Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chats

Smile Running hot after replacing water pump and thermostat!

problem: last week i changed w/p & t'stat just for preventative maintenence. before this i did NOT have one cooling problem.. jeep ran 180-195 tops. now it runs 225-230 constant.(morning or night) the gauge doesnt fluctuate either. ive tried to burp air as much as possible ive changed w/p and t'stat twice incase new parts were defective with same result. w/p is reverse rotation as required. t'stat is 195. just got a new rad cap but havent installed yet. also when it gets to 230-235 (does not overheat) turn heater on but it doesnt do anything to the temp at all. hot air comes out the blower in car and electric fan comes on. not even highway driving cools it off it just runs the same temp. street or freeway. am i missing something here??any help is appreciated!!

Chats

Default Re: overheating after new w/p & t'stat!!

Quote Originally Posted by rm2406 View Post
    problem: last week i changed w/p & t'stat just for preventative maintenence. before this i did NOT have one cooling problem.. jeep ran 180-195 tops. now it runs 225-230 constant.(morning or night) the gauge doesnt fluctuate either. ive tried to burp air as much as possible ive changed w/p and t'stat twice incase new parts were defective with same result. w/p is reverse rotation as required. t'stat is 195. just got a new rad cap but havent installed yet. also when it gets to 230-235 (does not overheat) turn heater on but it doesnt do anything to the temp at all. hot air comes out the blower in car and electric fan comes on. not even highway driving cools it off it just runs the same temp. street or freeway. am i missing something here??any help is appreciated!!
    It doesn't make any sense, with the exception of air in the system or a failure has occurred at the same time. Since you have changed the parts twice I would suspect the radiator, but that's just a guess.

prerunner1982 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Default Re: Welcome rm2406!!!

My experience with air in the system is that the temp fluctuates when the air bubble passes the temp sensor.

When you first start up the Jeep does the gauge read lower and then move up to 225-230?
    If not I would suspect the wire to the sensor may have been knocked off or the sensor may have gone bad.
    1993 2 door 4x4 4.0 5 speed
    1997 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto RIP 6/6/2016
    2000 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto

Day of Dirt Adventure

Chats

gauge is at 0 when first started for the day and slowly warms up to temp as it did before parts change. with thermostat off or on i never feel pressure in top hose but it does get hot to the touch. and lower hose is not as hot but maybe like 20 degrees cooler. if i drive it till temp shows 225-230 and check my upper hose no pressure and i can remove radiator cap without anything shooting out. at that temp there should be some some pressure to relieve right??

Chats

gauge is at 0 when first started for the day and slowly warms up to temp as it did before parts change. with thermostat off or on i never feel pressure in top hose but it does get hot to the touch. and lower hose is not as hot but maybe like 20 degrees cooler. if i drive it till temp shows 225-230 and check my upper hose no pressure and i can remove radiator cap without anything shooting out. at that temp there should be some some pressure to relieve right??
    Wouldn't that mean the thermostat isn't open?

Chats

normally yes. but when i ran engine without thermostat the upper hose still had no pressure. with no thermostat there should of been some pressure right??

Chats

Put your old stuff back in and see what happens.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

whats agood way to check for coolant circulation in the block and in radiator?? i want to see if theres a blockage some where. when i filled up the system and ran the engine coolant didnt flow down instead it came up out the neck of rad.at operating temp... does that sound right??

Chats

whats agood way to check for coolant circulation in the block and in radiator?? i want to see if theres a blockage some where. when i filled up the system and ran the engine coolant didnt flow down instead it came up out the neck of rad.at operating temp... does that sound right??
    The only flow I know that can be checked is the radiator. I guess you could check it yourself if you knew what to look for. Personally after putting back the original parts and still having the problem I would remove the radiator, take it to a shop and have it checked.

How old is your fan clutch?

Chats

You will get some of this when the tstat opens of the radiator is really full. But if you get too much of this, then the radiator is probably at least partially blocked. You might want to get an opinion from an radiator shop.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Chats

fan clutch is about 6 months old but if that was no good wouldnt the temp be good driving on freeway?? and overheat at stop lights?? the temp is the same on streets&freeway.maybe goes up a hair on freeway... the heater on makes no diff in temp and cab gets hot too. sooo??? could repairing these parts maybe have allowed some gunk to free up and maybe move and clog rad or something?

Chats

fan clutch is about 6 months old but if that was no good wouldnt the temp be good driving on freeway?? and overheat at stop lights?? the temp is the same on streets&freeway.maybe goes up a hair on freeway... the heater on makes no diff in temp and cab gets hot too. sooo??? could repairing these parts maybe have allowed some gunk to free up and maybe move and clog rad or something?
    Have you tried the original parts yet? Maybe you did and I missed the post. I know I wouldn't want to put them back on so I would probably take the radiator out and have it checked, and flow tested.

Chats

Not sure if this is the case on yours. But yesterday when checking out my running warm problem on mine I noticed something weird. When the tstat would open the upper hose near the tstat neck would collapse almost completely shut. Therefore it was getting hardly any water flow. Now I have no idea why the upper hose would collapse. But it does on mine

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim350 View Post
    Not sure if this is the case on yours. But yesterday when checking out my running warm problem on mine I noticed something weird. When the tstat would open the upper hose near the tstat neck would collapse almost completely shut. Therefore it was getting hardly any water flow. Now I have no idea why the upper hose would collapse. But it does on mine
    isn't that considered the lower pressure side? New hose?

Chats

Default Re: Running hot after replacing water pump and thermostat!

Upper hose, that is a new one.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast