Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tires, tires,tires. Whats your tire of choice?

Default Tires, tires,tires. Whats your tire of choice?

Me an a fellow jeep buddy got into a discussion over different tires, our favorite tires, and pro's an con's of different tires. ( We have no life outside of rocks an jeeps, and we are aware of this ). So naturally I thought hey this would be a pretty cool thread on here. So whats your favorite tires to run, tires you want to run, pro's an con's, best tires in your eye's etc. Chat it up!
    A year an a half ago if some one would have told me my jeep would take months to build, several thousands of dollars, never ever be done always be evolving, it will break an I will have to rebuild it time an time again, some times I will be broke for weeks because of it, I'll be taking the risk of rolling it an totaling it will out wheeling, an it will become more then a hobby I would have probably second guessed myself... but I'm glad no one told me all that...

Default Re: Tires, tires,tires. Whats your tire of choice?

This ought to go on for awhile. LOL

My personal choice is determined by application. Since I drive mine daily, and sometimes on long distances to get to where I want to wheel, then it is KM2s. Just bought a couple. They have good flex in them and fairly quiet on the highway. But if I was buying a strictly rock tire, it would be either KMs with the soft compound or IROKS with the same. For mud use, and still legal on the road it would be Boggers. For deep snow, it would be grooved Swamper SSRs. Strictly sand, paddles of course.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

I forgot to add my personal favorite. my favorite all around are pitbull rockers hands down. They're awesome in rocks and in mud. For a daily driver would be the pitbull growlers(go figure pitbull tires again ha) I do like the red labels though. I would love them for a straight rock rig seeing as that's my fancy, I like it on the rocks
    A year an a half ago if some one would have told me my jeep would take months to build, several thousands of dollars, never ever be done always be evolving, it will break an I will have to rebuild it time an time again, some times I will be broke for weeks because of it, I'll be taking the risk of rolling it an totaling it will out wheeling, an it will become more then a hobby I would have probably second guessed myself... but I'm glad no one told me all that...

I'm in the desert. For me it's BFG AT's. Quiet and long lasting. I've been driving mine out here in the rocks and dirt for 2 years and the tires are holding up nice. No damages to the sidewalls or tread surfaces.

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Hmmm tires tires tires. Oh Wait, since I'm getting ready to start up JeepSpeed racing, I have it easy!!! JS Rules require General Tire Grabbers (go figure.. general tire sponsors the events), My current fav is the AT2 (works great on the tracks or on the road, but then I pretty much have to get into the habit of saying that. Now IF I had Choices to make, I would be going with KM's, KM2's or Boggers. Just because I like the looks of those and others say good things about them too.
    Last edited by LizardRunner; 02-08-2012 at 01:39 PM.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

I have run the Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrain's as well as the Mickey Thompson Baja Claws.. I love them both, but the Pro Comp's were way quiter on the street, and they weren't directional.. which was nice.. especially for the spare..
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

I'd have to go with the Pitbull Rockers also

Road tyre ... Michelin.

A/T ... Ive been using Hankooks for years now ...

Knobbies ... since they would only be used now & then ... Something cheap ... probably Maxxis ... and maybe the Trepadors coz they have the sidewall mouldings like the Hankook.

I've only bought one, well techincally two I guess. The BFG MT KM and BFG MT KM2. I like the tread pattern on the KM much better but the KM2's really ride nice. I consider the KM2s a mix between a MT and AT tire though.

KH96XJ is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

I've had the BFG MT KM's on the FSJ I used to have and running BFG A/T's currently. I liked the KM's better even though they were louder. I ran some TSL swampers for a couple weeks, but they were way to obnoxious to drive on the street. If I ever buy a new set of tires I might try some Kumho Road Venture MT or Yokohama Geolander MT+ just to try something different.
    I aspire to be the man my dogs think I am.

It's a regional question.....honestly your favorite tire in Florida wont perform in New England, or Michigan.....A California favorite might perfom differently from southern to northern California.......not to mention Washington.....it's regional and regional expectations.......

I kinda agree with you detours but some tires can do it all I would say. I do have to say nitto has done pretty good designing tsome tires to go every where. Saw some in action for the first time this weekend. But another good one all my mudding buddies run is ofcourse interco, which I've seen ran all over the country from rocks, sand, to mud.. Although they have stamped they're name in the mud world

prerunner1982 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

I have always wanted to try the Hercules Trail Digger.

1993 2 door 4x4 4.0 5 speed
    1997 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto RIP 6/6/2016
    2000 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto

Day of Dirt Adventure

I ran Super Swamper TSL on my XJ and my TJ. This has got to be one of the better off-road tires. But for street driving, it is lousy. Wears out quick, loud (very loud above 40), marginal dry traction, poor wet traction........but this tire rocks off road.

For street driving, I have the Falken Rocky Mountain A/T. After 10K street driving it is quiet and smooth. The tires come with a 50K tread wear out warranty from Falken. Off road they are not Swampers but still do good. In soft sand and trail riding they worked good (A dry Creekside). One draw back, these tires stink. Literally they smell. If you park inside, roll your windows up at least for the first month. But for the price and wear warranty, these tires are hard to beat.
    Semper Fi

for rock crawling I have enjoyed the swampers... Ive used others like bf all terrains... no success, goodyear mt-r no success on the older ones before the kevlar
    I wheel with a buddy who has the kevlars and his have held up great to everything I went through so I guess those guys are a great option as well
    You gotta learn to walk before you can crawl!

92 XJ
    dana50 front locked
    dana60 rear locked
    5.13 gears
    cowl snorkel intake
    37 boggers
    best mod yet... God has given me permission to wheel!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast