Thread: Battery terminals?

Icon6 Battery terminals?

I need some direction on a issue I get every few month's with my battery post's...I have a new Battery and new Battery Post's.....But every few momth's I get in too start and all I get is a click....So I get out open the hood and loosen the Neg. side post move it around a little and tighten back down and everything is good for a little while?......Anybody?...
    PVT. Tadpol XJ

Default Re: Battery terminal's?...

By battery posts I guess you mean you replaced the terminals? When you did this, where the wires corroded? When I replaced mine, the whole wire (neg) to where it grounds on the engine were green on the outer strands. Also, check that NEG ground on the engine block. Take it all off, clean it till it's shiney.
    Last edited by XJEric; 02-06-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Arrow Re: Battery terminal's?...

Yes..I meant the terminal's....I replaced all these a year ago, and the old one's had been beat up and abused by some prev..owner...
    PVT. Tadpol XJ

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Default Re: Battery terminal's?...

When I have to replace a terminal, I just replace the whole cable with a heavier duty one. If you are having issues with corrosion, that's the best thing to do, keeps the problem from recurring and making you nuts. Also a good di-electric grease or plasti-coat (like for tool handles) brushed on over the cable end where it attaches to the terminal is a good way to keep corrosion from getting in there in the first place.
    Last edited by LizardRunner; 02-06-2012 at 07:05 PM.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

Default Re: Battery terminal's?

I agree. It is time for new cables, preferably heavier ones. As far as corrosion is concerned, there are some little pads that go underneath that can prevent corrosion. Make sure you get a battery terminal cleaner, a wire brush thing and clean even the new cables first. You can also get some stuff to coat the whole thing. I have some stuff called liquid electrical tape that you can paint on to seal the whole thing
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Arrow Re: Battery terminal's?

Tell me...What diffrence will the heavy duty cable's make?....
    PVT. Tadpol XJ

prerunner1982 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Default Re: Battery terminals?

Bigger cables have less power loss, the stock cables are marginal at best.

The next wiring upgrade would be the headlights. For similar reasons, less loss = brighter lights.
    1993 2 door 4x4 4.0 5 speed
    1997 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto RIP 6/6/2016
    2000 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto

Day of Dirt Adventure

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Yep bigger is better. They also don't get hot like smaller cables, starter spins better =faster starts, if you have a winch you definately want the biggest cables you can buy or build. The little pads steve mentioned are good for keeping the terminals corrosion free, the plasti-coat I mentioned is pretty much the same stuff as the liquid electrical tape, just comes in bigger quantities and in colors. Shiny terminals are good then once you put them together and tighten them down you can coat them but if you then have to take them apart, you get to start over. I usually use a di-electric grease for that part of the seal em up.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

Icon6 Re: Battery terminals?

Thank's everybody......Today I cleaned evrything and and made a better ground to the Neg side of Battery to the fender...Turned out excellent...Someday I need to do the change over to some Heavy Duty Cable's...
    PVT. Tadpol XJ

yup, you need better cables and make sure you use what proctection spray