flex. Might be missing some hardware under the dash from when your stellar mechanics worked on it
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

We did use rubber hoses. I can't imagine them having zero improvement over the 17 year old hoses we replaced. The old fart did get under the dash with the flash light and didn't see anything. I'm stumped

Well, I gotta tell ya I have had my share of lousy luck with new parts lately. Stuff is getting cheap and crappy
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

I welded up the notches in my front disk brake pad sliders.
    That helped a lot! New pads don't drag now and brake feel is fantastic!

I will take some pictures tomorrow and do a quick write up.
    It may not be what you are having trouble with, but the pics will show you what to check!
    The Spindles are cast steel and take welding well. Rock auto has replacements for around 120.
    Brakes can be so annoying at times!
    Last edited by OldFaurt; 11-13-2016 at 09:35 AM.
    Bob, KJ5XJ
    2002 TJ
    4.0L,
    32RH,
    NP231J,
    4: lift
    BF Goodrich LT285/75 R16"
    KJ5XJ 2M, 70CM, 160-5M HF
    Bedlinered interior floor
    Yup! That's my Beautiful baby!
    If you're not on ...

Plot twist, it was the brake booster. Never seen those symptoms in a bad booster before. Got a tag on it Friday, caught it on fire by Sunday LOL. You'd think if your tranny cooler lines were crimped you'd find out why they did that? Well I was too busy for all that so I just fixed them and went with it. Took it down a trail, suspension bottomed out (No bump stops), crimped the cooler lines I just gosh darn fixed, ripped the wires going to the starter and grounded out on the chassis, and started a small fire. Luckily I had just eaten a delicious BBQ meal at my favorite local chain, Sonny's, and the nice lady serving us offered us to go cups for our drinks. If it weren't for those dang drinks the next best thing to put the fire out was rolling it down a hill into the pond a 100 yards away Lol. Probably should keep a fire extuingisher in there from here on out. Also had absolutely no tools in it which isn't like me I just hadn't had the opportunity to set this jeep up yet because I had been working all week prior to this event. I had a knife and some 8 gauge wire that I had ran up under the backseat so I cut that off and used it to jump the starter off and got me home. Needless to say i fixed it same day and drove it to work this morning no issues.

Nice Emily, great story.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers