Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hyrum, Utah
    Posts
    2,031
    Chats
    113

    Default Re: The jeep that keeps holding back...

    Quote Originally Posted by steph74 View Post
    PS. Do I have to order a pizza to get to see you and talk jeep ? lol
    No Steph we still need to have a beer or two. I don't work all that much now that the wife got a new job. just let me know when and where or we can go shoot when i get some shells.
    01, Tera Flex 6" long arm kit, jks quick disco's,jks bar pin eliminators, Fox 2.0 shocks I won for 5 bucks, Tom woods Sye with rear drive shaft, Tera flex rear disc brakes, custom front bumper, customer rear bumper, rage roof rack. H4 head lights, k&n intake and cone, black steelies with 285x75x16 retreads, metal gas skid. Finally I have a nice jeep no more pos.
    .,=====o00
    //___l__,\____\,___
    l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hyrum, Utah
    Posts
    2,031
    Chats
    113

    Default Re: The jeep that keeps holding back...

    Quote Originally Posted by cantab27 View Post
    is the problem there straight away...of after you have driven it for a bit....
    seems worse in the cold mornings, also don't know if this is related but lately my belt and pulley have been squealling like crazy in the morning or when I start the jeep when it has been sitting.
    01, Tera Flex 6" long arm kit, jks quick disco's,jks bar pin eliminators, Fox 2.0 shocks I won for 5 bucks, Tom woods Sye with rear drive shaft, Tera flex rear disc brakes, custom front bumper, customer rear bumper, rage roof rack. H4 head lights, k&n intake and cone, black steelies with 285x75x16 retreads, metal gas skid. Finally I have a nice jeep no more pos.
    .,=====o00
    //___l__,\____\,___
    l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

  3. #18
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New Caney, TX
    Posts
    3,582
    Chats
    22489

    Default

    As mentioned checking for a clogged cat would be a good idea too. It could slow you down that fast if it was clogged. It would be acting as an exhaust brake.

    Sent from my VM670

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    27,279
    Chats
    30792

    Default Re: The jeep that keeps holding back...

    Quote Originally Posted by bigjim350 View Post
    As mentioned checking for a clogged cat would be a good idea too. It could slow you down that fast if it was clogged. It would be acting as an exhaust brake.

    Sent from my VM670
    How would you know?

  5. #20
    prerunner1982's Avatar
    prerunner1982 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Edmond, OK
    Posts
    5,008
    Chats
    23556

    Default Re: The jeep that keeps holding back...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
    To rule out the drive train do the same coasting experiment, but this time put the transmission in neutral.

    Also check to see if you have one wheel (or more) that are much hotter than the others.
    I was thinking this as well. My first thought if it wasn't the brakes that it was something in the trans. Almost like the torque converter was not releasing, or staying locked up.

    Is it like when driving a manual trans and you let off the gas without pushing the clutch?

    I have also had a brake dragging and boy you can definitely tell which one it is. I didn't have to get that close to it to feel the heat radiating off of it.
    1993 2 door 4x4 4.0 5 speed
    1997 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto RIP 6/6/2016
    2000 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto


    Day of Dirt Adventure

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hyrum, Utah
    Posts
    2,031
    Chats
    113

    Default Re: The jeep that keeps holding back...

    Quote Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
    Is it like when driving a manual trans and you let off the gas without pushing the clutch?
    Yes john that is exactly how it feels...

    so I did some testing today on the way home from work.
    I would like to see if anyone can do this same thing and report back to me to compare.
    so I got the jeep up to 55MPH with it in drive and reset my trip to zero just as I let off. The jeep coasted for .4 of a mile to get down to 20 MPH (I had a car behind me or I would of kept going)

    Test # two, Tony mentioned if it was a difference if the tranny was in neutral and I let off.
    so same thing got up to 55 MPH and reset the trip. now this is where I am stumped ( I love the spong bob)
    when I let off it took .2 of a mile to get down to 20 MPH in neutral.

