Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remington 700

Chats

Default Remington 700

Well I guess a rifle would be considered tech, albeit low tech.

So do we have any knowledgeable Remington 700 folks out there? I've been wanting one for years and finally picked one up this past week.

I knew you could spend a LOT on a scope, but little did I know what a lot was. I thought 350 was a lot for a scope, yes I know I'm a noob.

I think I have a good base, Remington 700 Varmint, bull barrel, .308.

I was going to change the stock, but holly crap all the ones I like are 700, one was 850 and I couldn't tell if it helped, or hurt the overall accuracy of the gun!

I can get a nice locker for 850, yes I know but I can't pop zombie heads at 1,000 meters with a locker.

The purpose of the gun is just fun to shoot, and I would like to use it to deer hunt on occasion.

Maybe I should concentrate on a decent stock and a moderate scope. I doubt any deer kills would be longer than 200 yards. Maybe we have some deer hunters on here that can clue me in.

Chats

Default Re: Remington 700

This is one that caught my eye...

MDT TAC-21

Here is the actual TAC-21, the butt and the pistol grip are standard AR-15...

Chats

I have a Rem 700 in 30;06 with a composite stock and a Leopold (sp) 3x9 scope. Longest shot that took a deer was 120 yds.
    Hey bubba get your hand off my ass,

Some days it is just not worth it to gnaw through the leather restraints.

R.I.P. Brian 96_XJ Perrine 1990-2011

Chats

I carried around a bull barreled .243 deer hunting when I was in the service. It was tough back then! My last deer rifle was a Ruger M77-UL, in .308. It kicked real good, but on the bright side it weighed 6-1/4 pounds. Carried real nice.

What you have is not a woods rifle. There are lots of places here in Texas you can make a long shot. Put a good scope on it, get a few brands of ammo (assuming you do not reload), and see what that rifle likes. You should be able to touch three rounds at 100 yards. Sounds tough? Those rounds are going to be far apart by the time they are 300 yards down range.

Oh yeah, that bull barrelled .243, it is a Ruger M77 (I like the Rugers). It is still in my gun safe. I got it new in 1974. Bull barreled rifles shoot good, but they are not carry rifles.
    Semper Fi

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Rat View Post
    I carried around a bull barreled .243 deer hunting when I was in the service. It was tough back then! My last deer rifle was a Ruger M77-UL, in .308. It kicked real good, but on the bright side it weighed 6-1/4 pounds. Carried real nice.

What you have is not a woods rifle. There are lots of places here in Texas you can make a long shot. Put a good scope on it, get a few brands of ammo (assuming you do not reload), and see what that rifle likes. You should be able to touch three rounds at 100 yards. Sounds tough? Those rounds are going to be far apart by the time they are 300 yards down range.

Oh yeah, that bull barrelled .243, it is a Ruger M77 (I like the Rugers). It is still in my gun safe. I got it new in 1974. Bull barreled rifles shoot good, but they are not carry rifles.
    Yeah my understanding is the bull barrel being thicker can withstand more repeated firings without starting to deform, hence maintains accuracy shot after shot.

Chats

Personally I wouldnt get a bull barrel on a hunting rifle. I see them more for a competition gun, the centimeters of accuracy you would gain just wouldn't matter as much in the field. If it were me I'd just use the money I was going to spend on a bull barrel on practice ammo and a slightly better scope than intended. BTW excellent choice and I want one someday.

Chats

dont know anything about remington but savage is what i shoot
    check out this you can find these on sportsmanguide.com i think they are like 160 something this is what i use and i love them
    http://www.osprey-optics.com/scopes/...fle-scope.html
    _______.___.
    //__l____,\___\,____
    l_--_\____l----[]\\\\\[]

_(o)_)____(o)_)--o)_)
    1990 xj sport
    i6 4x4

K-SKI

100% made

Chats

Well I ordered an inexpensive scope and mounts. At least I'll be able to use the rifle. This will give me plenty of time to research and see what direction I want to go with it.

I ordered 1,000 rounds of Wolf .308 from Cabelas(sp?) for 369, but they canceled the order since they were out and no longer able to get that ammo. It's good since I really didn't want to spend that much, but I did like the idea of the ammo costing 37 cents a round. Compare that to the other stuff that is over 1 a round!

Well at least the gun safe looks a little more full! lol

Chats

order a couple boxes of various brands/types of ammo to find the one your gun likes best. Check out www.sportsmansguide.com they have decent prices and always fast shipping.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Joliet Johnny View Post
    order a couple boxes of various brands/types of ammo to find the one your gun likes best.
    ^X2

I don't think you'd get the consistency you'd want with 1000 rds of Wolf. Put Wolf in your AK, not your purty 700.
    2000 XJ Build Thread
    Clayton 6.5" LA / 33x10.50 BFG ATs / AA SYE / H4 upgrade / D30 & C8.25 w 3.55
    Dad's 1999 XJ daily driver
    Stock/Stock/Stock/Stock/Stock

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Sneedle Vision View Post
    ^X2

I don't think you'd get the consistency you'd want with 1000 rds of Wolf. Put Wolf in your AK, not your purty 700.
    Well from the reviews I was reading it was 1/4 inch at 100 yards (if I'm remembering correctly) so for just getting used to the rifle and having a LOT of extra ammo I think it was worth the price.

I bought 500 rounds of 7.62x39mm Wolf ammo for my AK, and it was nice stuff for the price.

Chats

I had to drop my oldest daughter off at work (at the mall) Friday night so I stopped in at Bass Pro Shop and picked up some .308 win ammo.

First off DAMN it's expensive, but all of it was, second off .308 isn't a very popular round at least based on the searching I had to do to find it.

I know I know 30-06 is more common, but I knew what I wanted when I bought the gun.

So if you're keeping score at home, I now have a rifle, a scope, bullets (only 20) and no way to mount the scope to the rifle! I'm still waiting on the scope mount to show up.

The plus side is I should have a fully functional weapon though, even if it isn't sighted in. I guess I should order a bore sight laser for it, and resume my search for some cheap ammo. You know fun ammo, I'll save the expensive stuff for the important non paper targets.

Chats

I don't know if you've checked out The Armory yet or not, but I got 1000rds of 9mm and 1000rds of 5.56 for 400 when they were having a sale.

So I'm sure they've got somewhat decent prices on .308.

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_s...mmunition.html
    2000 XJ Build Thread
    Clayton 6.5" LA / 33x10.50 BFG ATs / AA SYE / H4 upgrade / D30 & C8.25 w 3.55
    Dad's 1999 XJ daily driver
    Stock/Stock/Stock/Stock/Stock

Chats

We use the heavy barreled guns out here in Wyo. for hunting coyote's all the time. My uncle has a Remington 700 in a .204 caliber with a heavy barrel. He has taken yotes out to 500 yards with it. But I think we have to take much farther shots here.

Weldmen is offline MEMBER OF THE GREEN JEEPS
    Chats

Try this one out Tony...
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ft2j6J4NcY&feature=endscreen&NR=1[/ame]

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast