Thread: Deer Hunting in Texas

Default Deer Hunting in Texas

I've always enjoyed hunting but frankly I only ever did it as a kid. I never could afford a decent rifle must less paying for a lease.

For several years now I have wanted a Remington 700 .308 rifle, and recently purchased one. One of the other things I have really enjoyed in the past is accurate shooting at targets far away hence the wish for an accurate yet affordable rifle.

I would like to take my new rifle out deer hunting, I doubt this year, but like most things it's fun to make modifications. I have been looking at scopes, stocks, detachable clips, etc...

I am concerned that in my "fun" modifying my rifle I may make it ineligible to be used as a deer hunting rifle in Texas.

I'm a real noob when it comes to any of this so ANY information you'd like to share about deer hunting will be great, especially about deer leases, best areas to hunt, in Texas.

Default Re: Deer Hunting in Texas

I suggest you start by contacting your local wildlife management agency and read the proclamation for hunting. We find these booklet everywhere they sell licences in Utah, maybe it is the same for you.
    They tell you what weapon is legal and all other rules pertaining to deer hunting.

and in Utah we need to pass an hunter education certificate (aka blue card). You may need one as well.
    "if yer not larnin sumptin new everday, check yer pulse."

Tony

I had a Browning .270 I used to use. The mods I made were simple. I retained the factory sights, which on the end of the barrel had a hood over it. It made a nice border around the target and kind of separated it from the rest of the field. Sighted in at 50 yards. Then I added a 3X scope on swing away mounts sighted in at 150 yards, which was the longest shot I expected to make in the OR rainforest.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

what you do to the rifle, scope wise will depend on what type of terrain you plan to be hunting in. Stock wise, for all weather use, a good glass or composite will be best, have the barrel glass bedded or free floated for accuracy. The .308 round is good for up to 1000 yards with a good 9x12 scope. If your in deep woods, a 4x scope would be all you need, if any, because your shots would be 100 yards or less most likely. If your plains hunting then set it up with a good long range scope maybe one with a rangefinder built in, a good all weather stock that fits you, a sling and a bipod. that will give you a nice weapon that can take just about any game you would want to hunt in texas. as far as leases go, find a club or just use one of the outfitters in texas that holds individual hunts. BTW, the hog hunting is great there, and about 300 per day. That might be cheeper for you than going lease or club lease. Oh, the M24 is issued in .308 and 30- 06 and used for shots up to 1800 meters. Leupold, Nikon are the usually prefered scopes and a good trigger job will make your shots more accurate. Here, (Arkansas) I use my Winchester 94 (30-30) with Iron sights because the woods are so thick a 60 yard shot is pretty long.
    Last edited by LizardRunner; 01-07-2012 at 09:18 PM.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

As far as I know as long as it's a semi automatic, center fired cartrage you can do anything you want to it. My son has used his AR15 that has a folding stock, laser scope and larger clip. He is in the process of building an other AR15 that will be accuret to 1000 yards. Alltho his weapon of choice for deer hunting is a 270
    Last edited by OrangeXJ; 01-08-2012 at 03:48 PM.
    91 Cherokee RC 4.5 long arm lift ECTED locker in the front Lock Rite locker in the rear Warn front and rear bumpers with 8000lb Warn winch sliders Skyjacker shocks and disconects exterior paint orange/black Rinoline. Roof rack with KC lights. SADLY GONE BUT WON'T BE FORGETEN But hay there is still a XJ in the family

97 TJ 6" Super Lift lift 2" body lift 37x13.5 tires front and rear OX lockers full roll cage custom made f/r bumpers and sliders made by AAE Customs 8000# Ramsey winch with Kevlar rope and a sound system that can make you ears bleed

91 Cherokee RC 4.5 long arm lift ECTED locker in the front Lock Rite locker in the rear Warn front and rear bumpers with 8000lb Warn winch sliders Skyjacker shocks and disconects exterior paint orange/black Rinoline. Roof rack with KC lights. SADLY GONE BUT WON'T BE FORGETEN But hay there is still a XJ in the family

97 TJ 6" Super Lift lift 2" body lift 37x13.5 tires front and rear OX lockers full roll cage custom made f/r bumpers and sliders made by AAE Customs 8000# Ramsey winch with Kevlar rope and a sound system that can make you ears bleed