Thread: Repairs on my leaking seals and shocks are going bad, need help please.

Default Repairs on my leaking seals and shocks are going bad, need help please.

I am replacing in and out seals on t/c.Purchased seals at Advance Auto. None of them are right. Also purchased a new ujoint, does not fit either. the first one I bought was too big and the second one is to small, to much play and causing vibration. That's why I was replacing it. Also tried replacing rear shocks and broke head off lower bolt. This thing is built into the mount and has no head on the other side. From the looks of it you have to replace the whole d@#& axle. I guess the only option other than that is cut the stud off and drill a hole through it and put a bolt in it. Need some suggestions please. Also, does anyone know where I can buy seals and a Ujoint that will fit. Advance Auto isn't the answer I've learned. Bad experience with them today. Only one of my shocks came in and all replacement parts suggested were WRONG. I hope Jeep still sells these parts, only option I can think of.
    Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

Default Re: repairs on my leaking seals and shocks are going bad, need help please.

Will, the u joints are the Spicer 1310. Try a NAPA store for those, they should get them right. When you go for your tcase seals, make sure you give them the number located on a tag at the back of it kind of in the center. There should be a number on it, such as 231J or 242. Also the low range ratio is on there of 271. The best way to fix the stud issue is to remove it and substitute an upper stud mount from a front shock from a C or K series Chevy Pickup. You will have to remove the stud and drill a hole. The new stud has a nut on the back of it. If you cannot find one at a wrecking yard off a pickup, then I can give you a monroe part # for a new one.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Default Re: repairs on my leaking seals and shocks are going bad, need help please.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice on this. I did get the right seals, and u joint. I have a 231 T/C. It got rid of most of the vibration. I think the remaining vibration is tire. I just put on some 30" Falcan Rocky Mounts. Good looking tire and a great price. I drilled out the rear lower shock mount with a 5/8 bit. Added a 5/8x4" grade 8 bolt and nut and it worked perfect. Put the Rancho 5000 shocks on. Probably a little to lite duty, but I have not lifted it yet so they should work fine for now. Don't have to worry about breaking nut off again, at least on the lower mounts. Next project will be lifting it. But putting it off for a little while. Thanks again and Happy New Year to everyone!