    I am not sure what is going on with it. I can touch the hole rime on all four tires and they are cold not hot at all so i don't think it is a brake issue.

    they keep saying it could be a clogged cat how do I check this?
    thanks.
    Last edited by alwaysxj; 12-08-2011 at 06:29 PM.
    01, Tera Flex 6" long arm kit, jks quick disco's,jks bar pin eliminators, Fox 2.0 shocks I won for 5 bucks, Tom woods Sye with rear drive shaft, Tera flex rear disc brakes, custom front bumper, customer rear bumper, rage roof rack. H4 head lights, k&n intake and cone, black steelies with 285x75x16 retreads, metal gas skid. Finally I have a nice jeep no more pos.
    .,=====o00
    //___l__,\____\,___
    l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

  7. #22
    prerunner1982's Avatar
    prerunner1982 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Edmond, OK
    Posts
    5,008
    Chats
    23556

    Default Re: The jeep that keeps holding back...

    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysxj View Post
    Yes john that is exactly how it feels...

    so I did some testing today on the way home from work.
    I would like to see if anyone can do this same thing and report back to me to compare.
    so I got the jeep up to 55MPH with it in drive and reset my trip to zero just as I let off. The jeep coasted for .4 of a mile to get down to 20 MPH (I had a car behind me or I would of kept going)

    Test # two, Tony mentioned if it was a difference if the tranny was in neutral and I let off.
    so same thing got up to 55 MPH and reset the trip. now this is where I am stumped ( I love the spong bob)
    when I let off it took .2 of a mile to get down to 20 MPH in neutral.

    I am not sure what is going on with it. I can touch the hole rime on all four tires and they are cold not hot at all so i don't think it is a brake issue.

    they keep saying it could be a clogged cat how do I check this?
    thanks.
    Hmm.. the trans in gear takes longer to slow than the trans out of gear...

    As far as the clogged cat.. if the trans is not in gear any restriction on the cat converter or engine would/should not have any effect on the speed/deceleration of the vehicle... since they are no longer engaged.

    If I can remember.. I will try the deceleration test on the way home tonight. Granted I have a manual trans, but in Neutral it should not matter what type of trans, right?
    Last edited by prerunner1982; 12-08-2011 at 06:39 PM.
    1993 2 door 4x4 4.0 5 speed
    1997 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto RIP 6/6/2016
    2000 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto


    Day of Dirt Adventure

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hyrum, Utah
    Posts
    2,031
    Chats
    113

    Default Re: The jeep that keeps holding back...

    Thanks john
    01, Tera Flex 6" long arm kit, jks quick disco's,jks bar pin eliminators, Fox 2.0 shocks I won for 5 bucks, Tom woods Sye with rear drive shaft, Tera flex rear disc brakes, custom front bumper, customer rear bumper, rage roof rack. H4 head lights, k&n intake and cone, black steelies with 285x75x16 retreads, metal gas skid. Finally I have a nice jeep no more pos.
    .,=====o00
    //___l__,\____\,___
    l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    29,703
    Chats
    1838

    Default Re: The jeep that keeps holding back...

    Quote Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
    I was thinking this as well. My first thought if it wasn't the brakes that it was something in the trans. Almost like the torque converter was not releasing, or staying locked up.

    Is it like when driving a manual trans and you let off the gas without pushing the clutch?

    I have also had a brake dragging and boy you can definitely tell which one it is. I didn't have to get that close to it to feel the heat radiating off of it.
    Nearly a half mile to slow 35 mph is not dragging. The difference you are seeing when in gear is due to the engine at idle pushing the Jeep. I really don't think there is anything wrong with the drive train or brakes.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hyrum, Utah
    Posts
    2,031
    Chats
    113

    Default Re: The jeep that keeps holding back...

    Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    Nearly a half mile to slow 35 mph is not dragging. The difference you are seeing when in gear is due to the engine at idle pushing the Jeep. I really don't think there is anything wrong with the drive train or brakes.
    Maybe I just have not noticed it then, but it still seams weird to me. I would like to see if someone with a auto could do the test to see if there is a difference.
    01, Tera Flex 6" long arm kit, jks quick disco's,jks bar pin eliminators, Fox 2.0 shocks I won for 5 bucks, Tom woods Sye with rear drive shaft, Tera flex rear disc brakes, custom front bumper, customer rear bumper, rage roof rack. H4 head lights, k&n intake and cone, black steelies with 285x75x16 retreads, metal gas skid. Finally I have a nice jeep no more pos.
    .,=====o00
    //___l__,\____\,___
    l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

  11. #26
    prerunner1982's Avatar
    prerunner1982 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Edmond, OK
    Posts
    5,008
    Chats
    23556

    Default Re: The jeep that keeps holding back...

    Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    Nearly a half mile to slow 35 mph is not dragging. The difference you are seeing when in gear is due to the engine at idle pushing the Jeep. I really don't think there is anything wrong with the drive train or brakes.
    I know in a manual that is the case, but his is an auto there should not be as much "engine braking" on an auto.... from my experience.

    And now that you say it, you are right that 35mpg in almost 1/2 mile does not seem bad... however out of gear he dropped 35mph in .2 miles. Why when no engine braking the XJ stops quicker?
    Last edited by prerunner1982; 12-08-2011 at 07:03 PM.
    1993 2 door 4x4 4.0 5 speed
    1997 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto RIP 6/6/2016
    2000 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto


    Day of Dirt Adventure

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    29,703
    Chats
    1838

    Default Re: The jeep that keeps holding back...

    Quote Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
    I know in a manual that is the case, but his is an auto there should not be as much "engine braking" on an auto.... from my experience.

    And now that you say it, you are right that 35mpg in almost 1/2 mile does not seem bad... however out of gear he dropped 35mph in .2 miles. Why when no engine braking the XJ stops quicker?
    An auto, particularly late model ones will push a vehicle by staying in gear at idle. You don't notice it, but it does happen and this little test is proof of it. It doesn't operate the same as a standard tranny
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    S.E. Texas
    Posts
    29,251
    Chats
    1247

    Default Re: The jeep that keeps holding back...

    Because the engine is still pushing even with no throttle being applied, think about when your idling in gear with no brakes. The vehicle moves just not fast because there's not many rpm's. And when its in neutral you don't have that idling power pushing.



    Edit: looks like you beat me Steve.
    Last edited by XJ Wheeler; 12-08-2011 at 07:27 PM.

  14. #29
    prerunner1982's Avatar
    prerunner1982 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Edmond, OK
    Posts
    5,008
    Chats
    23556

    Default Re: The jeep that keeps holding back...

    Well then my data is pointless...

    In neutral 55-20 in .6 miles.
    In gear 50-25 in .3 miles. Could not get to 55 due to speed limit..and had to pull out at 25 to keep engine from dying.
    1993 2 door 4x4 4.0 5 speed
    1997 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto RIP 6/6/2016
    2000 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto


    Day of Dirt Adventure

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hyrum, Utah
    Posts
    2,031
    Chats
    113

    Default Re: The jeep that keeps holding back...

    I guess I just never noticed it slow me down that much.
    now I need to get some o2 sensors to see how my gas mileage improves.
    01, Tera Flex 6" long arm kit, jks quick disco's,jks bar pin eliminators, Fox 2.0 shocks I won for 5 bucks, Tom woods Sye with rear drive shaft, Tera flex rear disc brakes, custom front bumper, customer rear bumper, rage roof rack. H4 head lights, k&n intake and cone, black steelies with 285x75x16 retreads, metal gas skid. Finally I have a nice jeep no more pos.
    .,=====o00
    //___l__,\____\,___
    l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Im back!!!!!!
    By kmanxj in forum General Talk
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-15-2011, 10:52 PM
  2. the back of the xj
    By rguignard in forum Modified
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 07:26 AM
  3. back up
    By rguignard in forum General Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-21-2010, 09:43 AM
  4. im back with pic's
    By bassackwards in forum General Talk
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-24-2009, 07:20 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •