Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chats

Default Mt. Antero, Colorado day run

Ok, I've had my XJ since late October and this was my first chance to take it on the trail (except for driving through the winter blizzards). I know, I know it's sad but I've got a few more trips planned for this summer yet. Anyway, Mt. Antero is near the Collegiate range just southeast of the ghost town of St. Elmo. It's know for semi-precious gemstones like aquamarine. My friend knows someone who got 5,000 for one he found. His two grandsons found one on this trip that was about 1.5" long! The Jeep did fine, but was a little rough. I didn't disconnect the swaybar and now my back is thrown out! It tossed me side to side pretty badly. I didn't even have swaybars on my CJ and am still learning this whole coil spring thang...
    Attempt at HDR photo:

Pano of Mt. Antero's peak (14,269 feet above sea level)

On the way up at about 12,500 ft.

This stock Grand Cherokee did great on street tires (traction control, 5 speep auto, yada, yada...)

Flowers were eveywhere! The higher in elevation, the smaller they were

Fresh mountain goat tracks

Chalk Creek along the road to St. Elmo. I saw nice trout swimmy around in there.

It got chilly enough Friday night to see our breath and caused lots of condensation in the tents. Day time temps at the peak were great! Probably in the 70's.
    In the next two months I'll be doing the Miner's Loop (Hancock Pass, Tin Cup), Medano Pass to the Great Sand Dunes, Alpine Loop (trails around Ouray, and Silverton), Wheeler Lake, and maybe one more. Check out www.traildamage.com for interesting reading on these trails.
    Last edited by mizedog; 07-13-2009 at 01:41 PM.
    2001 XJ, D30,8.25 4.56s,rear ARB, Rusty's 4.5", 33x12.50 BFG KM2s (siped!), Rusty's t-bar, SYE, CV,Rancho 9000s,JKS Super Nerfs, Logan's winch bumper w/ Smitty XRC8 winch,Garmin Legend GPS,

queenb2850 Guest

Default Breathtaking

Kurt,
    Wow! These pics are beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing them with me. I am looking forward to seeing your next trips. Have fun, be safe and disconnect next trip!! Hee Hee
    Blessings
    Nancy J

Chats

Very nice. Great shots. This is one of the reasons I enjoy forums so much, you get to see things you wouldn't normally be able to see.

Chats

Absolutely gorgeous pictures!!!

Chats

nice pics!
    i live next to the franklin mountains but they're not nearly as nice as the ones in colorado
    '94 XJ Country
    4.5" Rough Country lift
    31x10.50x15 BFGoodrich M/T's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Hatchetman017

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Dogg Rydas View Post
    nice pics!
    i live next to the franklin mountains but they're not nearly as nice as the ones in colorado
    Come up! There's plenty of room for ya. Just remember to bring some of that good BBQ!
    2001 XJ, D30,8.25 4.56s,rear ARB, Rusty's 4.5", 33x12.50 BFG KM2s (siped!), Rusty's t-bar, SYE, CV,Rancho 9000s,JKS Super Nerfs, Logan's winch bumper w/ Smitty XRC8 winch,Garmin Legend GPS,

Chats

Extremely nice pics.

Chats

I wish the only reason I've been up there was to pick up my daughter, and i only made it to trinidad and back. long trips like those are just not in my budget right now
    '94 XJ Country
    4.5" Rough Country lift
    31x10.50x15 BFGoodrich M/T's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Hatchetman017

queenb2850 Guest

Jeef and I will be there to see you some day. Hopefully in the near future. )

Chats

Awesome place to be and camp....Great pics there mizedog....You and yours are blessed to have sites like that near by....Thanks for sharing......Bob....
    1996 XJ Sport-RE 4.5" & Daystar BB netting about 6"s..Adjustable Upper & lower control arms..HD adjustable track bar...RE Mono shocks...Mojave teflon rims w/BFG 32x11.50 KM2s...RR SYE & CV shaft combo...Treck's steering frame brace and M.O.R.E. Brace...Kargo master roof rack w/home brew light mount...Home brew snorkel w/K&N filter...Yaesu 857 & Galaxy DX99V CB radios...DeTours Backbone and Tailbone system...8000 lb winch....

Chats

Nice shots!! I've ran just about every other trail up there but that one, looks like I need to get to it!!

Chats

Man I got to go there someday!!

Chats

looks great. i want to move to co so bad but i have to convince my wife looks like fun
    01, Tera Flex 6" long arm kit, jks quick disco's,jks bar pin eliminators, Fox 2.0 shocks I won for 5 bucks, Tom woods Sye with rear drive shaft, Tera flex rear disc brakes, custom front bumper, customer rear bumper, rage roof rack. H4 head lights, k&n intake and cone, black steelies with 285x75x16 retreads, metal gas skid. Finally I have a nice jeep no more pos.
    .,=====o00
    //___l__,\____\,___
    l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

Chats

I have always wanted to go there, maybe one day I will get to.
    "ACK!" Bill the Cat

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by allwaysxj View Post
    looks great. i want to move to co so bad but i have to convince my wife looks like fun
    It's possible! I got my wife to move from California to Colorado and she had lived in Riverside her whole life! Cleaner air, safer roads, neighborhoods, shools, more relaxed atmosphere, the kids are not only allowed to but encouraged to say the Pledge Of Allegiance in school, and we actually get seasons. She loves it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast