Thread: Repairs on my leaking seals and shocks are going bad, need help please.

Default Repairs on my leaking seals and shocks are going bad, need help please.

I am replacing in and out seals on t/c.Purchased seals at Advance Auto. None of them are right. Also purchased a new ujoint, does not fit either. the first one I bought was too big and the second one is to small, to much play and causing vibration. That's why I was replacing it. Also tried replacing rear shocks and broke head off lower bolt. This thing is built into the mount and has no head on the other side. From the looks of it you have to replace the whole d@#& axle. I guess the only option other than that is cut the stud off and drill a hole through it and put a bolt in it. Need some suggestions please. Also, does anyone know where I can buy seals and a Ujoint that will fit. Advance Auto isn't the answer I've learned. Bad experience with them today. Only one of my shocks came in and all replacement parts suggested were WRONG. I hope Jeep still sells these parts, only option I can think of.
    Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

Default Re: repairs on my leaking seals and shocks are going bad, need help please.

It sounds like they might have given you parts for the wrong year, maybe the 97' and up. Try Napa they tend to have better parts anyway. As far as the lower shock bolts you might want to have someone try blowing them out with a cutting torch after the shocks are off. If you have enough of the bolt sticking out you can try heating it with the cutting torch first and getting a pair of vice grips on it but it still might not be enough to break it free. I usually use an impact and maybe a little heat from a propane torch for shock bolts. Have you got the top ones of yet? Those are usually a pain. Most people usually cut access holes in the rear floor and patch them up when they're done.

Default Re: repairs on my leaking seals and shocks are going bad, need help please.

Thanks for the reply seu83, Looks like you are pretty new on here too. Sounds like you have some experience with them. I am completely green with these Jeeps and I guess some of my request may be kinda dull to some of the ole timers on here. I am not the one doing the repairs, I have it at a Chevy Dealership. I have some friends there and that's why it's at Chevy. Unfortunately they know GM. the repairs look extremely simply
    and I didn't think we would have much problem.

I do have the rear shocks off. The top nuts were very easy get off to . One of the bottom ones however, the nut snapped right off. I am not sure if I follow you on the vise grip deal. There is plenty of bolt sticking out of the mount. it just looks like it does not come out. The bolt/stud comes through the mount, but on the backside of the mount, opposite of where I broke the nut off. It is encased in the mount. The mount is welded to the frame. Bad looking design to me. Are you saying that you came work that bolt/stud out of that mount?

Regarding the input output seals, I guess it could be possible that whoever had it before me could of perhaps put a new/ older model T/C in it?

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Which TC do you have? 231 or 242? If it only has 2H 4H 4L then it's a 231 the parttime unit. I think the seals are different for each model of TC. If you have an automatic tranny, you probably have the 242. For local parts I always start with NAPA then O'Reilly if these too do not have them and can't get them then I go to A-1, one of our vendors here.
    Last edited by LizardRunner; 12-29-2011 at 08:36 AM.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

Hey Lizard, sorry about the loss of your friend yesterday.
    It is an AT and Has 2H, 4H, 4L and is part time. I am not sure on which T/C I have.
    also, what do you recommend me doing about breaking the nut off of the lower bolt on the rear shock? The stud is still there. It broke off at the threads. Shock is off.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by willpoot; 12-29-2011 at 08:58 AM.

Default Re: Repairs on my leaking seals and shocks are going bad, need help please.

I haven't done shocks on the XJ in awhile. I thought the nut was welded to the shock mount and bolt is what you unbolt and remove. I'll have to pull a tire and look. I could be getting the wj and xj confused.