Thread: Factory Air Box Modification?...

Icon1 Factory Air Box Modification?...

I have read here that some member's made some mod's to there factory air box's...I have a vent piece that belong's on a mazda truck..And the vent's will open and close..I am thinking about finding a place on my air box to install and i could control when to have it open or closed...But I am sceptical of would this help my motor run any better?...Would it really help the gas mileage any?....Thank's for your advice...Scott
    PVT. Tadpol XJ

prerunner1982 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Default Re: Factory Air Box Modification?...

If you could pipe in cool air from in front of the vehicle then yes it would help. I would have to see the vent you are referring to, but if you were able to run a hose low and just under the front bumper you could get some clean cool air. Then when you go off road and it is we out, you would close the vent and use the stock or higher intake system.
    1993 2 door 4x4 4.0 5 speed
    1997 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto RIP 6/6/2016
    2000 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto

Day of Dirt Adventure

I have seen guys take the factory airbox and cut a hole in the front of it then take screen, or mesh of some sort that will keep large debris out but allow more air to flow in. I dont like the mod i would rather just run a homemade cone filter set up which with filter can be done for like 20-50 bucks depending on filter.

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Cold air induction is what you are refering to Scott, it will improve performace a little but as for gas mileage, that depends on several factors other than just adding air to the fuel mix. You will probably see a little increase in fuel mileage just from the more efficient burn created by more O2 in the fuel mix the CAI will create but I doubt it would end up being signifcant, CAI is usually more for performance than economy. One thing to remember about low mounting of a cold air induction, there will be more trash down low so screens are a very good idea, also be ready to change/clean your air filter more often cause dust is also found down low. Most desert racers use snorkles just for that reason alone, nothing kills an engine faster than dirt getting into all those moving parts. All that said, I am familiar with the piece your talking about using and I think it is one of the better designs, if you could mount it somewhere close to the air box it would be pretty easy, give better air to the engine (power from a better burn) and if around the top of the radiator coils, a little cleaner air than say mounting it below the bumper or at the bottom of the radiator like most factory mounts.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

Arrow Re: Factory Air Box Modification?...

Thank's everybody.. lot's of good advice!!!!! I'll give thing's a lot thought....
    PVT. Tadpol XJ

Reverse vent back to the cowl, look at Mudderoy's snorkle or not to snorkle post......