Thread: Details for a lift - Rough Country 6.5 in long arm

Default Details for a lift - Rough Country 6.5 in long arm

Background:
    So I've done a good bit of research and I've more or less settled on a lift kit. I'm looking at the Rough Country 6.5 inch long arm kit. It's going to be a little while until I can afford everything that I'll need (SYE driveshaft, kit, tires, etc) but right now I'm trying to pick out some new wheels and tires.
    I'm looking to go for 35 inch tires but I might play it safe and save myself some fender trimming by going with 33's to start (mind not made up) Note: I currently have a 29 spline Chrysler 8.25 out back but I think I will probably post-lift pre-gearing upgrade to a Ford 8.8. I also have ACOS in the front which give me a minimum of 1.75 inches of lift (don't know if they'll stay post lift)
    My goal for the build is to have a really well rounded rig that can play on the rocks, in the mud and tackle most trails.

My questions are as follows:
    What width wheels should I be looking to go with for a lift of this size?
    What associated backspacing should I be looking for? Rough Country's site says 4.5 but does the tire width change that?
    How much trimming will be involved with 35's (or 33's)? And do you suggest doing the fender trimming myself or paying someone to do a clean professional job? (I'm 90% sure I won't) and if so, what kind of costs should I expect?

** If anyone knows of a good offroad/4x4 shop in the Philly, PA area let me know. The place I normally do business with wanted to charge me with 24 hours of labor (85 per hour) to do the lift which is just about 3 times what the manufacturers website said and they quoted 1000 per axle to re-gear my axles up to 4.56. Those prices seem a waay high to me and that put a bad taste in my mouth about bringing my business there.

**** I also would be willing to buy the lift kit from any business affiliated with or a member of XJ Talk if they can beat the MSRP on Rough Country's website.

Default Re: Details for a lift - Rough Country 6.5 in long arm

6.5" with 35s can be a good combo. With 4.5" backspacing you will rub when at full turn on the lower link. 24 hrs is way too ling. They should be able to do it in 12 hrs if they are set up for it. If they have a hoist, then 8 hrs. 1000 per axle is average for a gear change with lockers in the deal. Otherwise, too steep. I would add, that since you
    are in the rust belt, that is with no broken bolts due to rust.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

I paid about 350 to have the lift installed and it took about 6 hours, that was a 4.5" RC lift with AAL. They had a lift and ONE strut compressor. lol

It took about 10 hours to install the 4.56 gears in my D30 and C8.25, but we had to redo a couple of things which probably added a couple of hours waiting for additional parts. Also the master rebuild kit didn't come with C8.25 axle bearings, and I didn't see much since in doing all that work without replacing those as well, so we had to wait on the bearings to be delivered from the parts place. I worked a deal for the gear install, but it would have been about 350 an axle, NOT including gears, master rebuild kit, or lockers.

I paid 508 for parts, plus another 35 for bearings. So maybe 1300 to have gears installed when you add in fluid, etc...

I have to have it done again when I get the lockers.

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

with that amount of lift, 35's will be good, look for a 10" wheel width with 3.5" back space this will allow the 35's to mount without side wall pooch. As far as finder trimming you're probably going to find you need some. Steve has the money figures and I would think just the lift should only be around 10 hours tops at an equipped shop that knows what they are doing. If your planning to swap out the axles, you might want to wait on the gear change and have that done to the new ones before you mount them up. why pay for two gear changes? on the other hand the 8.25 corporate is a pretty good axle strength wise, nearly as strong as a D44. still, it's your money in the end. Steve correct me if I'm wrong here.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

Looks good to me. I didn't think of the axle upgrade angle. But that is a good point. If 35s is the goal, he would be much better served by the Ford 8.8. The advantage here for him is that he can build the axle as funds accrue and not have the Jeep down.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff