Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chats

Default Re: Jeep 4.0L Head Removal, Repair, Replace

Good write-up.I have changed valve stem seals on 3 different engines without removing the head,but not on a Jeep.

dagr8tim is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Good write up. I'm amazed how clean the underside of the head and the cylinders were. How many miles?

Chats

well the head was a donor from the junkyard and I cleaned it before obviously.... I scrubbed it really good.
    The cylindes well I am glad you find it clean because I was wondering at the time if they were or not as it was my first time looking at inside an engine... they looked a little grainy to me but nothing major... I had a couple of crap inside one of the cylinder that I picked up.... I do not know really if it is all original, but the jeep is a 89 with over 200K miles... the donor was same year with 150K...

If I were to do it again, I would try to have a closer look at the lifters and actually pick them out... but as I have said before, it is a project and I am learning a binch with it
    "if yer not larnin sumptin new everday, check yer pulse."

Chats

Due to circumstances out of my control I didn't get the head pulled on my Jeep. A huge thank you for the write up, VERY useful. We both live in Utah, if you want to hone your skills and help me with mine.........

prerunner1982 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Nice write up, will probably be using it soon as well...

Also, no further than you moved the intake away from the engine couldn't you have left the throttle body on the intake? Same thing for the injector rail... if it is only pressed into the intake as long as you were careful not to hit the tips of the injectors could you leave it connected?

I and trying to make this as easy as possible.
    Last edited by prerunner1982; 03-22-2012 at 10:49 AM.
    1993 2 door 4x4 4.0 5 speed
    1997 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto RIP 6/6/2016
    2000 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto

Day of Dirt Adventure

Chats

Good write up, I actually was in the middle of doing one of these when i found your article. Very informative. I had only one difficulty, getting the #14 headbolt to torque.

I thought that having a crowfoot wrench would solve the problem, but finding a 12 point crowfoot is probably imposible. Here's my solution:

I took a 1/2' extension and a combination wrench and with the help of a die grinder and welder, I had my 12 point crowfoot wrench. And the result is a fully torqued head without resorting to cutting off the threaded stud. Which would be a teltale for someone who was looking at the car at resale time.

I'll try to post some pictures of my Cherokee in the near future, it is plain stock for now. There is a lift and off road accessories in it's future though. I'm also currently working on my 1985 CJ-7. Here's a picture of the wife driving it at "The Badlands" in Attica, IN.

Bob Petit
    NW Indiana

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by robertpetit57 View Post
    Good write up, I actually was in the middle of doing one of these when i found your article. Very informative. I had only one difficulty, getting the #14 headbolt to torque.

I thought that having a crowfoot wrench would solve the problem, but finding a 12 point crowfoot is probably imposible. Here's my solution:

I took a 1/2' extension and a combination wrench and with the help of a die grinder and welder, I had my 12 point crowfoot wrench. And the result is a fully torqued head without resorting to cutting off the threaded stud. Which would be a teltale for someone who was looking at the car at resale time.

I'll try to post some pictures of my Cherokee in the near future, it is plain stock for now. There is a lift and off road accessories in it's future though. I'm also currently working on my 1985 CJ-7. Here's a picture of the wife driving it at "The Badlands" in Attica, IN.

Bob Petit
    NW Indiana
    I know it's a Wrangler site, but I'd like to see some CJs there too.... http://www.WranglerTalk.com/, xjtalk's sister site.

Chats

Nice write up great and will be really helpful when I go to replace mine this week. I also found this post on youtube that people might find helpful when hanging there head or replacing there head gasket. http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29I5fNAv-8M

Chats

Yes, Carp Happened! But in the end, you accomplished what 99% of automobooble jockies wouldn't even try...
    You on the other hand, have proven that yes, in a pinch I CAN DO THAT!
    I don't know what experience you have with mechanics, but you did a great job,
    Saved yourself a differential full of bucks (To be applied to additional goodies) & next time,
    it will be a piece of cake!

I applaud your well produced journey & it's outcome!
    Bob, KJ5XJ
    1992 XJ
    4.0L, AW4, NP231, Bridgestone All terrain LT 32"
    Safari Rack, Bushwacker flairs, Bed-liner for paint
    Yup! That's my Beautiful baby!
    If you're not on ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12