Thread: GAS /BRAKE PEDAL oops

Default GAS /BRAKE PEDAL oops

a guy at work has like a 98 Wrangle, real nice.....well as he was pulling up to the curb,he somehow hit the gas as he was braking . I looked at his pedals & they are kinda close together. Back home later.....as I was tooling around the yard,like i always do(no plates yet) ....I also noticed just how close my gas pedal is to my brake pedal. there Might be an inch inbetween.Just guessing. - Ive caught myself dragging the edge of the brake pedal a few times, but I blamed my big stupid work boots for it. .....But I wanted to ask yall what yall thought. - Are the pedals slightly too close to each other? is there a "quik fix" solution to the problem? or it is what it is & I have to be Xtra carful. Id like to somehow someway make some modification just to gain a hal;f inch inbetween to the pedals.

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Default Re: GAS /BRKE PEDAL oops

It isn't hard but it does require taking the pedals out so you can do a heat and bend of the pedal arms, below the pivot points. you can get a whole inch by doing that mod. without having to add any metal.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

Default Re: GAS /BRAKE PEDAL oops

forgot to mention that it will raise the brake pedal a tad, unless you want to cut and lengthen the arm after the bends are made.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

I would Love to do that. But dont have the equiptment to do that kind of heating. I noticed that my carpet slightly bows out from the center hump next to the pedal by about 3/4" ......Would driving one small short machine screw w/washer into the carpet,drawing it close to the hump,allowing me a bit more space ...be a bad idea? It would work. 1 scheetmetal screw .......but i think it would look tacky kinda.

that would work but you could also just reglue the carpet down with no holes required. I've bent pedal arms with just a propane torch as the heat source, takes a little longer than my rosebud and oxy/acet rig but it does work and you can do it without a vice. I have used vice grips and a 12" crecent to do the bending job.

Icon7 Re: GAS /BRAKE PEDAL oops

You could practice your rallycross driving skills and learn to use them at the same time. The technique also works very well while turning in sand.

well.........Removing the entire pedal got me shaking. Been doing projects on that truck for a full year now & the last few months Ive just gotten my belly full for taking on big projects because everything i take on doing wether it be heater core replace, or small rust hole, or whatever it might be seems tpo snoball into a much bigger project seems like. I just may have to check into seeing what removing the pedal entails

usually there is only one bolt to remove. If I have some time this weekend I'll take some pictures of the assembly and post a how too for you.

ok, cool