Blown Head Gasket! - Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk
DetoursUSA.com
Advertise on xjtalk

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk > It's Technical... > OEM/Factory

Notices

OEM/Factory Adding or repairing items that came from, or would have come from the factory. (ex: replacing alternator, won't start, water pump, etc...)

Old 07-25-2011
"Just some guy"
Tony's Information

Thanked 5,360 Times in 3,325 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Chats: 25002
Mudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
windows_xp_2003safari
View Mudderoy's Twitter Profile
Default Blown Head Gasket!

As I suspected for some time now I have a blown head gasket on the 1998. I ordered the exhaust leak test kit from Amazon the other day and didn't get around testing the Jeeps until today.

I tested the 1998 after driving it an hour home. It turned yellow pretty fast. I have the two chamber kit that is supposed to help resolve the false positives.

I also tested the 1999 but it had not been driven today. I took the cap off the radiator and ran it about 15 minutes then tested it, only once because I wasn't too sure that I was testing it correctly, it being cold and all.

It did NOT turn yellow. It stayed blue. I'll test it again after it's been driven and the system is hot.
Old 07-25-2011
"Just some guy"
Tony's Information

Mudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond reputeMudderoy has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: Blown Head Gasket, hey at least the gasket is happy...

So I'm considering my options.

I can pull the head off check to see if it is warped, and if so, take it to a machine shop and have the head tested for cracks and shaved so it will be flat again.

The Jeep will be done for several days and there is a possibility that the head will have to be replaced. I guess there's even a change that the block would have a problem, but I understand that would be unlikely.

Or I can buy a rebuilt head, new valves etc... and pull the current head off and put the new head on. Then I could take that head to the machine shop and all the work done to it. I'd have a spare for two Jeeps!

Or with 170k miles on my 1998 4.0L I could purchase a long block. I would keep my current engine and rebuild it myself. I could then put it in the 1999 XJ (when I felt like it). Most likely I would just sit on it until I thought the 99 4.0L was having an issue then do the rebuild.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to a good place to deal with for rebuilt heads and short or long blocks?
Old 07-25-2011
Super Moderator
Steve's Information

Thanked 5,817 Times in 4,101 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Chats: 1649
4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute
macossafari

Tony

I am a little leery of production rebuilds. There are a lot if times they cut corners or do something they shouldn't so they don't have to throw away a core. But that is just me.
Griffin radiator
On board air
Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
30 gal gas tank
lockers
And a bunch of other stuff
The Following User Says Thank You to 4.3LXJ For This Useful Post:
Mudderoy (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011
Done gone to the Dark Side
Matt's Information

Thanked 1,386 Times in 653 Posts
Groans: 5
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Chats: 13290
msmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
windows_98_nt_2000firefox

ok here's my 2cents search for the good head (the desired casting numbers) at the jyard and have it reworked. I've priced the machine work local and its about 100+ parts
Old 07-25-2011
Mall Crawler
James's Information

Thanked 1,802 Times in 1,048 Posts
Groans: 6
Chats: 22450
bigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond repute
windows_98_nt_2000ie

I am a firm beliver that if you test 10 xj's, 9 will show positive for a blown head gasket. Also I agree with Matt. Now if you saw ridges on the cylender walls when you have the head, then I would think about a rebuild
Old 07-25-2011
"Just some guy"
Tony's Information

Garage
windows_xp_2003safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmoorenburg View Post
ok here's my 2cents search for the good head (the desired casting numbers) at the jyard and have it reworked. I've priced the machine work local and its about 100+ parts
Oh I like that, just won't know if it's cracked until the the machine shop gets it.

It would need a value job though wouldn't it?
Old 07-25-2011
Matt's Information

msmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond reputemsmoorenburg has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
Oh I like that, just won't know if it's cracked until the the machine shop gets it.
true but they do offer a 30 warranty
Old 07-27-2011
Crawlin'
Scott's Information

Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Chats: 3834
XJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant futureXJ4IV has a brilliant future
windows_xp_2003firefox

this is interesting... I always thought a blown head gasket will give tell tale signs like smoking like crazy and TOTAL lack of power and obviously seizing ... Id put 100 bucks that mine is blown as well LOL so I guess the 4.6 stroker is up on the chopping block this winter YAY!!!

92 XJ
dana50 front locked
dana60 rear locked
5.13 gears
cowl snorkel intake
37 boggers
best mod yet... God has given me permission to wheel!
Old 07-27-2011
Super Moderator
Steve's Information

4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute4.3LXJ has a reputation beyond repute
macossafari

Blown head gaskets can have a number of symptoms, depending on where it it is blown. I have had them put out a cloud of steam with a miss. Or hitting on all cylinders and literally pouring out the side. Ten miles to a gallon of water. Or just a tell tale miss that wouldn't let me pass smog, like the last time it happened. They can only let loose in the exhaust and never miss, only get the pressure in the water jacket. It can be highly variable.
Griffin radiator
On board air
30 gal gas tank
lockers
Old 07-27-2011
"Just some guy"
Tony's Information

Garage
windows_xp_2003safari

Well to be accurate I should say I have evidence of exhaust gasses in my coolant system. How it got there I cannot say. The most likely cause is a blown head gasket, a crack in the head or block, or a warp in the head or block. I think the block being warped is nearly impossible.
Old 07-27-2011
Mall Crawler
James's Information

Thanked 1,802 Times in 1,048 Posts
Groans: 6
Chats: 22450
bigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim350 has a reputation beyond repute
linuxsafari

Yeah I have never seen a warped block. Seen plenty of cacked ones though. Hell I cracked a 5.0 in half one time do to a nitrous hicup. But I doubt you have a cracked block
Old 07-27-2011
Super Moderator
Steve's Information

macossafari

My son the destroyer can go you one better, he broke the back off his 351 doing burn outs.

Gaskets let go before heads warp.
Griffin radiator
On board air
30 gal gas tank
lockers
Old 07-27-2011
Super Moderator
James's Information

Thanked 1,220 Times in 866 Posts
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chats: 33491
bluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond reputebluedragon436 has a reputation beyond repute
windows_98_nt_2000ie

I am planning on picking up another long block, then rebuilding my current 4.0 into a budget stroker and then swapping the stroker back into the 98.. then maybe if I really want too I'll rebuild the other long block into a budget stroker for another project or for a spare... heck.. take your head and have it checked at the machine shop, and have it ported and polished while it's there..
The Following User Says Thank You to bluedragon436 For This Useful Post:
jeepxj95 (07-28-2011)
Old 07-28-2011
Matt's Information

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim350 View Post
Yeah I have never seen a warped block. Seen plenty of cacked ones though. Hell I cracked a 5.0 in half one time do to a nitrous hicup. But I doubt you have a cracked block
pssst jim it's time to grow up and stop wanting to be bottle fed
Old 07-28-2011
Level: Cherokee XJ
default83's Information

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Chats: 142
default83 is a jewel in the roughdefault83 is a jewel in the roughdefault83 is a jewel in the rough
windows_xp_2003ie

just pull it, check for cracks, have it rebuilt at a local shop, if you need a number i have some guys that my dad uses all the time, good guys, and throw it back on.

you can check the cylinders/block, but i seriously doubt there is going to be any problems there, to replace the whole engine would be alot of work just for a head gasket.
The Following User Says Thank You to default83 For This Useful Post:
jeepxj95 (07-28-2011)