Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roof rack build

Default Re: roof rack build

Yeah I am thinking if you run 4 of the factory bars, you should be fine.. I have been thinking about doing this as well when I do my roof rack, as I will only be putting the tire, and maybe a shovel,axe and hi-lift up there.. But most likely will put the highlift in the Jeep so that it doesn't get rusty or get gone!!
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

I'm going with 4 factory bars also the one i built and my roof I know will support at least 300 lbs bec I I've been up there a lot

Yes runing 4 bars will be fine I know with 2 the rack I built and roof will hold at least 300 lbs over been up there a lot lol

Default Re: Roof rack build

My roof rack is rated at 200 lbs max. It can prob hold more but its just the safety limit the company put on it. I mean having too much weight up there would make you top heavy around turns anyways. Here are the pics after I rhino-lined it. Also used grade 8 hardware to put it back together, its the strongest and rust proof bolts out there !

Hey Ryan, what rack is that?? I like the design and mounting of that bad boy.. not to mention the light tabs..
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Hey James, I got it 7-8 years ago from Performance Products magazine for Jeeps. I think they went out of business or turned into Quadratec. The manufacturer of the roof rack was Daystar 4Real steel products, but they dont make them anymore. It sux, I know. When I took it apart to wire brush and sand the rust, I didnt pay attention to how it was setup so before putting it on I checked all over the internet and even called the company to see if I could get installation instructions and couldnt get them either. If you want I can spec it out for you with exact measurements but it might take a while. I love it though thats why I re-painted it with 5 coats of rhino-lining. Hopefully it doesnt rust ever again !!! Let me know.

Yeah I was actually kind of figuring it was their product.. They have had a few products I've seen over the years that I would love to pick up, but they are no longer in business.. OH well.. thanks anyways.. I'll just keep my eyes open for one for sale used..

No Problem, I think that Wilderness puts out a rack that is similar if you check their website.

Yeah I've been looking at that one as it was a close look to the one like you have.. but am looking at possibly picking up a Surco rack..

If anyone needs more crossbars for their stock roof racks I have a couple of "pick a part" yards close by with a lot of XJ's. I buy them whenever I find them (racks). Presently I have 4 "later" (A shaped, button in middle, not knob) crossbars from a '94 that I would sell reasonably as long as the freight didn't cost to much. I think 2 of them are chrome and 2 black. Also have the runners, if you have an XJ without a stock rack I can set you up! Got a set (4) of 15" Jeep stock "5 spoke" aluminum wheels in pretty good shape I'd like to get rid of too. I'm in Idaho, call or text me @ (208)989-3739. Can send pictures. Leave a message as I don't respond to out of state calls. Thanks, Jim

Might have to get up with you depending on what I find in our local yards after I get back stateside... I did pick up the Surco rack I mentioned looking at above... just need to remove some decals and sand and repaint it... then get two more crossbars for my stock rack to use as support and mounting..

Dig the rack, like the snorkel. Is that 2" and how good does it work as far as getting air?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12