Notices

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Moderator Emeritus
Melissa's Information
Groans: 1
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Chats: 1
Melissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant futureMelissa has a brilliant future
Default Cleaning Your Neutral Safety Switch
by Melissa 10-09-2009, 03:28 PM

This is my first write up, plus my first time cleaning a NSS, but here goes anyways.

Tools needed are a 12mm socket, flat head screw driver, electrical cleaner, dielectric grease, and very fine sand paper ( I used 200 grit )

Locate your NSS, on my 93 it was on the left side of my tranny at the front.
This is the mess that greeted me when i located it

First thing I did was to unplug the sensor from in the engine compartment and clip the two zip ties holding the NSS wires to other wires, I found the plug on the left, at the back of my valve cover, by the dip stick tube.

Next I crawled under and attacked the NSS

I used the 12mm socket to remove the top bolt, then I bent back the tabs on the lock washer behind the lower big nut. I found that the big nut was only finger tight, but this is how it should be (I was told). after I removed the big nut and lock washer, I found there to be a rubber gasket under the lock washer, don't lose this gasket, it's hard to see when everything is dirty, but it's there. After I had a this part done, I replaced the large nut a couple turns back on and used my flat head screw driver as leverage on the big nut to help pull the NSS off straight, do not twist off the NSS as it can damage it.

Once off, I had one very dirty NSS to deal with

In this picture, there is the NSS, the top bolt, big nut, lock washer, and rubber gasket.

Now the fun part

Remove the six screws holding the part together, but be careful when you seperate the part, as the arm inside does have two spring loaded brass contacts that might want to take a leap for freedom, and they would be almost impossible to find again. After open here are some pics of the inside goodies.

After tearing apart the inside I soaked all the pieces in electrical cleaner and then let them dry completely. I then used the 220 sand paper and sanded all the contacts, including the two brass ones from the arm.

Before

After

Oh...so pretty now

So now that everything is all clean and pretty, I used the dielectric grease and gave everything a good smear with it.

Now, put all the pieces back in, put the two halves back on, and replace the six screws.

All thats left is to reinstall the NSS back on your rig the way you took it off and pug her back in.

Make sure your reverse lights are working, and that your jeep will only start in park or neutral, and wa la..................your good to go
Views 25672 Comments 40
Total Comments 40

Comments

Old 04-02-2011
Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
Karl's Information

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chats: 83
KH96XJ is a splendid one to beholdKH96XJ is a splendid one to beholdKH96XJ is a splendid one to beholdKH96XJ is a splendid one to beholdKH96XJ is a splendid one to beholdKH96XJ is a splendid one to beholdKH96XJ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cleaning Your Neutral Safety Switch

Thanks for the write up. I found this very useful when I cleaned mine, even though the backup lights only worked for two weeks for me afterwards. Only thing I would add is to tie some string to the plug so you can pull it back up easy when you reinstall it.
Old 04-02-2011
Show Me The Trails
Mar's Information

Chats: 251
modestmar00xj is a jewel in the roughmodestmar00xj is a jewel in the roughmodestmar00xj is a jewel in the rough

nice! good work!
6.5'' Rough Country lift, 35x12.5x15 BFGoodrich M/T's, 15'' Cragars Beadlocks, Rusty's TBS, A.A. SYE, Optima (red top) Battery, CB Radio w/5'' Fire Stick Antenna, Flowmaster Super 44 Dual Custom Exaust, 4 Cheep 2'' Bumper Lights, Custom Front bumper /w Stinger, Yakama Bike Rack, Garmin GPS, Kenwood 6.5'' Indash Radio, 4 6.5'' Kenwood Speakers, 12' Alpine Type R Sub In Custom Jeep Enclosure, Alpine mono Amp, Ect.
Old 04-04-2011
Level: Hummer (H2)
Mark's Information

Chats: 0
crashmcwhly is on a distinguished road

Great write up! Just bought my first XJ two days ago and yup, no reverse lights. Well, thx 2 u, now they work. Thumbs Up!
Old 02-04-2012
Eatin' Dirt
SanRico's Information

sanrico is on a distinguished road

To Melissa,

I just wanted to give a heartfelt thank you for such an excellent post and those great pictures. I know when you are under the Cherokee and there is greasy dirty falling everywhere, the last thing you might want to do is stop your job and take pictures so you can explain it to everyone. So I thank you for your excellent work and helpful attitude.

Posts like this are what make an excellent forum. I'm a member of many forums from home repair to Jeeping, and they vary in quality and helpfulness. Glad to be part of XJTalk. I look forward to learning more!
Old 11-03-2012
Ben's Information

Thatsmydawg is on a distinguished road

Mine doesn't start either. I don't have reverse lights either, but I try running it threw the gears while I hold te key down. It doesn't start when it's cold I don't have spark or fuel. Might be something else though. Nice write up thanks
Old 11-03-2012
Super Moderator
Steve's Information

Thanked 8,615 Times in 5,946 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Chats: 1809
4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

I think your neutral safety switch on the tranny is not working. You might try to remove it carefully and clean it. They are expensive to replace.
Griffin radiator
On board air
Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
30 gal gas tank
lockers
And a bunch of other stuff
Old 11-04-2012
Super Moderator
James's Information

Thanked 2,409 Times in 1,646 Posts
Chats: 38864
bluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsmydawg View Post
Mine doesn't start either. I don't have reverse lights either, but I try running it threw the gears while I hold te key down. It doesn't start when it's cold I don't have spark or fuel. Might be something else though. Nice write up thanks
I would definately say try carefully removing and cleaning the NSS just as said above, and if that doesn't work, you might look at your Crank Position Sensor.
Old 07-15-2013
John's Information

jrrfig is on a distinguished road
windows_vistaie

All I can say is WOW! My 98 XJ starts GREAT! And all for under 10.00 and about an hour labor.
Thanks guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to jrrfig For This Useful Post:
Mudderoy (07-17-2013)
Old 12-13-2013
Level: Jeep Liberty
Wesley's Information

Chats: 2
92warwagon will become famous soon enough
Garage
windows_xp_2003safari

very cool I bet my wife would like it she doesnt have to wiggle it just a little bit. nice write- in hte todo list for sure...
Old 08-21-2016
Level: Cherokee XJ
Robert's Information

dagod16 is a jewel in the roughdagod16 is a jewel in the roughdagod16 is a jewel in the roughdagod16 is a jewel in the rough
windows_98_nt_2000firefox

Does a 2001 xj have one of these switches.

I can't stop working on my jeep, help!
Old 08-28-2016
Super Moderator
James's Information

Thanked 2,409 Times in 1,646 Posts
Chats: 38864
bluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagod16 View Post
Does a 2001 xj have one of these switches.

I can't stop working on my jeep, help!
Yes, they all have the annoying to work on NSS.. Not too bad to change out if you got a bit of time and don't mind finagling a bit..