Thread: Engine Break-In Tech!

Icon1 Engine Break-In Tech!

Hey you guy's, I have a question i have never asked anybody. With a remanufactured engine. What kind of oil should i use on break in time and for how long? And what's the scoop on going to a good synthetic for full time use?
    PVT. Tadpol XJ

Default Re: Engine Break-In Tech!

I would go with Royal Purple Break In oil,plus if it was me I would let motor break in for at least 500 miles, then for a Synthetic oil to use after I would go with Mobil 1. Hope this helps ya some.
    Shot of Whiskey and a camp fire. Perfect night time

One thing to watch in todays oil market is the phosphorus content of the oil. Many synthetics do not have it or a very low content. The 4.0 is an old school flat tappet engine that requires those types of additives. Most lifters on the newer engines, like 90 and newer have roller cams/lifters in them and don't require those additives. The break in oils have extra amounts of it in them to help break in the camshafts, which on a flat tappet engine have to be work hardened to keep from wearing out prematurely.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

I usually break in for 1000 miles. I'm a castrol syntec user (sponsors sometimes count) but most of the top quality oils are close to each other. I also dump in some extra additives.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

for what it's worth here's my ... i help run a family owned machine shop we rebuild engines...first 500 miles stay under 55-65. then change the oil & put in synthetic for 1000 to 1500 miles & you should be good after one more oil change . it doesnt hurt to check your timing at this point & check the valves.
    build it, abuse it, repair it. it's an XJ thing...a step above a jeep thing!