Chats

Default Home made battery

OK, don;t get all excited, it is just a stupid science fair project question....
    but I guess the answer would be useful for those who want to dual wire batteries....

Stepson is doing a project to make a battery out of potatoes.... to power a small electromagnet

So he get stuck at one point and my knowledge of batteries and electricity is limited.

The Q is simple : Are these correct ?
    1/ Increase voltage: connect batteries in series increase volts but not amps
    2/ Increase amps: connect batteries in parallel increase amps but not volts.

made me think.... So in the case of dual battery in a car. how do you connect them together and for what benefit ?
    "if yer not larnin sumptin new everday, check yer pulse."

Chats

Default Re: Home made battery

Quote Originally Posted by steph74 View Post
    OK, don;t get all excited, it is just a stupid science fair project question....
    but I guess the answer would be useful for those who want to dual wire batteries....

Stepson is doing a project to make a battery out of potatoes.... to power a small electromagnet

So he get stuck at one point and my knowledge of batteries and electricity is limited.

made me think.... So in the case of dual battery in a car. how do you connect them together and for what benefit ?
    ok let me think about this for a min

first this might help

the v is volts the i is amps and the r is resistant

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_2/1.html

increase voltage is wire them in series. and you get more usable amps in parallel i think ?
    Last edited by rguignard; 02-11-2011 at 10:55 AM.
    i know my spelling and grammer are bad but dont worry its not getting any better

Chats

first measurments... we would need a lot of potatoes to power a car lol... good thing we live next to idaho

Chats

series increases voltage, parallel voltage stays the same but you can DRAW a higher amount of amps, up to what the multiple batteries can supply.

Chats

oh I see so parallel is how you would mount car batteries because you need amps and not higher voltage ? right it kind of make sense

Chats

oh I see so parallel is how you would mount car batteries because you need amps and not higher voltage ? right it kind of make sense
    Well my understanding there are 24 volt electrical systems, and even positive ground systems. So "generally" 12 volt negative ground is what we deal with, so you wouldn't want to have a voltage greater than save 14 volts, or so. The 24 volt systems have two 12 volt batteries in series. I recall a military vehicle does this.

Parallel would increase the current capacity available to the electrical system. The problem with connecting two batteries together is they will draw from each other and try to balance the capacity of the two, three, four, etc... One bad battery can cause the other batteries to discharge. In a vehicle the result can be you have two dead batteries.

Chats

You got it
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

On Semi trucks they are wired in series because many of them run 24V for the starters.

Military too for the radios
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

This is a really good article with pictures of a dual setup on a jeep XJ. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...tery_setup.htm
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

Chats

Speaking of kids science experiments...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTZm5cRrCH0[/ame]

Chats

Good demonstration of the coriollis force
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Chats

Dang why didn't he pick something like that.... that is way cooler than working with electricity
    Heck even some biological science would have been better....

Chats

I started thinking about a large heat source, 100's of gallons of water and 50 pound blocks of ice to make one in the back yard.

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

hold on dorothy, there's a storm a brewing.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail