Thread: Cold air rain plug

Default Cold air rain plug

On my quest for more power any & évéryway I can. I modified the factory cold air rain plug in front of the factory air box. I have K&N but it still sits in same place(for now anyhow). The plug in the radiator support is very restrictive. It blocks the whole opening & only has a 1/2" slit on the edge. I unbolted it, got some couple inch long bolts with couple nuts, washers & 2 wingnuts. now I'm running without out it & if need be I can quickly n easily slide it back in place n wingnut it back on if I'm worried bout blasting down the interstate in a heavy rainstorm. Also by have the bolts already in place & extra nuts I could space it out as far as the bolt length will allow. So I basically went from the little 1/2" on one slide to up to 2" opening all the way around the plug. Or removing the plug completely to get full use of the 4-5" square opening. I've been planning a baffle/duct for the far right slot of the grill so all the air coming in this slot is routed through the cold air intake hole.

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Default Re: cold air rain plug

Interesting solution. This wouldn't work for me since I sometimes am running across streams/rivers. I plan to add a snorkel which is the best method for me since I run in lots of dust/wet enviroments most of the time. The high intake of the snorkel will mean less dust/water getting to the filter and then into the engine intake.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

Won't be affected by streams or rivers as it sits higher than your bumper. If waters high enough to come in the removed rain plug then it'll rush over the sides of the unibody also. So no difference there. You'll still have to watch your bumper/water depth just like you do now. On same note I've seen many a jeep cross water that was headlight & hood deep with factory air box without a problem.

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

yes but Wayne and I tend to take the jeeps floating It's just a matter of practicality for me to go with a snorkel. I'm not saying your idea doesn't work well at all. I like that mod but for me it would not work as well. I'm just saying, in my case
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

That's cool. I don't understand why you don't think it would be practical for you. If your making it through something without a snorkel you can make it through without the plug. & even with a snorkel its that much more air being rammed in your engine compartment, plus its cold air not heated that's been through your radiator.