Thread: D30 knuckles any one?

Default D30 knuckles any one?

I just bought a high pinion D30 with D44 30 chromoly axle shafts, 4.10 gears, an a ARB air locker. I'm looking into getting new steering knuckles an inner knuckles. I found Steering knuckles at justdiffs.com but no inners. It has high steer knuckles of a grand cherokee but I don't know if they will hold to the abuse of 38's, an constant wheeling because I go a lot. Can Any one help me out in finding any? Or do you think it will hold up as it is with out breaking?
    A year an a half ago if some one would have told me my jeep would take months to build, several thousands of dollars, never ever be done always be evolving, it will break an I will have to rebuild it time an time again, some times I will be broke for weeks because of it, I'll be taking the risk of rolling it an totaling it will out wheeling, an it will become more then a hobby I would have probably second guessed myself... but I'm glad no one told me all that...

Default Re: D30 knuckles any one?

You might want to contact Iron Man Andy. He was doing a D30/D44 hybrid. Basically he was welding D44 Cs on and using D44 knuckles. If you were doing that, using the ones with a spindle and hubs would give you an awesome combo that would stand up to what you have in mind. But I think that trying to make a unit bearing stand up to 38s is marginal at best. The D44 knuckles and spindles will take a real beating on a heavier rig and stand up to it nicely. Ask me how I know.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

...How do you know? You run 38's I presume?
    A year an a half ago if some one would have told me my jeep would take months to build, several thousands of dollars, never ever be done always be evolving, it will break an I will have to rebuild it time an time again, some times I will be broke for weeks because of it, I'll be taking the risk of rolling it an totaling it will out wheeling, an it will become more then a hobby I would have probably second guessed myself... but I'm glad no one told me all that...

Not currently. However the axle housing will give before old school knuckles and spindles. Bent a double tubed front D44 once. The crowd loved it. It hit hard enough to break the rotor in the distributor, the 12X15 wheel too. I am currently gathering parts for an upgrade to spindles and hubs myself, and some 38s to go with them.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Oh well I guess that would do it for sure!

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

knuckels and spindles hold up really well landing jumps too I have caught some good air time and rolled away in rigs with the old school K&S setup.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

Yup, that is how I bent my D44 front housing
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

So my mind has been churning all day about my jeep... I had off work if you haven't guessed lol.. I wonder if its possible to take some small D60 inner C's an put them on a D30 with D60 knuckles an truss the tube... A masterpiece or epic fail? Any other ideas?

Anything can be done with enough time and money. But I wouldn't do it with a D30. You would find it much easier to use D44 stuff. The dimensions are much closer.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Yea, that probably would be my best bet. I'm sure why I didn't think of D44 instead