Thread: First TJ

Default First TJ

Hey there folks, after getting my first XJ a couple weeks ago we picked up a 99' TJ for the wife. It has a teralfex 4" system already installed but I have noticed the strangest thing... When you accelerate the back end rides up and to the right, and when you let off the throttle it settles back down. It's bad enough I have been letting the wife drive my XJ while I drive and diagnose her TJ. But I'm stumped. Any ideas? It seems like axle wrap or maybe a track bar that is out of whack.

Default Re: First TJ

Sounds like the rear trackbar. Did they put on a rear adjustable track bar or drop bracket, or nothing?

Erm... Adjustable but it does not appear to have a drop bracket. After closer inspection it looks like a swap meet hodge podge lift made up of teraflex, pro comp and god knows what else. Guess I shoulda looked a little closer but the price was too perfect Its super clean, has a Dana 44 out back, low miles and the wife just had to have it( most important feature) I will look harder when I can get it up on the rack at work and see what else I can see... Or not

sounds like it could be either bad track bar bushings, or bad control arm bushings. By any chance does it have a rear lunchbox type locker in it? They make tj's do strange things cause of the short wheelbase.

It does not have a locker, but it is running 4:56's and 33's. I will check the bushings and track bar mounts. Sorry for the silly back and forth. I'm new to jeeps in general and esspecially green with the TJ. It is rather annoying and it bothers me enough I won't let the wife drive it until I get it fixed. Freeway on ramps are... Umm... Eventful.

Nothing silly about asking good questions. The good thing is with it being that bad, whatever the problem is should be obvious

It is the way the rear links are set up. They are creating what is called antisquat. You will have to live with it, or count your blessings when hill climbing when it will squat very little. You will have to change out the rear suspension to get rid of it.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff