Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53
  1. #1
    Weldmen is offline MEMBER OF THE GREEN JEEPS
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    450
    Chats
    2783

    Default Modified stock air box

    Well I installed a K&N filter tonight, and the Fire kit I won from the site and thought, why just do that?
    So here are a few pics of what I did to the air box.
    Enjoy
    FYI, My rig runs great with Mudderoys Firewire kit.
    Hoping to gain at least 5 miles per gallon with what I did tonight. Wish me luck







  2. #2
    oderdene's Avatar
    oderdene is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
    Posts
    7,061
    Chats
    91

    Default Re: Modified stock air box

    well done, looks very nice bro,
    '91 XJ Limited | 4.0 H.O. I6 | AW-4 | NP242J | D30 | C8.25 | BFG KM2 33x10.50x15 | front winch bumper ...

  3. #3
    Weldmen is offline MEMBER OF THE GREEN JEEPS
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    450
    Chats
    2783

    Default Re: Modified stock air box

    TY, Bit of a hack job on the air box but all I had was a dremel tool. lol

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Logan UT
    Posts
    1,321
    Chats
    5527

    Default Re: Modified stock air box

    good job... just curious what is your idea there ? a bigger air inlet for better airflow ? Is that correct ?
    Dang we will never know if your mpg improve because of the ignition kit or because of the better air lol
    "if yer not larnin sumptin new everday, check yer pulse."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Motley Virginia
    Posts
    2,150
    Chats
    25988

    Default Re: Modified stock air box

    Im also wondering if you do any water crossing wont that kill it?
    Shot of Whiskey and a camp fire. Perfect night time

  6. #6
    Weldmen is offline MEMBER OF THE GREEN JEEPS
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    450
    Chats
    2783

    Default Re: Modified stock air box

    Well as of the ride to and from work, I had just shy of 3/4 of a tank. and got home tonight after putting on about 39 miles I am still above half a tank. As for the not knowing which one gave me the better mileage, your right will have no idea. BUTT! I am very impressed with the Fire wire kit from Tony, (Mudderoy). Much better throttle response and more get go. I gaped my plugs at .054 And seems to be the right spot. The K&N filter is a bit more noisy than stock, I would assume it has to do with the modified air box. And FYI? I don't do deep water.
    Thanks for reading my post people
    Here is a little video after the Fire wire kit was installed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    27,250
    Chats
    30792

    Default Re: Modified stock air box

    Quote Originally Posted by Weldmen View Post
    Well as of the ride to and from work, I had just shy of 3/4 of a tank. and got home tonight after putting on about 39 miles I am still above half a tank. As for the not knowing which one gave me the better mileage, your right will have no idea. BUTT! I am very impressed with the Fire wire kit from Tony, (Mudderoy). Much better throttle response and more get go. I gaped my plugs at .054 And seems to be the right spot. The K&N filter is a bit more noisy than stock, I would assume it has to do with the modified air box. And FYI? I don't do deep water.
    Thanks for reading my post people
    Here is a little video after the Fire wire kit was installed.
    Oh remember you have made a big change to the ignition system. Your ECM needs to relearn. If you didn't reset the ECM you need to.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    728
    Chats
    449

    Default

    OK whats this firewire stuff
    99 XJ Sport
    97 XJ Sport
    Brisbane Jeep Club
    http://brisbanejeepclub.com

  9. #9
    Weldmen is offline MEMBER OF THE GREEN JEEPS
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    450
    Chats
    2783

    Default Re: Modified stock air box

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
    Oh remember you have made a big change to the ignition system. Your ECM needs to relearn. If you didn't reset the ECM you need to.
    Thanks Tony, I will tomarrow at work..

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    29,643
    Chats
    1838

    Default Re: Modified stock air box

    Quote Originally Posted by jccatt View Post
    OK whats this firewire stuff
    http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php...light=firewire
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

  11. #11
    cantab27's Avatar
    cantab27 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Christchurch new Zealand
    Posts
    14,994
    Chats
    22474

    Default Re: Modified stock air box

    nice curt....have you got some sort of filter in the hole you made????
    keeping it red........

    I DRIVE A BARBIE JEEP

    Quote Originally Posted by XJ4IV
    .... lol Im a jerk tonight!
    Originally Posted by bigjim350 View Post
    Think I would go that crazy too if my Jeep turned white

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGg0C...eature=related


  12. #12
    Weldmen is offline MEMBER OF THE GREEN JEEPS
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    450
    Chats
    2783

    Default Re: Modified stock air box

    Quote Originally Posted by cantab27 View Post
    nice curt....have you got some sort of filter in the hole you made????
    Thanks Wayne,
    I running just the K&N filter in the stock location in the air box. Do you think I need to add one in the larger hole I made?

  13. #13
    cantab27's Avatar
    cantab27 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Christchurch new Zealand
    Posts
    14,994
    Chats
    22474

    Default Re: Modified stock air box

    wouldnt hurt i dont think.....what do you guys think ???????
    keeping it red........

    I DRIVE A BARBIE JEEP

    Quote Originally Posted by XJ4IV
    .... lol Im a jerk tonight!
    Originally Posted by bigjim350 View Post
    Think I would go that crazy too if my Jeep turned white

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGg0C...eature=related


  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New Caney, TX
    Posts
    3,582
    Chats
    22489

    Default Re: Modified stock air box

    The hole he cut is still below the filter, so I dont think he would need another filter.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Logan UT
    Posts
    1,321
    Chats
    5527

    Default Re: Modified stock air box

    Quote Originally Posted by Weldmen View Post
    TY, Bit of a hack job on the air box but all I had was a dremel tool. lol
    I like the idea how about more details on ho you did it ? What materials etc...
    "if yer not larnin sumptin new everday, check yer pulse."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Stock air box
    By PEI-XJ in forum Modified
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-05-2011, 08:05 PM
  2. What's on your modified wish list?
    By Mudderoy in forum Modified
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-01-2011, 08:42 PM
  3. free modified stock lca's
    By msmoorenburg in forum For Sale
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-17-2011, 09:24 AM
  4. I got a stock XJ, whadda am I going to do?
    By Mudderoy in forum General Talk
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-23-2011, 09:21 AM
  5. K&N Air in stock - 4WheelingPlus.com
    By RTPG in forum Vendors - For Sale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2010, 09:45 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •