Thread: Speaker Repair

Default Speaker Repair

Hey guys. Was looking into why my left front (driver side door) speaker has never worked. i took door panel off and looked at it; it looked fine to me. so i swapped it with passenger side front speaker and wouldn't you know it it works just fine. So that means theres a problem with the wiring somewhere from inside the door to the harness behind the stereo, right? the speaker works, just never works when it is plugged in to that location. any tips where to start fixing this problem? any help woud be appreciated! thanks!
    "And that's all I have to say about that."

The weak accept what they have to accept; The strong do what they have to do.

Default Re: Speaker Repair

Since your speaker works you would have one of two conditions. First, your head unit may not be working or you have a break in the wiring. If it is the latter, then the break will most likely be at the door boot where it gets bent all the time. If you have an olm meter you can remove the head unit and check continuity on the wiring that way. If it checks out, then it is the head unit.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Red face Re: Speaker Repair

With out the history of your xj it's hard to tell did you try the other speaker in the other door and visa versa? Have you had your deck out? Is it a after market deck? My educated guess would be it's a loose wire behind your after market deck. If not try the plug from door to door jamb it could be coroded. Let me know if you need more help, the pleasure has been all mine.

Thanks for quick reply! The stereo is brand new i got it in december it cant be that because it came with a very clean and brand spanking new harness. put it in myself. so could it be the vehicle's end of the harness? i wouldnt think so because i remember checking them out when i swapped head units and it looked good to me. and yes I switched both speakers on both sides because first i thought it was speaker but NONE worked on driver side. so its definitely somewhere from door to other end of harness right?
    "And that's all I have to say about that."

The weak accept what they have to accept; The strong do what they have to do.

do a continuity check on both wires from the back of the head unit to the speaker connection you will probably find a break in one of the two wires. normally in the area where it passses through the door.If those check out ok run a leach wire from the head unit to the speaker and see if you get sound , if so run new speaker wire and your done. If not you have a bad head unit, that side channel is gone.
    Aint got no whistle, don't belch out smoke, but my V10 aint no joke !!!