Thread: Leaking Clutch Master cylinder

Default Leaking Clutch Master cylinder

In the last 3 weeks,Ive replaced my Master cylinder for the clutch (located drvrs side firewall) ...worked great for a week,then one day the pedal went right to the floor, upon pumping about 5 times I gained a half a pedal. But its very spuratic & random wether i get good pedal or it goes to the floor. I assume air was in the line still. So i took the lid off,slowly pushed it to the floor with the reservious full & slowly let it up. Fluid barely went down but i still filled it up to MAX mark. Next day..........same problem. Pedal is very spuratic.Have to pump it several times to engage clutch so I can shift. This is a major Pain!. ? is ......Isnt Bleeding from the master cylinder a sufficiant way of getting the air out?? I didnt see any actual bubbles.
    Theres also a line coming OUT of the drvrs side tranny at the slave cylinder I guess, which has a little fitting on it. Looks as if you could put a grease gun on it or something. Is thios a Bleeder? if so, Whats the procedure bleeding it from there ? anyone know? this is going on 3 weeks of supposedly having air in the line.

Default Re: Leaking Clutch Master cylinder

Bleeding procedure is to crack open the bleeder valve. Get someone to push the pedal down. Put your finger over the end of the bleeder and then get your partner to release the pedal. Repeat until you get no air bubbles out of it then push down one last time, tighten the valve and release the pedal. If successful you will have full pedal then.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

I did this...problem is.when i push the pedal, it goes to the floor with just about no resistance. So the fluid just drips out the bleeder valve. If the pedal is pumped about 50 times it will have maybe a half a pedal,then it will drip out with a little more pressure. but then i topoff the reservious . But Im not gaining any pedal ...still goes right to the floor,after 50-ish pumps then it might have a little pedal,very next pump goes to teh floor though. Im on the brink of selling this POS just about. Ive redone everything that needed redone for the last year & This leak problem is just about got me there.

When you do get pedal, if you keep your foot on it, does it go down slowly?
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Hi,
    My XJ has auto transmission, but my alfa has manual one, in the Alfa, you have to bleen the slave cylander too (it is lower).
    Isn't it the same with the xj?
    Saar.

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Is this a manual brake system or power assist? if it's like my cherokee it's power assist and you could have a vac. leak and or a bad seal at the booster end. As far as I know the clutch system isn't connected to the brake system on jeeps.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail