Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: **timing help**

denverd1 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Default Re: **timing help**

I thought about doing a writeup on this, but haven't had time. Muddy, et al, Let me know if anyone else would find it valuable to have some details on setting timing.
    Wheelin' East Texas in a RED XJ

RED 98 XJ with 4.5" lift, ZJ steering, front and rear locked on 33's
    cowl intake, Cobra CB, SYE, bumpers, 10K winch, lights
    ,___________
    //___l__,\____\,00_
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]|
    (o)_)--(o)_)--(o)_)

Also remember when timing a 4 stroke engine set TDC on the compression stroke not the exhust stroke.
    91 Cherokee RC 4.5 long arm lift ECTED locker in the front Lock Rite locker in the rear Warn front and rear bumpers with 8000lb Warn winch sliders Skyjacker shocks and disconects exterior paint orange/black Rinoline. Roof rack with KC lights. SADLY GONE BUT WON'T BE FORGETEN But hay there is still a XJ in the family

97 TJ 6" Super Lift lift 2" body lift 37x13.5 tires front and rear OX lockers full roll cage custom made f/r bumpers and sliders made by AAE Customs 8000# Ramsey winch with Kevlar rope and a sound system that can make you ears bleed

ok so my distributor has never been replaced and engine is original. what im looking to find out is if my timing is ok.. the groove on the crank almost always stops in a different position and not on the 0 degree mark and my distributor rotor is always pointing at #6 cyl post on the cap. ive read different opinions on where the rotor should be. does this sound like its right? or should i put the crank on 0 degree and then pull distr and align to #1 cyl post on distr cap???? seems like its off to me by180degrees but nothing has been touched or replaced...

From what I've read it starts and runs How many miles does it have on it? Sounds to me the timing chain needs to be replaced. Do not I repeat do not pull the distributer and re set it. It will never start again if you do. IMHO
    91 Cherokee RC 4.5 long arm lift ECTED locker in the front Lock Rite locker in the rear Warn front and rear bumpers with 8000lb Warn winch sliders Skyjacker shocks and disconects exterior paint orange/black Rinoline. Roof rack with KC lights. SADLY GONE BUT WON'T BE FORGETEN But hay there is still a XJ in the family

97 TJ 6" Super Lift lift 2" body lift 37x13.5 tires front and rear OX lockers full roll cage custom made f/r bumpers and sliders made by AAE Customs 8000# Ramsey winch with Kevlar rope and a sound system that can make you ears bleed

it has 217k... it does start and run but it doesnt crank right away and it hesitates on heavy take off. once in awhile when i come to a fast stop it kinda bogs down and seems like its gonna die but NEVER does. when it does that i give it a little gas and it runs fine again. also in park running if i turn the steering wheel either way it bogs down,wants to die but again never does. so it seem like some kind of engine drag to me.... ive checked all pulleys twice they turn very freely.

denverd1 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Loose timing chain would explain some of that. How your steering plays into it?? no clue.

If you read the manual (or read the link i posted a few days ago) setting the timing is easy and straightforward. I'll admit that its a bit different than other engines, but easy to do once you wrap your head around it.
    Wheelin' East Texas in a RED XJ

RED 98 XJ with 4.5" lift, ZJ steering, front and rear locked on 33's
    cowl intake, Cobra CB, SYE, bumpers, 10K winch, lights
    ,___________
    //___l__,\____\,00_
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]|
    (o)_)--(o)_)--(o)_)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12