Thread: Exhaust down pipe dent

Exclamation Exhaust down pipe dent

I have read a that more than a fews guys seem to think the dent in your down pipe from the manifold to the cat is factory, see pic.( Cherokee Talk let me upload a pic so do a search for exhaust down pipe dent and view, Why I can`t insert pic here ? )

I`m 100% sure that dent is not factory and I think I have read in a JP mag that the dent happens when the CRAP factory exhaust maniflod cracks and falls off while driving allowing the down pipe to fall on the front drive shaft denting it. I know remember JP mag said if you go to a wreckers you will have a 99% chance of not finding 1 that is not dented.

After searching my local wreckers and checking about ten XJ`s that all had dents, I took mine off and had a weld shop bang it out, he went at it for close to an hour and said it was solid and turned red with sparks flying every where so he did the best he could without bending the flange angle out of wack. it cost me 90.00 so I if I were you I would just have a muffler shop cut the pipe below the dent and weld on a new piece pipe & new flange.

The pipes I saw at the wrekers the dents were all different size but very close at 1st glance.

My XJ had a ticking sound before I had the dent removed, after dent removed, just butter.
    Last edited by honesT; 07-16-2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: can`t upload pic

Default Re: Exhaust down pipe dent

Terry, this server does not store your pics. You need to use a photo hosting service like photobucket. When you upload, set your photo preference to 15" screen, which is just about perfect for everyone. Place your cursor on the photo and a pop down menu will appear. Copy the code that starts with img and paste that and your photo will appear for us as we browse your thread.

Now, as to your problem. I have never seen one that wasn't pinched, even my stock 2.8L pipe was. It is done so that the pipe can clear the front diff/driveline when stuffed. Don't be surprise if you dent it some time down the pike. I am glad you solved your ticky sound though. I have often said that the 4.0 exhaust is far too restrictive.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Icon3 Re: Exhaust down pipe dent

cruiser54 @ jeep forum gave me some insight that is the only one that makes sence to me so far and I will be contacting JP mag to give them the info and bagger them.

Quote: Absolutely factory. Was there when we did the Pre-delivery Inspections at the dealership. It's not there for clearance either. It's disguised to be there for clearance but was added to the pipes in order to heat up the catalytic converter sooner to please the EPA.

If you are standard height, it will hit in some off-road conditions. With a 2 to 3" lift, you'll be fine. The factory could have put a sweep in that pipe, had no crush, and had tons of clearance but they didn't for the reasons stated in my previous post. I have a local muffler shop make me a downpipe with two 45s in it instead of the 90 like stock.

Default Re: Exhaust down pipe dent

mine is dented to. you can use one off of a 2wd XJ. They are smooth as a baby's a