Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chats

Default Re: Flushing and bleeding your coolant...

Cool , this is Definately on my list of Things to do. By the looks of how my cooling system looks,I bet it will be ...the same as if The day After someone were to have a long night....of drinking a 12 pak of Old Miluakees Best ...yeh,anyho Very cool writeup & cool pix too*

Chats

I have always been under the impresion that you need at least some antifreez or else the inside of your motor will rust and block your rad and heater core. Not to mention that it raises the boiling temp??

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by jetboy287 View Post
    I have always been under the impresion that you need at least some antifreez or else the inside of your motor will rust and block your rad and heater core. Not to mention that it raises the boiling temp??
    Im not too sure if theres a correct answer , But....when the time comes to get My Project on the road once all my metal work is done....I postively will be flushing my system and refilling it with 50/50 water AND antifreeze. Only because IMO it does seem to avoid rust,visually atleast.

Chats

Antifreeze does help a little from rusting but its mainly helps the water from freezing up north where the temp gets below 32 degrees..... I live in florida so I just like to have it so if I have a leak I know whats leaking
    You know that look women get when they want sex? Me neither!

TeXJ is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

I know late to the party... Great write-up!!

Antifreeze is also a lubricant for your water pump. It helps with the seals and lubricating the fan blade for the pump. Do not run without antifreeze in your vehicle!
    GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER

1997 AW4 sport, 4.0L, 33's

Chats

Good ideas on cleaning your cooling system but should add another easy item to your list. Remove your overflow/burp bottle and drain and clean it. It's always overlooked and the flushing method doesn't touch it. But by removing a couple of screws a one hose it's off and cleaned with very little effort. Just stick a spray nozzle on your hose and place it into the large opening and spray away while holding it upside down.

Chats

Its not the anti-freeze that provides the corrosion protection ... but the additives that are added to the anti-freeze.

As for raising the boiling temp ... Yes it does ... slightly ... It also retains heat when passing through the rad - compared to water ... So IMHO the raised temp benefit is not really a gain.
    I hate watching simplicity and reliability being ruined by bureaucracy and technology.

Quote Originally Posted by MattybPDX
    If my jeep is going to be a grocery getter it's at least going to be a friggin awesome one.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by TeXJ View Post
    I know late to the party... Great write-up!!

Antifreeze is also a lubricant for your water pump. It helps with the seals and lubricating the fan blade for the pump. Do not run without antifreeze in your vehicle!
    I Havent had antifreeze in mine in roughly a year. Need to do another flush and find out why my reserviour leaks no matter what,only about a quart per week.

Chats

I reverse flushed my heater core first with water and compressed air isolated from the system. Good thing too, since lots of crud came out. Flushed until water was clear. Then put in some CLR with the core hoses elevated and let it sit in there for 10-15mins. -then reflushed it. Removed the air box, to access and remove the lower radiator hose. Flushed & burped the coolant system.
    Made an 80%+ increase in heat ouput from the heater. Runs cooler too.

Chats

I know this is a hell of a bump but I'm trying to follow this guide. Do you drain the radiator before you fill it up with the flush fluid or just throw the flush fluid on top of the old coolant thats in there?

Chats

I would honestly drain it first. I don't have any science to back that up, but I drained my system and even flushed it with water for a while before I even put the chemicals in there. Just my ...

Chats

justr did this to my 99 xj and it worked awesome thx man!!!

Chats

do you have to flush and refill the coolant first before "burping" or "vurping" the engine, i know its a silly question but this is my first time attempting to fix my truck, i have a jeep Cherokee 1996 sport, if it helps answer my question, i would appreciate any help and guiding

Chats

Yours does not have the sealed system. No burping necessary. Fill it, run it to operating temp and then top it off and you will be done
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

I'm not a EnviroNazi, or anything close. But as someone that has 3 dogs and a cat, just letting that anti-freeze run on the ground is not a great idea. I know that it creates a lot of problems, because now you need to somehow collect all that waste fluid out of the cooling system. Anti-freeze causes kidneys, animal and human, to start forming crystals that shred the organ. A very painful way to go, from what I understand, and anyone that has had kidney stones can appreciate.
    Not telling anyone how to do anything, but just a consideration.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12