Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TURN SIGNAL Loss

Default TURN SIGNAL Loss

Well,Ya might know when you put an old vehicle on the road ,theres bugs to work out. .....As i was heading to the store for gas,It went smoothlyu with the exception of my driver rear brake drum slightly rubbing faintly.
    But along the way I lost turn signals completely. Fuse is good. I have headlights & taiullights, just no turn signals at all. Are there any other reason why the Turn signals would just quit working?

Default Re: TURN SIGNAL Loss

I wanna say there is some type of relay on the fuse block. It's been so long since I've dealt with this issue that I'm not quite sure.

Check and make sure the wire for them hasnt corroded.
    Shot of Whiskey and a camp fire. Perfect night time

Ok it's called a flasher not a relay. It's the round thing located on the fuse panel. But when it goes out the turn signals stay on. May be a wiring issue. Sound like it's time to bust out the multimeter and wiring diagram. I really despise tracking down electrical problems.

Since i posted this,I went out & verified that when i press the brake pedal,both "arrows" on the dash light up . When i let off the brake they go out. And I have no hazard lights.So Im assuming the little bulbs are good. And all other lights all the way around the truck are good too. Just no flashers now as of about 3pm today. Hopeing i can track it down,because as stupid as it may sound to say this, It will be a crunch having to buy the round flasher relay thingys for the fusebox,yeh Im that broke*. I just need to figure it out before i get pulled over for no turn signal somehow.

More than likely it is the switch in your steering column, but I would investigate the flasher first. They are cheap.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

when i rebuilt the column about 8 months ago,I tried the lightly clean the points if i remember right. Been a while. Ihope its not that, i cant afford the cheap flasher relay things,but i sure cant afford a new swicth in the column cuz theyre probably 25 or more. Ty though. willl keep trying to figure this out. Wish there were a way of knowing if in a case where the flaher arrows come on but dont flash,if that would tell if it means its the flasher relay or not, but who knows.

Well, the way it works is if the arrows come on and stay on, it is the flasher. If the arrows come on when stepping on the brake, then it is in the column.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Before you tear into the column take your tail lights off leave the bulbs in the sockets. Run a wire to a good ground. Sometimes I just run one up the neg. on the battery using my jumper cables. Find the ground wire on the bulbs. I think it's the black wire on my 2001. Turn your turn signal on to one of the tail lights. Hook up your ground wire to the ground wire on the bulb. On mine I pushed a pin into the bulb wire and then just held my new ground wire to it. If the bulb starts flashing then you just have bad grounds. It could be in the sockets or where the ground wire is attached to the body.
    I've seen both tail lights flashing, the other brake light going out when the turn signal is flashing, dome lights flashing with the turn signals, and other things. Because the bulb has two elements and they are in a vacume, one element can feed back into the other when there is not a good path to ground. This is the same principal that a vacume tube works on.

Ugh * Well, My steering wheel isnt dead centered anyway when sitting in the seat, wheels straight forward. The Jeep Horn logo has about a 20 degree turn towards the left.Must have somehow happened when i did the column rebuild a while back. maybe i could kill 2 birds at once if thats the case.

Yep changing the flasher solved all my turn signals problems....
    Mine would work on one side and stay on (not flashing on the other and just in the front...) and work good with lights on....
    Turn signals are weird sometimes

Does your warning signal works (that to eliminate any wire and bulb problem ?)
    "if yer not larnin sumptin new everday, check yer pulse."

Nope, No Hasard lights at all , plus the turn signal arrows on the dash only light up as I push the brake pedal.

Weldmen is offline MEMBER OF THE GREEN JEEPS

Sounds like a bad ground to the body to me.

bad ground either at the lights or at the fuse block. or even at the battery. try re-grounding the ground wires by the sockets, & add a decent ground from battery to frame. also, check all of the bulbs for corrosion
    build it, abuse it, repair it. it's an XJ thing...a step above a jeep thing!

Ive ran an extra ground from the Neg terminal to the fender bolt & made sure to scrape it to bare metal before adding the wire. .All my lights work as far as parling lights front & back & headlights and reverse lights & brake lights go. guess i will have to buy a flasher relay thing. The round ones for the fuseblock.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast